The Student Room Group

sorry i’m late to the party (GYGs)

Scroll to see replies

i don't watch the apprentice, it's not my type of thing:lol:
i don't mind how frequent your updates are- do what's best for you:yep:
going to a uni open day on saturday:woo: good luck with that practice test, it's good to take some initiative:thumbsup:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
i don't watch the apprentice, it's not my type of thing:lol:
i don't mind how frequent your updates are- do what's best for you:yep:
going to a uni open day on saturday:woo: good luck with that practice test, it's good to take some initiative:thumbsup:

Oh have fun on Saturday, do you mind mentioning where you are going to see?
Original post by Valeriex
Oh have fun on Saturday, do you mind mentioning where you are going to see?

thank you! i'm visiting uni of birmingham :smile:

Wednesday, October 17

I've had a fairly productive day today, so I thought I would blog about it.

This morning I went on a swim and then afterwards and I met up with my friends for lunch. I had a crepe. Yum! Then I came home and I actually revised some of the trickier topics in maths for my prelim on Tuesday, including; trig equations, some problem-solving questions using the discriminant and trig exact values. On Saturday I am going to try and do a practice test and I'm hoping for above 80%. Anyway I writing this post just before watching The Apprentice tonight, does anyone else watch it? I'm looking forward to making a murderer season 2 coming out this weekend.
On a more solemn note, tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of the death of one of the people in my class so lots of people in our year are going out tomorrow.
Questions:
Do you enjoy me giving updates a few times a week or would you rather once a week- if I did them once a week they would generally be longer?
How is your week going?
Do you have any plans for the rest of the week?
Have you watched making a murderer season 1 and will you be watching season 2?

Spoiler

That sounds like a great day. :yep: Idm about when you update, it's your GYG. :smile: Week is ok, I'm just annoyed at my school as usual. No I've never watched that series, is it any good?
Original post by MaizieAmyr
That sounds like a great day. :yep: Idm about when you update, it's your GYG. :smile: Week is ok, I'm just annoyed at my school as usual. No I've never watched that series, is it any good?

The Apprentice is quite dramatic and it is funny to watch. And Making A Murderer is a good binge watch on Netflix if you have some free time. Oh no, what has your school done now? Have a good rest of the week :smile:
The Apprentice is quite dramatic and it is funny to watch. And Making A Murderer is a good binge watch on Netflix if you have some free time. Oh no, what has your school done now? Have a good rest of the week :smile:

Sounds good. :smile: They are being disorganised. :frown:
Week beginning 15th October-21st October

Ahh, finally the October week was upon me.I am writing this on the Sunday before I go back to school. It is fair to say that I have had a productive week and I am starting to feel a lot more confident in some of my subjects. :smile:

Study Highlights and Lowlights:

Before you ask, yes I think I did just make up a word (lowlights).
Anyway, this week I have worked very hard on my maths prelim on Tuesday and Thursday,:eek: just today I have finally understood the topic of parabolas.:biggrin: However, I am still struggling to learn my exact values for trigonometry :confused: as I can't seem to learn facts that don't really have any use in the topic apart from 1 question so I am just going to leave them out and hope that they don't become part of a bigger problem in non-calculator because no matter how hard I try they just don't sink in.
I have finished making all of my unit 2 flashcards for chemistry (up to where we are so far) and I am hoping by the end of next week I will of made all the unit 1 flashcards so I am up to date on them. I am actually understanding chemistry so that is good. I haven't done any work on biology but when we go back we have our write up which is worth 20% of our grade :eek3: that will be this Tuesday when I first have biology. But I think I should be sorted because you can take in all the notes we have been working on in class with us. So hopefully I haven't missed anything out.
I am starting to get a bit stressed about languages :sad: (especially Spanish) as there is so much vocab to learn, but I just discovered a site called https://www.memrise.com which is a flashcard app which has a lot of pre-made flashcards on it :gthumb:. Personally, I prefer it to quizlet but I know lots of people like quizlet. On Thursday I have a French writing test so I will let you know how that goes.
For music, I haven't worked as much as I wanted to on my flute but I am sure it will be fine.

Personal highlights and lowlights:
This week has been a bit of a struggle mentally and emotionally. I do want you to know that I do struggle and I am not always happy as I know that sometimes online it can be put on that people are perfect.
On Thursday I had a very tough day as it was the one-year anniversary death of one of my classmates and it was just all in all a bad day. There have been tears, I'm not sure if my emotions were heightened because I did get my period but I have been crying quite a bit this week but luckily not over school. :frown:
However the next day I went out with friends for brunch and later we went into town to see a show. I have been doing a lot of swimming this week to keep my mind from things and just to relax. Personally, I forgot how much I like to swim just for fun and not for a club, I think I will be trying to incorporate swimming more often into my life just for fun to relax.
Just a wee shoutout but I have been loving @MaizieAmyr GYGs ! :grouphugs:
Tonight I am going to go to bed for half-past eight (watch me break this) so I am well rested for school tomorrow. For the upcoming week, I want to almost take it slow and ease myself back into school but I know that the school will be piling work on now that we are onto the second term. There are only 5 weeks left until my prelims/mocks in December aghh! :argh:

Questions:
Have you had your October break yet? If so how was it and if not when is it and what do you plan to do during it?
Does anyone have any tips on how to relax during school?

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Oh an additional thing, does anyone know anyone who might be interested in this blog? Feel free to tag them below, I'd love some more people here and I'd love to see other people's journey.
exact values for trig:yucky: i never could learn them either, think i was lazy though:lol:
quizlet and memrise are both really good:yes: i applaud anyone who's doing french and spanish
hope you're okay lovely, anniversaries like that can really hit you hard:hugs: always here if you want to talk!
exact values for trig:yucky: i never could learn them either, think i was lazy though:lol:
quizlet and memrise are both really good:yes: i applaud anyone who's doing french and spanish
hope you're okay lovely, anniversaries like that can really hit you hard:hugs: always here if you want to talk!

Just hate them values. :eviltongue:Though 98% of the time they only come up in 1 mark questions so I'm not gonna beat myself up too much about them. :mad:
It was a mistake to pick up Spanish, however it is more of an enjoyable language than French I find (sorry french people). :colondollar:
It is just life I suppose :indiff:
Have a good Sunday and the rest of the week.
Just hate them values. :eviltongue:Though 98% of the time they only come up in 1 mark questions so I'm not gonna beat myself up too much about them. :mad:
It was a mistake to pick up Spanish, however it is more of an enjoyable language than French I find (sorry french people). :colondollar:
It is just life I suppose :indiff:
Have a good Sunday and the rest of the week.

ah you're lucky! they were like a 3 marker for me on paper one:grumble:
as long as you enjoy it:yep:
:console:
you too! hope you have a lovely week:heart:

Week beginning 15th October-21st October

Ahh, finally the October week was upon me.I am writing this on the Sunday before I go back to school. It is fair to say that I have had a productive week and I am starting to feel a lot more confident in some of my subjects. :smile:

Study Highlights and Lowlights:

Before you ask, yes I think I did just make up a word (lowlights).
Anyway, this week I have worked very hard on my maths prelim on Tuesday and Thursday,:eek: just today I have finally understood the topic of parabolas.:biggrin: However, I am still struggling to learn my exact values for trigonometry :confused: as I can't seem to learn facts that don't really have any use in the topic apart from 1 question so I am just going to leave them out and hope that they don't become part of a bigger problem in non-calculator because no matter how hard I try they just don't sink in.
I have finished making all of my unit 2 flashcards for chemistry (up to where we are so far) and I am hoping by the end of next week I will of made all the unit 1 flashcards so I am up to date on them. I am actually understanding chemistry so that is good. I haven't done any work on biology but when we go back we have our write up which is worth 20% of our grade :eek3: that will be this Tuesday when I first have biology. But I think I should be sorted because you can take in all the notes we have been working on in class with us. So hopefully I haven't missed anything out.
I am starting to get a bit stressed about languages :sad: (especially Spanish) as there is so much vocab to learn, but I just discovered a site called https://www.memrise.com which is a flashcard app which has a lot of pre-made flashcards on it :gthumb:. Personally, I prefer it to quizlet but I know lots of people like quizlet. On Thursday I have a French writing test so I will let you know how that goes.
For music, I haven't worked as much as I wanted to on my flute but I am sure it will be fine.

Personal highlights and lowlights:
This week has been a bit of a struggle mentally and emotionally. I do want you to know that I do struggle and I am not always happy as I know that sometimes online it can be put on that people are perfect.
On Thursday I had a very tough day as it was the one-year anniversary death of one of my classmates and it was just all in all a bad day. There have been tears, I'm not sure if my emotions were heightened because I did get my period but I have been crying quite a bit this week but luckily not over school. :frown:
However the next day I went out with friends for brunch and later we went into town to see a show. I have been doing a lot of swimming this week to keep my mind from things and just to relax. Personally, I forgot how much I like to swim just for fun and not for a club, I think I will be trying to incorporate swimming more often into my life just for fun to relax.
Just a wee shoutout but I have been loving @MaizieAmyr GYGs ! :grouphugs:
Tonight I am going to go to bed for half-past eight (watch me break this) so I am well rested for school tomorrow. For the upcoming week, I want to almost take it slow and ease myself back into school but I know that the school will be piling work on now that we are onto the second term. There are only 5 weeks left until my prelims/mocks in December aghh! :argh:

Questions:
Have you had your October break yet? If so how was it and if not when is it and what do you plan to do during it?
Does anyone have any tips on how to relax during school?

Spoiler

For trig values there is a little trick so you can 'work them out' rather than memorising them, have you thought of that? I saw someone on here have an exampl. I'll attatch it if I find it. (attatched)
I'm sorry for your loss. I find that on those kind of days, the best thing is to keep busy. Meet up with friends etc so you don't have a chance to think about it. :console:
Thank you so much. :blush:
And did you go to bed at the correct time? :biggrin: :poke:
For me relaxing during school is I watch some TV at the end of the day to give myself a break. I listen to music whilst studying (I try to avoid stuff with words though. I really like stringspace atm :yep:) and if I'm stressed or struggling I take a day off or I do something easy or fun study wise (which just means physics. :heart:)
Hmm how about... @Missradioactive @SomMC1
Original post by username3989988
For trig values there is a little trick so you can 'work them out' rather than memorising them, have you thought of that? I saw someone on here have an exampl. I'll attatch it if I find it. (attatched)
I'm sorry for your loss. I find that on those kind of days, the best thing is to keep busy. Meet up with friends etc so you don't have a chance to think about it. :console:
Thank you so much. :blush:
And did you go to bed at the correct time? :biggrin: :poke:
For me relaxing during school is I watch some TV at the end of the day to give myself a break. I listen to music whilst studying (I try to avoid stuff with words though. I really like stringspace atm :yep:) and if I'm stressed or struggling I take a day off or I do something easy or fun study wise (which just means physics. :heart:)
Hmm how about... @Missradioactive @SomMC1

Thank you so much for the help! I ended up going to bed at half 9 but I didn't get to sleep until much later :eek:
Best of luck xoxox
Nice to see Scottish GYGs!
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Best of luck xoxox
Nice to see Scottish GYGs!

Thank you :smile:
are you sitting any exams this year? If so what are they?
Ngl I keep getting confused by what is a GSCE (?) and an AS Level, I am confusion.:lolwut:
Thank you :smile:
are you sitting any exams this year? If so what are they?
Ngl I keep getting confused by what is a GSCE (?) and an AS Level, I am confusion.:lolwut:

There's so much confusion ha. I did so bad in high school exams , I'm doing a HNC at college in Applied Science
22nd October- 26th October

Back to school for me, this week here is just an overview of my week. I'll give a weekend update on Sunday x

Monday 22nd

Back to school after the break :argh: First I had maths and we started a new topic of the area of a triangle (a=1/2 ab sin C 0 ) it is fairly easy just plug in the numbers into the calculator and you don't need to learn the formula.:biggrin: Next, I had music, I was continuing on my composition and we are using the programme is just so so slow ( if you use Sibelius you will not what I'm talking about :eviltongue: ) anyway I'm only like 6 bars into it so honestly this will probably take me the entire year. We had French but we just had a sub so we did a reading text, then PE where we played basketball, and I kept messing up and using the netball rules oops.:colondollar: After lunch I had chemistry and I hate chemistry on a Monday because we have a different teacher who just confuses me so I don't listen. Finally, I had Spanish and it that we got another lecture on how we are all going to fail our exams, honestly this teacher gets me really down and he makes me not want to take Spanish next year.

Tuesday 23rd

Started this morning with a non-calculator maths prelim, I think I did alright in it, I will get the results on Monday if I had to guess probably about 21/30 :h:. Next was PSE but we were just researching careers and I am thinking of maybe going into a biology field?? Next was Biology where we did our exam write up which was 20% of my grade!!! I think I probably got between 16 and 19 marks out of 20! Another round of Spanish and it is just more of getting shouted out about our vocab. I didn't go to Chemistry because I had a flute lesson and I was working on tone for the young performer which is just a competition in our school. I think the first round is a week on Tuesday. I had a French national 4 test which is just a backup in case we fail the actual exam and I'm sure that I passed that test. Next was English where we finished taking notes on the story that we are doing for our prelim. Finally, I had band and in 1 month it is the competition so the teacher is getting very stressed :eek:

Wednesday 24th

More Chemistry and this time it is an introduction to the (carbonoic acids or something like that? :confused:) yep I definitely need to revise this. I also had RMPS that day and we were just talking about our teacher's life ( his wife died of epilepsy and his brother took his own life) we never do anything in RMPS so yes it maybe is my favourite subject haha. Next I had English where we started the next poem (Mrs.:eek: Midas anyone?) I quite like this one so hopefully, the next week will be enjoyable. :yeah: I also had music where we started the classical music period in listening. Oh I forgot to mention celidh group and in that, we are starting a new piece for the WW1 memorial day, but instead of being the main focus we are accompanying a Gaelic singer.

Thursday 25th

Finally started the human body in biology and I am really excited to start it!, In French, we did some revision for the test the next day. In Spanish, we finished our writing for our bullet point test which I need to start revising for. In Maths we had a calculator prelim which I think went a lot better (maybe 25/30) :smile:

Friday 26th

Finally Friday! We had our French test which I think I got everything right on except the spelling of a few words so that is great. After school, I had a community band and we started Christmas music :candycane::santa2: ( I know already!!) . When I got home I was greeted with a Maccies D!!! Woohoo!

Other things

I've been watching Riverdale, the good place this week. Side note I finished season 2 of Unforgotten just a few hours ago and honestly what a conclusion! Also, I've worked it out and there are only 5 weeks left until my December prelims:nah:.

Next week I want to of finished chapter 1.6 and chapter 1.7 of chemistry revision resources. Practice my flute daily and note bash the Christmas music. Start making resources for English prelims, continue learning all my Spanish vocabulary. Start making resources for the previous topics of biology. Finish my reflective essay.

Questions:

1. How has your week been?
- pretty good but a bit stressful.
2. How do you calm yourself when stressed?
- I colour in
3. Is there anything that you must do next week?
- study for my Spanish test.

Spoiler

glad to hear your maths tests went well!
we played netball sooo much at our school during pe that basketball just ended up turning accidentally turning into netball:lol: (that's what you get for playing netball too much:eviltongue:)
glad to hear your maths tests went well!
we played netball sooo much at our school during pe that basketball just ended up turning accidentally turning into netball:lol: (that's what you get for playing netball too much:eviltongue:)

Thank you. FIngers crossed for the results on Monday but I think that I have gotten at least 70% so this is a good start. Everyone gets annoyed when I start playing by netball rules but in my defence, they are just not getting into spaces fast enough. Netball> Basketball always :h:
Good morning everyone,
It is currently my October week/holiday so this week I am trying to fit in revision for my subjects while going out with friends however it is proving to be a challenge because whenever I start trying to make revision resources I want to finish the entire jotter worth of notes instead of just one mini topic. So I think I maybe have a bit of a case of perfectionism.

Here has been the overview of the last term;
I'm going to do this by subject because I can't remember what I did each week (however next week I will start doing things on a weekly basis on what I did each day) okie doke here we go,

Chemistry
- we have been working through Nature's Chemistry unit, so just things like alkanes/enes/alcohols and fuels etc, I have been pretty good at revising this topic as I have been making flashcards as I have gone. Just before the break we had a mid-unit assessment and somehow I managed to get 21/23 so I'm really happy with that result. I think for the rest of the year I should just keep making my flashcards and hopefully, everything should be all good.

Biology
- at the start, we were finishing off the cells unit with photosynthesis and respiration. We had an end of unit assessment and if I'm honest I didn't really revise for it I just read over my notes. I got 83% in that test (I think) that is still an A but I know that if I actually revised more I would have done better. Now more recently we had done our national 4 assignment (as a backup) which I passed. Now we have been working on our National 5 assignment which is 20% of our grade, we have our final write up the first 2 days that we come back. I'm hoping that everything will go well.

Spanish and French
- I've put my languages together as we have been doing the same things in each. We have been doing the topics past holidays and health. We haven't had any tests or anything, I am a little worried that all the vocab might catch up on me so I am going to start to try going over my vocab every night.

Music
- So we have finished the topic of Baroque in listening in music and I got 28/31. If I'm honest all I did for revision was read over my notes the night before as music comes really naturally to me and it was only a few concepts that I was unsure of. In performing I am doing flute and keyboard. I have been working really hard on my tone in the flute and I think it has improved. I have gotten 1 song under my belt so far on the keyboard so I have 4 songs all together now which I could play which is more than enough, however, I hope to get another song this term. On flute, I have been finishing off the grade 4 book and we are moving onto some grade 5 pieces so I will be fine for my Nat 5 since that is only grade 3. I am in 3 musical groups 1, my school band, 2, The orchestra for my constituency (not gonna say what it is) and 3, a celidh group which I just joined. On composition, I have only done that for 1 period so far but I am doing a wind quartet so hopefully, it should all be good.

English
- We have been working our way through our Scottish poems which I am really starting to enjoy. RUAE/Close reading is becoming easier which is good and my portfolio is coming along nicely. The only thing which I think will be a struggle is the main text that I have to write my critical essay on because you only have 45 minutes and I find it really difficult to remember quotes so I am really dreading it. Personally, I've never been a fan of English, I just feel like it drags on and on.

Maths
- This year is totally different to last year, we no longer have tests every month but instead, we just have 3 prelims and the first one is actually next Tuesday and Thursday. I am not too stressed about it as I know that I know how to do things but I will need to refresh everything especially trig identities and straight line. Our teacher wants everyone to get an A band 1 and honestly I think that it is doable for me it is only the problem-solving questions I have tricky.

Thanks if you even read this, I know it was really long. Since this was an overview of the term this was extremely large but all the other ones will be a lot shorter.
My main questions this week are:
- How do you revise for English? Like remembering quotes, and techniques being used etc?
- Anyone have any good ways to revise for languages?
-What is your favourite subject (s)?

Here is my tag list:
@entertainmyfaith , @MaizieAmyr , @charlqtte
I just tagged everyone who has commented but if you want to be untagged just tell me I won't be offended. And if somehow you want to be tagged for this mess of a human being just comment below that you want to be tagged!

Spoiler

Sounds like you're doing well so far! Always good to see SQAers doing GYG :biggrin: Can I be added to your tag list?
I don't like English either but unfortunately for most university courses you need a higher English for some reason:dontknow:

You'd be surprised- different to what some teachers might tell you, a lot of courses (at least science based) at a lot of unis actually don't...Not that that stopped my old school making it mandatory to have English in your S5 timetable :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending