The Student Room Group

Who would you vote for in a general election tomorrow?

Poll

Who would you vote for in an upcoming general election

Let us imagine there has been a further compromise to the chequers plan, but a deal has been reached. The compromise includes an additional ten billion pounds, preferential access to eu migrants as well as custom membership in all but name. This deal was attacked as a ‘disgrace’ by Mogg and Johnson but May was able to cling to power in a leadership election.

Labour have said they oppose the conservatives plans and suppprt a ‘labour Brexit’ - this seems to entail staying in the single market.

The Lib Dem’s, Greens, SNP and Plsid have offered to work together with labour but this has been rejected by labour insiders. All these parties say they will suppprt labour but will also vote for a second referendum.

Ukip, have pledged to get out of the EU and go under WTO rules from day one. There is high speculation that a dozen Tory MPs are under severe pressure to join them. Left wing commentators have been alarmed at various high profile meetings with the leaders of Ukip and Marine le Pen and victor Orban.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd like to say Labour, definitely not tories, but I think Jeremy corbyn's labour can't make up what it is. Corbyn is a communist, but then we have liberals in it
Original post by qwertyK
I'd like to say Labour, definitely not tories, but I think Jeremy corbyn's labour can't make up what it is. Corbyn is a communist, but then we have liberals in it

Reply 4
To anyone wondering what the weird symbols are, I put flags next to each party:

Labour 🇵🇸
Tory 🇮🇱
Liberal Democrat 🏳️*🌈
Green 🏳️
SNP/ Plaid 🇪🇺
Ukip 🇷🇺
Labour are the puppets of the Kremlin.

vote for the Conservative and Unionist Party.
I really don't know.

I'm very tempted by labour

I am not left-wing at all, but labour are tempting me for the next election for a number of reasons:

1, I am very much in favor of their re-nationalization policies. I want to see the railways, water companies and - in an ideal but impossible world - power companies all nationalized. Having a few years of labour, would at least give me this. I would hate all of the social policy that came along with it, but in the long-run, its a positive that I would take from a labour goverment.

2, as another poster pointed out to me - a labour goverment and the huge political mess that it would create for the 'estabilshment' may be the fastest way to the radical change that I want, and see as nessasry for the long-term prosperity of the country. I want radical electoral reform, and a complete shift away from our current party poltiics. The shock of corbyn would push more in this dirrection, than yet another tory goverment

3, I want to see the destruction of the current conservative party, and it replaced by new actually representative parties. Loosing an election would hopefully help push it further towards a split, and its demise.

...but I don't know, the social policy and awful financial management of a labour goverment would piss me off, for 5 years.. so are the 3 good things above, worth it? I am not sure.

On the other hand, I could go for another tory goverment - and keep the status quo. In the short term, its much more in-line with my political leanings then a labour goverment would do.. but it re-inforces our current systems, and leaves me just as far away from radical change as I am now... but, I would be more content with our dirrection and the competancy of those leading us for 5 years.

In short - I don't know
Reply 7
Original post by the bear
Labour are the puppets of the Kremlin.

vote for the Conservative and Unionist Party.

No that’s UKIP.

the Conservative party are puppets for Israel. See:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Friends_of_Israe
It's only going to be between 🇵🇸 and 🇮🇱 every time
Original post by Davij038
No that’s UKIP.

oh dear another Jew Hating friend of Jez.
No that’s UKIP.

He's kind of right. Take my grandparents for example. They have some communist sympathies and are lifelong Labour supporters. They support Russia with Putin.
Reply 11
Original post by qwertyK
He's kind of right. Take my grandparents for example. They have some communist sympathies and are lifelong Labour supporters. They support Russia with Putin.

I don’t doubt these people exist.

What I do doubt is they have a fraction of the power and influence as the conservative friends of Israel.,
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
oh dear another Jew Hating friend of Jez.

You di realise that this is basically what the left do by calling anyone who disagrees with them racist. You’re a Tory aren’t you?

Lets debate the facts. If labour is a puppet of Russia, how come the Tories aren’t puppets if Israel/ Saudi Arabia
You di realise that this is basically what the left do by calling anyone who disagrees with them racist. You’re a Tory aren’t you?

Lets debate the facts. If labour is a puppet of Russia, how come the Tories aren’t puppets if Israel/ Saudi Arabia

facts are not part of the Labour/Putin weltanschauung. they would be wasted on you.
Lib-Dems. But please don't mention Marine le Pen, we're still getting over the shock of nearly having her as president.
then again, having just watched this weeks question time - as much as I like nationalisation, and want radical political reform.. the left-leaning members of the panel were just awful.

Thornberry's career these days is just bassed entirely on her saying how awful she feels for X group in society.. and how awful things are for Y group in society. She perminantly looks like she wants to fake crying to make her point stronger. Tonight she said how awful our education system is, and questioning whether another pannelist actually has kids in school.. whilst forgetting to mention that she doesn't send her kids to state comprehensive schools.. and she cares so so much about care-workers, and how great it is that foreigners cared for her dad! forgetting that low-skilled immigration (like care-work) has been proven to depress wages, meaning she is hurting the very care-workers she claims to value so much!

and the poet guy... absolute nob. The UKs problem with immigration is because its xenaphobic. Gets pointed out that the UK statistically is one of the least xenaphobic places in europe... acts like a sarcastic **** and plays the victim - without refuting or adressing the point in stead. That whole exchnage, with the muslim girl chiming in after to say how awful it was for a white man to comment on this - is american identity politics slipping in more and more into our normal political dialog.

So, I don't know. Labour may be the best for my long-term goals, but leftist politics in general pisses me off so much, I am not sure I can stomach voting for them.
Reply 16
facts are not part of the Labour/Putin weltanschauung. they would be wasted on you.

Sure
Reply 17
Original post by Kinyonga
Lib-Dems. But please don't mention Marine le Pen, we're still getting over the shock of nearly having her as president.

Oh so you’re a French liberal? What do you think of Macron?

i think le Pen would be more popular than him
Reply 18
Original post by fallen_acorns
then again, having just watched this weeks question time - as much as I like nationalisation, and want radical political reform.. the left-leaning members of the panel were just awful.

Thornberry's career these days is just bassed entirely on her saying how awful she feels for X group in society.. and how awful things are for Y group in society. She perminantly looks like she wants to fake crying to make her point stronger. Tonight she said how awful our education system is, and questioning whether another pannelist actually has kids in school.. whilst forgetting to mention that she doesn't send her kids to state comprehensive schools.. and she cares so so much about care-workers, and how great it is that foreigners cared for her dad! forgetting that low-skilled immigration (like care-work) has been proven to depress wages, meaning she is hurting the very care-workers she claims to value so much!

and the poet guy... absolute nob. The UKs problem with immigration is because its xenaphobic. Gets pointed out that the UK statistically is one of the least xenaphobic places in europe... acts like a sarcastic **** and plays the victim - without refuting or adressing the point in stead. That whole exchnage, with the muslim girl chiming in after to say how awful it was for a white man to comment on this - is american identity politics slipping in more and more into our normal political dialog.

So, I don't know. Labour may be the best for my long-term goals, but leftist politics in general pisses me off so much, I am not sure I can stomach voting for them.

So left wing economic views with conservative social views? Good man, this is actually what most people want
Original post by fallen_acorns
Tonight she said how awful our education system is, and questioning whether another panelist actually has kids in school.. whilst forgetting to mention that she doesn't send her kids to state comprehensive schools..

yup.... so many of the "Comrades" send their offspring to private school. complete joke.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending