The Student Room Group

Questions for Muslims (from Non-Muslim)

Hi!

Sorry, I'm about to go ahead and sound a bit dumb!

Okay so I'm a non-Muslim and I'm currently taking part in a little workshop about understanding the community in my village

(Background:smile:

Spoiler

I wanted to research interfaith marriage in Islam as more people come and make their homes and live with us.

However, I'm getting a *lot* of mixed messages from some of the stuff I've read and tbh that could just be me not reading it/interpreting it well.

So, if you have a little time at all, please let me hear your views on this stuff :smile: <3 (You don't need to answer it all, but the more info, the more accurate I can make my response)

Do you agree with Interfaith marriage? Why?

Does this depend on the gender? Why? (Christian Man + Muslim Woman vs Muslim Man + Christian Woman)

Does this depend on religion (e.g. is a Jewish partner with the monotheistic religion viewed differently to a Hindu partner?)

Do you know of times when people convert to Islam for marriage? Is this okay?

Would you potentially consider Interfaith marriage if that was the situation? How would your community and peers view this, do you think?

Can you be a good Muslim whilst being in an Interfaith marriage, iyo?

What can we all do to make society more accepting of Muslims who marry outside Islam?

Thanks so much for your help! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

[li]Do you agree with Interfaith marriage? Why?[/li]

Yes, only if the person do not do shirk (associate partners with GOD) and believe in one GOD

[li]Does this depend on the gender? Why? (Christian Man + Muslim Woman vs Muslim Man + Christian Woman)[/li]

In Islam man is allowed to marry a woman from other faiths (people of the book, Jews, Christians etc)

[li]Do you know of times when people convert to Islam for marriage? Is this okay?[/li]

Its ok as long as the person converting accepts Islam from heart and not for marriage only.

[li]Would you potentially consider Interfaith marriage if that was the situation? How would your community and peers view this, do you think?[/li]

Yes I would but she has to respect and understand Islam and believe in the last prophet. Some people dont like people marrying people from other faiths, others dont really care.

[li]Can you be a good Muslim whilst being in an Interfaith marriage, iyo?[/li]

Yes.

[li]What can we all do to make society more accepting of Muslims who marry outside Islam?[/li]

Well islam is not for muslims only it was meant for all humanity. So all this inhumane and extremism propoganda is no where near islam. And people who are against marrying women from other faith are mostly because of cultural differences and social pressure.
(edited 5 years ago)
No, I do not agree with interfaith marriages. Its a complete waste of time. They don’t believe in the same god and when they’re dead, you can’t even pray for them cause they didn’t die a muslim. You won’t be able to meet in heaven.
Yeah I know but believing in someone else other than Allah is like the worst sin in Islam. Nah sis, you don’t know for sure. Even I don’t know that some Non muslims May go heaven.
Original post by Rainfall
No, I do not agree with interfaith marriages. Its a complete waste of time. They don’t believe in the same god and when they’re dead, you can’t even pray for them cause they didn’t die a muslim. You won’t be able to meet in heaven.

There are people who believe in one GOD but they dont follow quran but rather follow their own book and rules which makes sense to them. When one is born Jew or Christian or any other faith its hard to leave it completely there maybe number of reasons for that.
Reply 5
Yeah I know but believing in someone else other than Allah is like the worst sin in Islam. Nah sis, you don’t know for sure. Even I don’t know that some Non muslims May go heaven.

Don't they technically worship the same god? The god of Abraham?
Original post by ab173
Don't they technically worship the same god? The god of Abraham?

If they don’t believe Allah is god and prophet Muhammad(saw) is the messenger of Allah then that’s unnecessary
Original post by Warrior Gene
There are people who believe in one GOD but they dont follow quran but rather follow their own book and rules which makes sense to them. When one is born Jew or Christian or any other faith its hard to leave it completely there maybe number of reasons for that.

What does that have to do with getting married to a Muslim? If they can’t convert to Islam then the relationship is haram
What does that have to do with getting married to a Muslim? If they can’t convert to Islam then the relationship is haram

“Made lawful to you this day are At‑Tayyibaat [all kinds of Halaal (lawful) foods, which Allaah has made lawful (meat of slaughtered eatable animals, milk products, fats, vegetables and fruits)]. The food (slaughtered cattle, eatable animals) of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) is lawful to you and yours is lawful to them. (Lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time when you have given their due Mahr (bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage), desiring chastity (i.e. taking them in legal wedlock) not committing illegal sexual intercourse, nor taking them as girlfriends”

[al-Maa’idah 5:5]
Reply 9
If they don’t believe Allah is god and prophet Muhammad(saw) is the messenger of Allah then that’s unnecessary

Umm will you please tell me what saw is?
Original post by ab173
Umm will you please tell me what saw is?

It short in Arabic for peace be upon him.
Reply 11
Original post by johhnyman2635
It short in Arabic for peace be upon him.

Why not just use the English short version????
Original post by ab173
Why not just use the English short version????

Why not use the arabic version?
Reply 13
Why not use the arabic version?
Because we are talking in English???
Its probably because muslims are used to saying it arabic. No point making a big deal out of it.
Original post by ab173
Because we are talking in English???

It shouldn’t be a major problem. Everyone kinda should know what that is.
Reply 16
It shouldn’t be a major problem. Everyone kinda should know what that is.

It's not, I was just wondering why not use the English version that's all
Original post by slurredsquash
Hi!

Sorry, I'm about to go ahead and sound a bit dumb!

Okay so I'm a non-Muslim and I'm currently taking part in a little workshop about understanding the community in my village

(Background:smile:

Spoiler

I wanted to research interfaith marriage in Islam as more people come and make their homes and live with us.

However, I'm getting a *lot* of mixed messages from some of the stuff I've read and tbh that could just be me not reading it/interpreting it well.

So, if you have a little time at all, please let me hear your views on this stuff :smile: &amp;lt;3 (You don't need to answer it all, but the more info, the more accurate I can make my response)

[ul]
[li]Do you agree with Interfaith marriage? Why?[/li]
[li]Does this depend on the gender? Why? (Christian Man + Muslim Woman vs Muslim Man + Christian Woman)[/li]
[li]Does this depend on religion (e.g. is a Jewish partner with the monotheistic religion viewed differently to a Hindu partner?)[/li]
[li]Do you know of times when people convert to Islam for marriage? Is this okay?[/li]
[li]Would you potentially consider Interfaith marriage if that was the situation? How would your community and peers view this, do you think?[/li]
[li]Can you be a good Muslim whilst being in an Interfaith marriage, iyo?[/li]
[li]What can we all do to make society more accepting of Muslims who marry outside Islam?[/li]
[/ul]

Thanks so much for your help! :smile:

1. I only agree with it to the extent that I consider it permissible (with limitations clarified below), but otherwise I do not like it and heavily advise other Muslims against it.

2. Yes - males can marry Christian and Jewish females but not the other way around. This is primarily because God says so (in the Qur'an), and one of the wisdoms behind this is that due to the innate differences between men and women, the rights and responsibilties of men and women differ such that a Muslim wife should listen to her husband generally according to Islam, thus to be married to a non-Muslim mam could compromise a Muslim woman's faith if she has to obey her husband.
Generally marriage between a female and a non-Muslim is impermissible and invalid and subsequent intimacy is no different from sex outside of wedlock even if the marriage is recognised by the secular law of the state.

3. Only Ahlul Kitab ('People of the Book' i.e. Christians and Jews) can be married. Even if one is a monotheist but from another faith e.g. Sikh, they do not fall into this category and therefore marriage to them is impermissible and invalid. Marriage to any religion other than what I specified above is impermissible.

4. I have heard of it but never seen it occur with my own eyes amongst my married friends. It is impermissible and conversion is only with sincerity and for God's pleasure.

5. I would only consider it if marrying a Muslim was near impossible i.e. there were no Muslims in the country/region I lived and travel was impossible. In such a case I would prefer to marry an observant Jew rather than a Christian because Christians are very emotional rather than logical and observant of their scriptural laws, whereas observant Jews are more like Muslims and they try to follow the law of Moses (PBUH) to whatever extent they can.
If I had a Muslim community around me, then I would be marrying a Muslim girl/widow/divorcee from amongst them rather than a non-Muslim, so this section is redundant for me.

6. For a Muslim woman, it is extremely difficult as she would be committing a major sin every time she was intimate in her invalid marriage. For a Muslim male, it is possible to be a good Muslim but the situation is still more difficult and less than ideal as one's spouse can lead one astray or cause the children to deviate from Islamic belief. From what I have seen on TSR from mixed-faith families is that most often the kids are either weak Muslims if not another faith completely.

7. N/A. Question is based on the premise that I want society to be more accepting of mixed-faith marriages - the premise is false.

*Additional note: The Christian or Jewish girl has to be chaste i.e. they do not have boyfriends or intimacy outside of wedlock. This would rule out most Western girls these days.

Hoped that helped
(edited 5 years ago)
Yeah I know but believing in someone else other than Allah is like the worst sin in Islam.

He needs serious therapy for those insecurities, or they could just provide credible evidence of their existence. It's a shame that they've not managed to understand this - I wonder why .. ?!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
Yes I do agree with interfaith marriage however in our religion the non-Muslim religion has to convert to Islam before they can get married. However, this conversion cannot be for the sake of their partner or marriage it has to be because they like the religion whole heartedly, and also believe and love our god allah.
Whether you are man or woman this rule still applies.
However, according to Hindu and Islamic history there was a king who was a Muslim and a queen who was a Hindu and their marriage was due to political reasons yet he promised her to be able to keep her religion and they got married in the Hindu ceremony.
My auntie is a Muslim and she had a love marriage with a non Muslim man and he concerted to Islam. However, as my auntie isn’t a promising Muslim I don’t know if he has whole heartedly accepted Islam.
I personally am very into non-Muslims however I believe I would have to face challenges because this concept is still not considered acceptable at first. This could be due my culture where the caste is very important and a non-Muslim wouldn’t fit in the caste boundaries.
Well my auntie isn’t just purely based on the teachings of Islam and neither am I perfect so no judging but yes that is sort of the point to help someone improve their religious practices. Also, helping someone convert wholeheartedly helps you get profits/points for the afterlife and the person that’s converted starts on a clean state like a baby free of any sins.
About the last one I’m not sure :smile: hope that helped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending