The Student Room Group

RAF IOT, initial Officer training - medical.

Just wondering if anyone can offer any advice here, I was declared TMU due a mild case of ibs however it’s now been two years since so have reapplied and waiting for my medical. I am just thinking ahead, if I pass this medical and the capita doctor doesn’t find my previous ibs an issue. If I get through to IOT, do you have another medical where the doctor has access to your medical records? I’m just really conscious of getting all the way to IOT and the doctor doing the medical and saying no because of the ibs on my medical records - or is this extremely unlikely to happen if I’ve been declared fit by capita?
Original post by Ftilley

Once you've joined, like moving house in civvy street, the Medics will have your entire medical record. However, you won't have another pass/fail medical at IOT. You simply have regular medicals, and if you get a new condition that precludes service, decisions get made.

If Capita declare you fit, then you are fit, unless/until something changes.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Once you've joined, like moving house in civvy street, the Medics will have your entire medical record. However, you won't have another pass/fail medical at IOT. You simply have regular medicals, and if you get a new condition that precludes service, decisions get made.

If Capita declare you fit, then you are fit, unless/until something changes.

Hi, thanks for coming back so quickly!
I’m just really conscious that capita will make a decision without seeing medical records although I’ll tell them the details, then a raf doc will come along at IOT medical and view the medical records in my first week of IOT and say no. But from what you’ve said this won’t happen?
Your selection medical at OASC is where you will pass/fail. Once you have been selected and are in the RAF the annual medical you have is different criteria.
Reply 4
Original post by AlphaTango
Your selection medical at OASC is where you will pass/fail. Once you have been selected and are in the RAF the annual medical you have is different criteria.

I wasn’t aware there was a medical at oasc, that’s good to know. Do you know if they have access to my medical records at oasc to make a decision?
Yes they will need to check your medical records before joining.
Original post by Ftilley
I wasn’t aware there was a medical at oasc, that’s good to know. Do you know if they have access to my medical records at oasc to make a decision?

Your medical records follow you around through an NHS system as you move house etc in civilian life. They do exactly the same when you join the Armed Forces - your civvy docs go from your GP to the Station medical officer and continue to follow you around your Service career, and then when you leave, they are all passed on to your new civvy GP.

During the recruitment process, Capita are authorised to see your medical records for the purposes of the recruitment medical. They decide if you meet the medical criteria or not. But eventually (all these moves always take time), your civvy medical records from your last GP will end up at Cranwell/Halton and the MO will be able to see it all.

Certainly if aircrew, you will have an annual medical to check you are still fit to fly and serve. I presume ground-pounders have a similar annual check.

Quick Reply

Latest