The Student Room Group

are these good options?

maths, fm, bio, chem
Depends on what you want to do after A-Levels.
yes
Reply 3
Original post by Bill Nye
Depends on what you want to do after A-Levels.

im still not sure yet
Original post by hugebrain
im still not sure yet

I mean they are good options and you can do alot with them, but you might want to start thinking about what you want to do in the future eg if you like the look of engineering, then physics might be a good option etc.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Yeah that's what I do and it works well
Reply 6
Original post by luke8907
Yeah that's what I do and it works well

Cool, what degree are you planning to do?
Reply 7
Cool, what degree are you planning to do?

hopefully biochem at Oxford
maths, fm, bio, chem

you are gunna have to be prepared alot considering the drastic changes to a levels and you should be extremely good at maths.. ideally done additional maths for gcse
Reply 9
Original post by Saif Saleemi
you are gunna have to be prepared alot considering the drastic changes to a levels and you should be extremely good at maths.. ideally done additional maths for gcse

i did ocr add maths at gcse and have had a look at some of the fm course

should be fine but don't mess around in yr 12 alot of people who are capable of a full string of A*s and A's fall jnto that trap..
Reply 11

If it's engineering you want to do then i would recommend Maths as essential, before Physics. Further Maths is completely optional, unless you want a top tier Maths degree; but remember it is by far the hardest. I know a lot of people with Bs and low As in A Level Maths (and high A to low A* in GCSE) who near 100%ed some of the trickier modules of regular maths; and only got a D in Further Maths.

Bio is going to be a memory test for a lot of it; but also is going to include more statistics type Maths than Physics and Chem. Its got a lot of content.
All the sciences are quite hard same as Maths. So don't expect hard work to simply equal grades like in GCSE, you might fail a couple times before you finally master a difficult part.

STEM A Levels IMO are trickier than Humanity A Levels. So what I would recommend is picking your two favorite STEMs plus one Humanity. People might claim that there's some overlap between the Sciences and the Maths. But that's only really FM and Maths. I found Physics, Chem, Bio curriculum was almost designed so there would not be that much overlap.

If you want to game theory it, pick a humanity with few exams to do, and more course work. This will reduce the amount of exams you have at the end of year 13, free your time to focus your efforts or even do a resit from year 12 to maximize your UMS.

History is quite good even if you didn't do it for GCSE and your essays skills aren't the best.

Difficulty IMO+friends opinions and shown in our results: (most to least)
Further Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Maths
Biology
History

For degrees: (No order)
Maths + Physics or Further Maths for Engineer even for Biomedical it's all you really need.
Chem + Maths for Chemical Engineer tho. (Physics is a bonus for both)
Chem(always required) + Bio or Maths some even require both for Medicine. (Aston for instance considers Physics as well required RIP, but not places like Cambridge who only want Chem + Bio or Maths or Physics)
Maths + FM for Maths degree.
Physics + Maths for Physics degree. (Chem is a bonus)
History + anything really for History same for Psychology and a lot of humanities.

For prospects generally: (By highest salary to lowest)
Medicine
Engineer (Chemical Engineer being highest because of petroleum, but subject to change to things like Aerospace)
Maths
Chem
Bio

But remember it's completely up to you and what you want to do in future should be the most important factor to concern yourself with.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest