The Student Room Group

What to wear as a PhD student?

I'm going back to university this month, and thought I would dress a bit smarter than I did as an undergrad (jeans and hoodie). I'll be in some lectures with masters and other PhD students and don't want to come across as a posh stuck up idiot for dressing smart (am female btw). Is this worry unfounded and just go in what I feel comfortable in?

Advice very much appreciated :smile:
Original post by Noodlzzz
I'm going back to university this month, and thought I would dress a bit smarter than I did as an undergrad (jeans and hoodie). I'll be in some lectures with masters and other PhD students and don't want to come across as a posh stuck up idiot for dressing smart (am female btw). Is this worry unfounded and just go in what I feel comfortable in?

wear a roadman tracksuit to emphasise intellect xddd

You might not want to be the guy wearing a suit when all your colleagues are wearing jeans and a t-shirt. But, you can wear a pair of trousers (not necessarily black) and put a casual shirt with it. That way its smarter than scruffy jeans and a t-shirt, but you don't stick out like a sore thumb. Maybe try smart-causal as opposed to all out smart wear.
Reply 3
Original post by stettafire
You might not want to be the guy wearing a suit when all your colleagues are wearing jeans and a t-shirt. But, you can wear a pair of trousers (not necessarily black) and put a casual shirt with it. That way its smarter than scruffy jeans and a t-shirt, but you don't stick out like a sore thumb. Maybe try smart-causal as opposed to all out smart wear.

Yes I should of clarified - smart casual, not a full on suit! Thanks for the input :smile:
The PhD students at my uni dress worse than the students!!
Just be comfortable
Original post by iElvendork
The PhD students at my uni dress worse than the students!!
Just be comfortable

Ha, ha. Yes, this is true. During my HND graduation ceremony the head of Computing, Science, Technology and Engineering was wearing jeans and trainers underneath his robe
Top: Something durable and easy care with a chest pocket so you can have a nice neat line of pens. e.g. poly-cotton polo shirt
Bottom: Black combat trousers - again easy laundry & lots of tactical pockets.

Clothes are the shackles of an illiberal society. Cast them off and feel the freedom brush against your skin.
Reply 8

You should check what some senior academics wear for guidance.

https://thetab.com/uk/cambridge/2018/07/22/caius-economics-fellow-protests-naked-in-viral-video-113007

(In other words, it doesn't matter... :wink: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
You should check what some senior academics wear for guidance.

https://thetab.com/uk/cambridge/2018/07/22/caius-economics-fellow-protests-naked-in-viral-video-113007

(In other words, it doesn't matter...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh it's her again.

Gown and mortarboard at every lecture, its compulsory.
A lot of the time I wear a dark tshirt and a black Jean with a black coat on top and I look very smart despite of how much more casual and comfortable they are :smile:
A18A8C80-7197-43A0-B4A0-6760CDEFA207.jpeg
Go in dressed like this
Original post by RichPiana
A18A8C80-7197-43A0-B4A0-6760CDEFA207.jpeg
Go in dressed like this

mandem on the wall i see youuu
Reply 14
Original post by thotproduct
mandem on the wall i see youuu

Shall I dash him blud?

Quick Reply

Latest