The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys - just quoting you in so you all find this thread as it will be super helpful :woo: :yay: Ask the admissions teams anything here :h:

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
What would be a competitive set of GCSE grades for medicine? Thanks!
Reply 3
Hi there!

I'm applying for Engineering at Pembroke (I was seriously tempted by Peterhouse). As you will know, Christ's and Peterhouse are the only two colleges that require STEP for Engineering. Is it possible to be pooled to either of your colleges and given an offer that requires STEP even though I'm applying to a college that doesn't require it?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 4
For engineering, certain colleges have college set written assessments at interview. Does applying for such colleges and preforming well in the written assessment make your application look better than applying to colleges without written assessment at interview.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi all!

With the 15th October deadline approaching, the Peterhouse and Christ's Admissions Teams will be here until 12th October to answer any final questions about Cambridge, our courses or the application process. Ask away!

how much do you guys weigh the scores of exams like nsaa or engaa?
Reply 6
If i get A* As and Bs in my GCSE, but get A* in my A levels, is there a chance I could still get into Cambridge?
Hi there,
I’m applying to Christ’s and I was just wondering whether I have to fill out the Cambridge specific personal statement on the SAQ. I’m applying to do maths and I don’t think I can write anything that’s much different from my personal statement.
I was also wondering when we find out if we have an interview. Will the interviews be at the college I’ve applied to?

Thanks in advance
Original post by Moonblaster11
What would be a competitive set of GCSE grades for medicine? Thanks!

We don't have any requirements so please don't rule yourself out on the basis of GCSE results. We won't reject anyone on the basis of GCSEs as it simply isn't a great predictor of how good you'll be at the ourse or how good a doctor you could one day become.

We do look at your GCSEs relative to the rest of your school but even here we're not looking for any one thing - some candidates may have been the best their school has ever seen but unless they've carried this through into sixth form they won't be as strong in our eyes as someone who didn't really get going until year 12.
Original post by TomSR
Hi there!

I'm applying for Engineering at Pembroke (I was seriously tempted by Peterhouse). As you will know, Christ's and Peterhouse are the only two colleges that require STEP for Engineering. Is it possible to be pooled to either of your colleges and given an offer that requires STEP even though I'm applying to a college that doesn't require it?

Thanks in advance.

Yes that is a possibility. Each college is responsible for setting its own offers.
My grades

5 9s
2 8s
2 A*s
1 7
1 6

Is this above or below the typical set of GCSE grades of a successful applicant ror medicine?
Original post by esrever
For engineering, certain colleges have college set written assessments at interview. Does applying for such colleges and preforming well in the written assessment make your application look better than applying to colleges without written assessment at interview.

We set a college maths test for our engineers to provide another data point on students and performance in this test helps us decide what conditions to set in terms of STEP/no STEP. The information on these tests is included in pool files but I don't think it will help or hinder your application really and wouldn't base your college choice on it. It's certainly not the case that we have many more (or indeed many fewer) of our engineers pooled than colleges without college-set tests.
Original post by Moonblaster11
My grades

5 9s
2 8s
2 A*s
1 7
1 6

Is this above or below the typical set of GCSE grades of a successful applicant ror medicine?

It is in the range of successful applicants (which essentially runs from 0 GCSEs at 8 or above all the way through to 15 or so). There's no such thing as an 'average successful applicant' and offer-holders have a much more varied academic background than you might imagine.

If you're on track for A*A*A or better in the right subjects, have some relevant work experience and like the look of our course then you are a competitive candidate.
Original post by graecusthegreek
how much do you guys weigh the scores of exams like nsaa or engaa?

Thanks for posting! There is no weighting for any part of your application and everything is considered holistically in the proper context. The scores from Admissions Assessments are looked at alongside everything else we know about you and are no more or less important than anything else.
Thanks for posting! There is no weighting for any part of your application and everything is considered holistically in the proper context. The scores from Admissions Assessments are looked at alongside everything else we know about you and are no more or less important than anything else.

thank you!
Can you apply for Cambridge and the Oxford Foundation Year, or do you have to pick one or the other?

Also, I got 99AAA6CC in my GCSEs, but I am predicted A*AA - is it worth applying to study Law?
Original post by ibyghee
If i get A* As and Bs in my GCSE, but get A* in my A levels, is there a chance I could still get into Cambridge?

Very much so! You might find some of my earlier replies in this thread helpful.
Original post by Odetosophxo
Hi there,
I’m applying to Christ’s and I was just wondering whether I have to fill out the Cambridge specific personal statement on the SAQ. I’m applying to do maths and I don’t think I can write anything that’s much different from my personal statement.
I was also wondering when we find out if we have an interview. Will the interviews be at the college I’ve applied to?

Thanks in advance

One for @Christ's Admissions.
Hi all!

With the 15th October deadline approaching, the Peterhouse and Christ's Admissions Teams will be here until 12th October to answer any final questions about Cambridge, our courses or the application process. Ask away!

When applying for engineering as areapplicant will It be best for me to do further maths in my year out/do STEP?

Also how disadvantaged am I having achieved A*A*A(Physics,Maths,Chemistry) as opposed to being predicted A*A*A* last year.

Is it ok that my work isn't relevant to the course and that I am talking about things I did in year 12 in my personal statement.

Also would it be ok to mention chemical engineering in my personal statement or will just saying engineering be better?
Original post by cfcfan2002
Can you apply for Cambridge and the Oxford Foundation Year, or do you have to pick one or the other?

Also, I got 99AAA6CC in my GCSEs, but I am predicted A*AA - is it worth applying to study Law?

I think you can apply to both but that's one you'd have to check with LMH.

A*AA is the typical offer for Law so absolutely you should consider applying. This is one case where colleges have different opinions on GCSEs though so make sure you read college websites. We don't have any GCSE requirements at Peterhouse and made several offers last year to Law students with similar GCSE profiles to yours.

Latest

Trending

Trending