The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

'Ways of Listening' Module: What is it?

In September I will be enrolling on the Music (BMus) course and rn I'm looking at my optional courses before Welcome Week.

At the moment I'm conflicted between this module and another because I'm not too sure what the module's purpose is.

If you didn't know, Edinburgh has two music degrees the general arts Music (MA) and the BMus. 'Ways of Listening' is a compulsory module in the MA but not in the BMus, which include Performance & Keyboard, Composition and Musicianship as its own core modules.

The course description says it will teach you to "think critically and write well about music" which sounds pretty appealing all in all, but because the MA is a general arts degree and, in my academic entry year, is available to students with less musical qualifications, I'm concerned this is more of an introductory course with a combination of the aural training I would already get in my Musicianship core class and musical concepts in general.

The course itself says "you do not need speicalist music training to take this course" which I'm not sure whether to interpret as a reassurance to potential non-musical students or whether it implies redundancy to those with that training.

Ik I could just wait until Welcome Week to ask about the module but I was wondering if any stray students on this form had taken this module and had any thoughts, or anyone with a more general opinion.

Cheers :smile:
Here's the link to the course description for thought:
http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/18-19/dpt/cxmusi08063.htm
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by thewrongofsummer
In September I will be enrolling on the Music (BMus) course and rn I'm looking at my optional courses before Welcome Week.

At the moment I'm conflicted between this module and another because I'm not too sure what the module's purpose is.

If you didn't know, Edinburgh has two music degrees the general arts Music (MA) and the BMus. 'Ways of Listening' is a compulsory module in the MA but not in the BMus, which include Performance & Keyboard, Composition and Musicianship as its own core modules.

The course description says it will teach you to "think critically and write well about music" which sounds pretty appealing all in all, but because the MA is a general arts degree and, in my academic entry year, is available to students with less musical qualifications, I'm concerned this is more of an introductory course with a combination of the aural training I would already get in my Musicianship core class and musical concepts in general.

The course itself says "you do not need speicalist music training to take this course" which I'm not sure whether to interpret as a reassurance to potential non-musical students or whether it implies redundancy to those with that training.

Ik I could just wait until Welcome Week to ask about the module but I was wondering if any stray students on this form had taken this module and had any thoughts, or anyone with a more general opinion.

Cheers :smile:

In the first year, pretty much every module for nearly every School is open to anyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending