The Student Room Group

Picked physics a level for no gain

Jjj
(edited 5 years ago)
Physics will only get harder from here so if you really are struggling and are doing physics with no aim to do anything physics related maybe it would be good idea to drop it

source :I'm in year 13 doing the same subject combination as you
Reply 2
Thanks for replying. But I can’t drop it as my sixth form has said I can’t change as it’s been too long etc... I only waited cause I thought I would get used to it and like it gradually but I don’t :frown:

P.s I really want to go to university aswell so I’m really stuck now as my only option is really trying to get on with physics and the rest and get a BBB and epq at B to get onto my course at preferred uni
Reply 3
Original post by Hasham123
Physics will only get harder from here so if you really are struggling and are doing physics with no aim to do anything physics related maybe it would be good idea to drop it

source :I'm in year 13 doing the same subject combination as you

I take issue with your rhetoric, I just finished A Level Physics this summer and the A2 section was easier than the AS Section, you also have the difference in thinking, difficulty across either year may vary across different exam boards, just look at the back of the Advanced Physics for You (new edition)

But, some unis, particularly some of the Russell Group universities, see physics as a faciliting subject and have a firm grasp of physics can be very useful in demonstrating the kind of person and thinker you are.
Reply 4
Original post by Ghostx
Thanks for replying. But I can’t drop it as my sixth form has said I can’t change as it’s been too long etc... I only waited cause I thought I would get used to it and like it gradually but I don’t :frown:

P.s I really want to go to university aswell so I’m really stuck now as my only option is really trying to get on with physics and the rest and get a BBB and epq at B to get onto my course at preferred uni

You will get used to it, if you do Mechanics in parallel with Linear motion can be helpful, but I mean, we are here to help I guess, if you have particular issues with a concept shoot me a message and I'll see if I can help, plus there's those other pesky physics students about as well. Also I swear it's really interesting when you think about it, plus you get to deal with Einstein's Energy-Mass Equivalence Equation at A2.
I agree that A2 is easier but I did find that AS got progressively harder though I guess this can vary based on the type of person you are and different exam boards

Physics is a facilitating subject but a university may like something like further maths more for accountancy
Physics is something that you get used to and if you're struggling at the start I would recommend watching someone do some questions online then doing some questions yourself then once you understand the maths it makes understanding it a bit easier
Reply 7
Original post by Ghostx
So basically I have started sixth form and I picked Economics, Maths (both recommend courses for future career in accountancy) and I picked PHYSICS due to me achieving a grade 7 in gcse which was higher than both chemistry and biology and I enjoyed it at GCSE.

However, at the moment I’ve been getting lots of homework for physics (more than 2.5x than maths and economics combined) and I’m finding it hard to grasp the concepts etc as I find it different to gcse (mainly the teacher :/)

I have picked physics, one of the hardest a levels for no particular gain in terms of university course or future. So I’m in a dilemma as I’m beginning to hate the subject and college has told me to LEAVE or continue....

Any advice?

To be honest physics isn't hard, just read though your text book and do a couple past papers before the exam (and learn your formulas, takes an hour or so but it's important, I had to learn around 70 for physics) and you should get at least a B, which is good enough.
Reply 8
Physics is something that you get used to and if you're struggling at the start I would recommend watching someone do some questions online then doing some questions yourself then once you understand the maths it makes understanding it a bit easier

Exactly, and definitions and learning the technique to answering questions, alot of questions are just taking the knowledge and applying it in the context of the question, you could get the physics right but lose marks due to the fact you haven't applied your knowledge in context, the writing of definitions and answering these questions are easy marks, the maths questions can be harder so not everybody will get them, but I bet you weaker candidates will know the definitions and if you do too then you already in a good position, also reinforce the lessons from time to time, it's really helpful as you will then have that information already stored and won't be panicking coming up to the physics exams, plus some of the equations are absolute beauties
personally I write down all equations in a separate book as well as their proofs then when I get stuck or forget a equation I look in the book as well as always writing the equation you need to use at the start of a question
personally I write down all equations in a separate book as well as their proofs then when I get stuck or forget a equation I look in the book as well as always writing the equation you need to use at the start of a question

You will hopefully get the stage where you won't need it soon enough as you only get a few in the formula sheet but um yeah, but reinforce the learning behind the equations as that always helps you answer all types of questions, anyway physics is fun, and we are all moving.

Ps, could we get space sick?
Original post by M4cc4n4
You will hopefully get the stage where you won't need it soon enough as you only get a few in the formula sheet but um yeah, but reinforce the learning behind the equations as that always helps you answer all types of questions, anyway physics is fun, and we are all moving.

Ps, could we get space sick?

space sick?
space sick?

its a joke nvm
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ghostx
So basically I have started sixth form and I picked Economics, Maths (both recommend courses for future career in accountancy) and I picked PHYSICS due to me achieving a grade 7 in gcse which was higher than both chemistry and biology and I enjoyed it at GCSE.

However, at the moment I’ve been getting lots of homework for physics (more than 2.5x than maths and economics combined) and I’m finding it hard to grasp the concepts etc as I find it different to gcse (mainly the teacher :/)

I have picked physics, one of the hardest a levels for no particular gain in terms of university course or future. So I’m in a dilemma as I’m beginning to hate the subject and college has told me to LEAVE or continue....

Any advice?

Got you covered! For an A*/A GUARANTEED, be prepared to invest a little time and money into your future but i know so many students who have used 'UPLEARN' and got A*/A grades, even me, i used them for Economics A level and got exactly that.

You're struggling now but you'll be the top of your class in no time and if you want to see it for yourself, just try their free trial for physics and you'll see what im talking about.

Best of Luck and keep trying, you'll get there!!

Quick Reply

Latest