The Student Room Group

Going from gcse double award science to A level science. Help!!

Hi, I’ve just finished my gcse exams a couple of months ago and now I have just over a week till I get my results. However, I’m actually a lot more worried about a level Chemistry, BIology and Physics as I had no choice but to do double award at gcse. I’m not naturally talented at science so I’m afraid I wont be able to keep up. I’m predicted A*A* but I think AA/A*A is more realistic. Should I do tripple science revision now? Could anyone please give me an insight of how hard science is at AS?
Original post by Anna191817
Hi, I’ve just finished my gcse exams a couple of months ago and now I have just over a week till I get my results. However, I’m actually a lot more worried about a level Chemistry, BIology and Physics as I had no choice but to do double award at gcse. I’m not naturally talented at science so I’m afraid I wont be able to keep up. I’m predicted A*A* but I think AA/A*A is more realistic. Should I do tripple science revision now? Could anyone please give me an insight of how hard science is at AS?

Definitely not a good idea. Why have you opted to do A-level Sciences without the requisite knowledge? You have missed B3, C3 and P3 meaning it will be a catch up exercise before you have even started.

Triple Science students will have done the more advanced GCSE combination for a reason; maybe to do A-levels in these subjects?

I would get this sorted as soon as possible.
As far as i’m concerned, no one in my year was offered to do tripple science. I have no idea what b3 is but I assume that maybe teachers will go over the same work again. Also, when you say “sorting this out” do you mean revising the extra content by the time school starts?
did you do higher combined or foundation combined?
Original post by entertainmyfaith
did you do higher combined or foundation combined

higher
higher

there'll be people who'll do a-levels in science following higher combined at gcse. you'll be fine if you wanna do them for a-level though there'll be a few topics you won't be familiar with. i'd recommend looking at the specs for triple and combined and seeing what's different. are you planning on doing all 3 sciences for a-level?
Original post by entertainmyfaith
there'll be people who'll do a-levels in science following higher combined at gcse. you'll be fine if you wanna do them for a-level though there'll be a few topics you won't be familiar with. i'd recommend looking at the specs for triple and combined and seeing what's different. are you planning on doing all 3 sciences for a-level?

That depends on whether or not I get A*A*. After reading forums about this, I feel like I have no hopes of getting an A at AS.

OP, it is most certainly not a bad idea. At my school, everyone did Double Science, regardless of ability (and this is a high performing school), and therefore everyone in my A-level Physics and Chemistry classes (with the exception of a couple of newbies like myself, who did Triple at their old schools in Yr11) did not do P3/C3. Having completed Year 12, I can honestly tell you that doing Triple has given me virtually no advantage- there is barely any crossover between Unit 3 and AS, and what is there will be spelled out beginning to end (no knowledge assumed). For example, Hard Water was a major topic in C3 (A*-G spec)... have I ever been called on to use that knowledge at A-Level? Nope!

Doing Double doesn't make you bad at Science, or put you so far behind you'll never keep up. Keep on top of revision, practice your exam technique and you'll go far. :smile:
That depends on whether or not I get A*A*. After reading forums about this, I feel like I have no hopes of getting an A at AS.

grades at gcse don't always determine how you perform at a-level:yep: if you really enjoy all of them and they may be useful to you in the future, i'd say go for it!

Quick Reply

Latest