The Student Room Group

Help from people doing History GCSE!!

Hi!

I really really really need to know whether the content in history is manageable or a lot (maybe in comparison to geography).
Also is the writing you do in the exam (I do IGCSE Edexcel History) as much as English or RS, or is it more?

Thank you!
Any help would be highly appreaciated

Scroll to see replies

about the same as RE, less than english
Original post by Gent2324
about the same as RE, less than english

oh okay. Do you know about the content of information?
Original post by _Mia101

i didnt do geography so i dont know, but i never felt that the history content was too much tbh, i guess i could say its slightly more than RE? theres alot more to history than dates though and the new spec makes it really weird with more applied stuff etc. look at the contents of the cgp book to get a grasp and compare it to the geography. but i dont think history is as bad as people say unless you hate essays
Original post by Gent2324
i didnt do geography so i dont know, but i never felt that the history content was too much tbh, i guess i could say its slightly more than RE? theres alot more to history than dates though and the new spec makes it really weird with more applied stuff etc. look at the contents of the cgp book to get a grasp and compare it to the geography. but i dont think history is as bad as people say unless you hate essays

Oh okay. Thank you.
Hi,

Also, does anyone know how to remember all the dates?
Original post by _Mia101
Hi,

Also, does anyone know how to remember all the dates?

If you read them enough you'll remember them. But there's loads of different techniques- loads of my friends make songs to keep it in their heads.
Original post by lokidokie
If you read them enough you'll remember them. But there's loads of different techniques- loads of my friends make songs to keep it in their heads.

Oh okay. Thank you. Did you do history or geography? Or nether?
Original post by _Mia101

I'm doing crime and punishment in England from the 11th century to the present day, the Cold War, Elizabethan times and (we haven't done this yet) Germany- I believe it's going to be about the holocaust.
Original post by _Mia101
Oh okay. Thank you. Did you do history or geography? Or nether?

I'm doing history (I'm Year 11 atm). I have friends who do geography and history who enjoy both. History is more writing though, according to them.
I'm doing history (I'm Year 11 atm). I have friends who do geography and history who enjoy both. History is more writing though, according to them.

Oh okay. How do you master exam technique? Also, do your friends say that history has more content? And, would you say that the history exam is hard per se? (sorry for all the questions but I have to make a final decision soon)
i did geography and history myself in year 11 and i goota say that history had more content and learning to do...

plus lits and kots of essays, nearly 2 a wekk when coming up to the exams
i cannot spell for shi *t
Original post by _Mia101
Oh okay. How do you master exam technique? Also, do your friends say that history has more content? And, would you say that the history exam is hard per se? (sorry for all the questions but I have to make a final decision soon)

It's alright! Choosing your GCSE's are tough. The only way to master exam technique is practice, in my opinion. Find past papers and their mark schemes and review. Do them under timed conditions and mark it afterwards. It's also a good way of finding your strength and weaknesses.

I find history exams relatively easy- each module has a certain theme (for instance crime and punishment was all about change and continuity), and once you learn them it becomes much much much easier to answer. My friends often seem more stressed over history- not going to lie. And I think that's due to more content.

Either way, both subjects are going to be tough.
Original post by Aadilkharl123
i did geography and history myself in year 11 and i goota say that history had more content and learning to do...

plus lits and kots of essays, nearly 2 a wekk when coming up to the exams

Okay thanks. But how hard was it to remember the geography content? And also, how hard/ important was it to remember the geography content? And also, was there a lot of importance when it came to the maps, compasses and diagrams: like were there lot of diagrams to show economic stuff or lots of maps(GIS etc) for the physical stuff? Also, for you what was the hardest part of geography?

And in history, how did you remember the case studies? Also, how did you remember the dates, causes and effects, factors etc? How did you master exam technique? And finally what was the hardest and easiest parts of history?

Sorry for all the questions but I really need to know which one to pick as I have 5 days or so to make my final decision.

Thank you so much!
( in college now) cant remember nothing now...

however geography was the easiest to learn and remember whereas history i put more hours into
It's alright! Choosing your GCSE's are tough. The only way to master exam technique is practice, in my opinion. Find past papers and their mark schemes and review. Do them under timed conditions and mark it afterwards. It's also a good way of finding your strength and weaknesses.

I find history exams relatively easy- each module has a certain theme (for instance crime and punishment was all about change and continuity), and once you learn them it becomes much much much easier to answer. My friends often seem more stressed over history- not going to lie. And I think that's due to more content.

Either way, both subjects are going to be tough.

Okay, thank you so much! I think my main issue is that for some reason I've lost a lot of interest in history suddenly. Also I think my exam technique for the 16 marker is quite bad and I don't know how to remember the content/dates: so basically everything. *sigh*.

And I don't even know if I should switch as I am not particularly enthusiastic about geography.
Original post by Aadilkharl123
( in college now) cant remember nothing now...

however geography was the easiest to learn and remember whereas history i put more hours into

Oh okay. Thanks anyways. Last thing though, were you naturally better at geography and were you really interested in both. Sorry and thanks!
motivate your-self...

the way to learn 'history' is to keep doing again and again till you are getting full marks...

if you dont understand something then peck your teachers head because that what they are their for...
naturally better at geography as we did throughout year 7 and 8

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending