The Student Room Group

Bristol or Exeter Uni for Law?

Anyone who goes to either Bristol/Exeter uni have any pros/cons about the general reputation, social life, night life and their course? (doesn’t necessarily have to to be law)
I’m weighing up both because I am unsure whether to apply to Bristol or not- it has slightly higher entry requirements and requires the LNAT which Exeter doesn’t.

Scroll to see replies

There are few unis posher than Exeter. But Bristol is one of them.

Stop giving advice like you know what you're talking about. It is seriously injurious to everyone who has the misfortune of encountering it.

Original post by Hlbusiness
Anyone who goes to either Bristol/Exeter uni have any pros/cons about the general reputation, social life, night life and their course? (doesn’t necessarily have to to be law)
I’m weighing up both because I am unsure whether to apply to Bristol or not- it has slightly higher entry requirements and requires the LNAT which Exeter doesn’t.

You have more than 1 option. The pertinent questions are what are your predicted grades and what are the other places you're applying to.

Bristol is fairly competitive and Exeter gives offers to everyone. If you're thinking about Exeter as your upper limit, but have A*AA grades sufficient to get you into Bristol, I suspect you have seriously erred in choosing your other 4 choices.
It is if OP chooses Bristol because they're worried about the rahs and goes to a place which has even more rahs.

Or did you forget what you actually said to OP.
Well, Exeter is 30.6% privately educated. Bristol is 35.5%. That's just the raw stats; if you've visited either place, you'd have a pretty strong sense of the difference. Exeter also has more international students, at 25% to Bristol's 23%.

Even still, I don't think you should decline to attend a uni based on its having lots of a certain type of people. An "us vs them" mentality is unhealthy, although ripe in some comp-educated students. I was never personally bothered by it in the slightest.
I would go with Bristol
Both aren't great unis, they have equal reputation for Law though I would read up on Exeter's Bracton Law Society scandals which have occurred both this year and previous years.
Reply 6
Original post by Slaughter&Ovary
Both aren't great unis, they have equal reputation for Law though I would read up on Exeter's Bracton Law Society scandals which have occurred both this year and previous years.

How are they both ‘not great unis’ I’m genuinely interested to know why you think that? They are both in the Russell Group, and have a very good reputation among employers, Bristol is ranked 3rd for employment in the UK. Not everyone has to go to Oxbridge to have good career prospects and be successful.
Original post by Hlbusiness
How are they both ‘not great unis’ I’m genuinely interested to know why you think that? They are both in the Russell Group, and have a very good reputation among employers, Bristol is ranked 3rd for employment in the UK. Not everyone has to go to Oxbridge to have good career prospects and be successful.

Russel group means nothing these days and I'm interested to see where you got the stat for Bristol ranking 3rd for Employment. Cheers.
Original post by J-SP
They are basically the same as Durham....

Sorry, what University did you attend again?
Sorry, what University did you attend again?

The University of Capitalising Common Nouns.

OP, the lad is a troll. He might seriously believe what he's saying or might not; either way he's out here to get a reaction. Don't look to him for advice.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Notoriety
The University of Capitalising Common Nouns.

Pipe down pal you go to Bristol.
Pipe down pal you go to Bristol.

I wish.
Original post by Notoriety
I wish.

Christ, you go to an institution worse than Bristol, wishing you all the best old pal.
Original post by J-SP
It would be easier to explain which university I haven’t attended

That say's it all.
Christ, you go to an institution worse than Bristol, wishing you all the best old pal.

No, not worse. Just Bristol has a Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. The closest to my uni is about 50 miles away. Struggle's real.
" Exeter gives offers to everyone"

It may not be true - but if it is, it suggests a good reason for not going there.
threads like these are pointless. just choose one. when you get to the upper end of the university rep curve, it just gets to a point of splitting hairs.

you could choose any university above some arbitrary threshold (say roughly the ~15-25 best reputed unis, not "top" from rankings or whatever) and have a pretty much identical journey to a good job, a robust network and challenging course material.

universities fall into various tiers, within each tier institutions are pretty similar on the whole career prospects/academic standard/type of students front but may differ on location, accomodation, costs, opportunities etc. if you're comparing universities within a tier you're better off focusing on the latter rather than the former - comparing cross tier then sure, yeah, there will be obvious differences in the former.

there are "general" tiers (say for careers within finance, corporates, law firms, academia etc) and "niche" tiers (say for careers in design, engineering, fashion, the arts etc). optimise to be in the best tier you can, and then choose the actual institution based on your own personal preference.

people overthink this uni decision stuff way too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Russel group means nothing these days and I'm interested to see where you got the stat for Bristol ranking 3rd for Employment. Cheers.

It literally says on the Bristol website... and what unis would you suggest that are ‘better’?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending