The Student Room Group

Help im doing awful in second year

i'm a second year biomed and i keep doing AWFUL i dont know whats going wrong, im currently at a 2.2 and just finished my first term and really really want a first and got a first in my first year but omg im doing so bad and every time i submit an assignment i think its gone well and im happy with it all and then it comes back at 50% and a little while ago i had an exam i revised for it for hours and hours well in advance i tired my best and only got like 60% :frown: im going to have to balance my current modules this term with revising for summer exams and i need to score really high in the summer exams because i scored so poorly in everything last term, im struggling so much and i dont know why i keep getting so low bc i read the feedback but theres never lots there its always useless and i need someone to tell me how to go to from a 2.2 to a first in probably one of the busiest terms ever.
(edited 3 months ago)
Your tutor should be able to help with detailed specific advice on what you need to be including in your work to improve your results
Original post by luna676
i'm a second year biomed and i keep doing AWFUL i dont know whats going wrong, im currently at a 2.2 and just finished my first term and really really want a first and got a first in my first year but omg im doing so bad and every time i submit an assignment i think its gone well and im happy with it all and then it comes back at 50% and a little while ago i had an exam i revised for it for hours and hours well in advance i tired my best and only got like 60% :frown: im going to have to balance my current modules this term with revising for summer exams and i need to score really high in the summer exams because i scored so poorly in everything last term, im struggling so much and i dont know why i keep getting so low bc i read the feedback but theres never lots there its always useless and i need someone to tell me how to go to from a 2.2 to a first in probably one of the busiest terms ever.

Hey,

I'm sorry you're not doing as well as you want to be, definitely know how frustrating it can be! I agree with the above, try to talk to your academic advisor or maybe your student learning advisory service if you have one. They may be able to look over your work in more depth and work out where you can improve.

Best of luck with everything!
Natalie
Original post by luna676

@luna676

Try not to stress (I know that's easier said than done) but when you are stressed it's difficult to think clearly and to get work done to the best standard, so do make sure you are making time to switch off from work.

It's really difficult to balance modules, assignments and exams. It may be that you need to spend more time on some modules than others.

Talk to people in your class who may be able to help you with revision techniques or even someone who might be able to be a support to you as a library buddy. Others might be feeling the same way as you, so it might help to talk about things and to know that you're not on your own trying to juggle everything!

It might also be useful to check the marking criteria for any upcoming assignments, as it may be that you are writing lots of interesting and great things, but that you are being marked on something completely different and so you are missing out on marks.

Finally, instead of thinking about getting a first and putting lots of pressure on yourself, it might be better to just think about doing your best. If you are doing that, then hopefully you will feel less frustrated and be in a better place to succeed.

All the best!

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by luna676

Hi @luna676

I'm a biochemistry student - so I understand where you're coming from. If it makes you feel better, the transition to second year usually hits everyone like a sack of bricks, it literally sucks and it's definitely a step up in content and work load (all the second years warned me when I started university and I didn't listen to them)!

Do you have a personal/academic tutor? It might be worth arranging a meeting with them to discuss how you're feeling and they might be able to shed some light on your feedback. Also, if you were convinced you had done well on a piece of work and don't understand the grade/feedback, maybe reach out to the module lead and ask if you could discuss it with them, there's a chance it's style of question you misinterpreted or your university has a very specific answer format in mind.

Some university departments also offer assistance with certain areas of work, I know Lancaster offers support with maths and stats and scientific writing, so maybe look out for that?

Please don't panic! Good luck with second term,
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending