The Student Room Group

Rare burgers.. your opinion?

Poll

Rare burgers, yay or nay?

General advice from the FSA is not to have burgers anything less than well done unless a restaurant jumps through some hoops to verify their meat source and process.

Would you, or do you eat anything less than well done burger wise?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think I’d eat a burger that was medium, but not medium rare or rare… some things just shouldn’t be. Although theres this thing they eat in France called tartare or something and its pure raw beef mince, it looks like a raw burger patty. I’m sure theres something similar in japan but its just raw beef not minced
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 8472

General advice from FSA is not to have burgers anything less than well done unless a restaurant jumps through some hoops to verify their meat source and process.

Would you, or do you eat anything less than well done burger wise?

Well done for some decent content generation :smile:

If it were some dodgy kebab and burger joint, the sort inhabited after midnight by drunk young men in Ben Sherman shirts, then it's probably wise to avoid undercooked meat. In fact, it's probably better to avoid it entirely. However, at your own barbeque or decent pub/restaurant, the surely rare/med. rare is the way to go for burgers.
(edited 5 years ago)
I would eat rare burgers, if it is not too rare. Otherwise I am eating well done mince meat with delicious burger sauce salad and tomatoes.
Medium rare is the best both in steak and in burgers. I'd go as far as medium but not well done. It's usually burned at well done btw.
Original post by Voltairean
Medium rare is the best both in steak and in burgers. I'd go as far as medium but not well done. It's usually burned at well done btw.

I assent your view, medium is the best in taste. It is not chewy and tender, in short meat in the perfect condition.
I eat all meat really well done anyway (cremated even).
So yeah id want my burger well done.

Thought this was going to be a thread about kangaroo or ostrich burgers or something tbh 👀
Reply 8
If you want rare, get a steak. In a burger you want the meat to have the texture and the flavour comes from mostly everything else - sauce, salad, bun.
Nah, I like my steaks rare/med rare but I prefer a burger to be more cooked, personally i'll use eggs as a binder in my burgers so wouldn't be keen on raw egg.

wouldn't the burger go cold really quick? it's got nothing else for heat, at least steaks generally have chips, veg, hot sauces and the like keeping them warm.
The reason we're ok eating steak rare, blue or outright raw is because the bacteria found on commercial beef sits solely on the surface, meaning that after a good sear in a hot pan (or chopped off in the case of tartare) the meat is safe to eat no matter how gloriously rare it is inside.

With minced beef, like the type you get for burgers, that surface is chopped up and distributed throughout the entire mass of meat. This means unlike steak, you do need actually need to to cook the meat to a temperature that renders the center safe to eat (unless you prepare the beef tartare style before mincing and forming into a burger). This temperature is reached at what we define as medium.

I love my steak as blue as I can get it, but with burgers medium is definitely the way to go. Besides being dodgy from a safety standpoint, the texture of borderline uncooked mince is not a pleasant one. Medium still has a nice rosey colour and plenty of moisture, the most important thing is searing as hard and quickly as you can to get a good caramelised crust alongside a juicy centre.

One thing beef does share regardless of form, is that cooking it well done is an abomination.
Reply 11
Original post by ThomH97
If you want rare, get a steak. In a burger you want the meat to have the texture and the flavour comes from mostly everything else - sauce, salad, bun.

Yep, rare burgers shouldn't be served, they are not the same as steak.
Steak should be blue or rare, medium rare if you dont trust where the meat has come from (at that point dont buy a steak)
Burgers need to be fully cooked in nearly all circumstances.
I wouldn’t risk a rare burger but I love rare steak
What's the difference tho?
Original post by Voltairean
What's the difference tho?

In steak most of the nasty bacteria that makes you ill is on the surface so as long as you cook the surface you’re safe. In burgers the meat is all chopped up so the bacteria is spread throughout the meat so you’re much more likely to get sick eating undercooked burger than steak
Reply 16
Exactly what I wanted to say but couldn't be bothered to type.
Medium rare is my favourite
Medium from a nice place. Charcoaled from elsewhere.
Original post by CoolCavy

Thought this was going to be a thread about kangaroo or ostrich burgers or something tbh 👀

Both are delicious for the record.

As Gofres said, once you've minced beef, cooking it rare is no longer really an option. If you want a rare burger, just shove a steak in a cob.

Quick Reply

Latest