The Student Room Group

Referencing

If coursework for science for instance essays will include others people work/ideas in your own words, won’t the whole thing have to be referenced.
I don’t get this, what is the point.
You could just copy and paste and reference. How does it make it your work?
Original post by esmeralda123
If coursework for science for instance essays will include others people work/ideas in your own words, won’t the whole thing have to be referenced.
I don’t get this, what is the point.
You could just copy and paste and reference. How does it make it your work?
What level is this for?:smile:
Reply 2
Undergrad uni level
Original post by esmeralda123
Undergrad uni level
If you are knowingly talking about other people's ideas then you should reference it. It cannot look lile your own work when it isn't original, else this is plagiarism. Otherwise I could write a book about evolution, talking about my new theory of natural selection and that time I went to the Galapagos islands, if I don't reference it: people can buy my book and think I'm the genius that I probably am not. Because I've plagiarised Darwin.

Unless your work is original, it should be referenced.
If you incorporate other peoples' words or ideas, they need to be referenced.

The work that you'll be doing could include analysing, reviewing, comparing, contrasting, criticising etc what others have done. And writing up results you've got from your own experiments. That's all your own work.

In the above example, Darwin's conclusions should be referenced. But if you wanted to compare them against, for example, the text of Genesis in the Bible (which would also be referenced), the actual analysis would be your own work.
Reply 5
Original post by Duncan2012
If you incorporate other peoples' words or ideas, they need to be referenced.

The work that you'll be doing could include analysing, reviewing, comparing, contrasting, criticising etc what others have done. And writing up results you've got from your own experiments. That's all your own work.

In the above example, Darwin's conclusions should be referenced. But if you wanted to compare them against, for example, the text of Genesis in the Bible (which would also be referenced), the actual analysis would be your own work.

Say I am given a question to answer such as find the difference in prokaryotes and eukaryotes, would I search online for some ideas, put them into my own words and reference for every website visited.
I thought I could only reference a couple of sentences not the whole essay otherwise that would be plagiarism (and copying and pasting)

I don’t get it. After every fact do I have to reference?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending