The Student Room Group

history gcse

how do you learn the WHOLE gcse history syllabus?! there's literally so much.
what year are you in and what exam board??
You don't need to remember literally anything - just remember key dates and a general timeline. Most of your marks come from your evaluation and analysis rather than memory recall
:hi: moved to the gcses forum :smile:
Original post by clouddbubbles
what year are you in and what exam board??

Edexcel and year 11, got my mocks next week
Original post by laurawatt
:hi: moved to the gcses forum :smile:

Ty :smile: x
Original post by 3pointonefour
You don't need to remember literally anything - just remember key dates and a general timeline. Most of your marks come from your evaluation and analysis rather than memory recall

Seneca learning is a really useful website :yep: it does a range of exam boards and subjects :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by aliceaquaspirit

Some advice here... I didn't pay attention in the 2 years that I was doing the course nor did I pay attention in my mocks, which of course was a big mistake...so the day before the actual exam I learnt key dates and the people involved for almost 6 hours straight. I just repeated and wrote...the method is look,cover,write and check and I ended up with an A because you have time till your real exam just space it out so you do not have to cramp. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by laurawatt
Seneca learning is a really useful website :yep: it does a range of exam boards and subjects :smile:

Ty so much xx
Original post by aimman_s
Some advice here... I didn't pay attention in the 2 years that I was doing the course nor did I pay attention in my mocks, which of course was a big mistake...so the day before the actual exam I learnt key dates and the people involved for almost 6 hours straight. I just repeated and wrote...the method is look,cover,write and check and I ended up with an A because you have time till your real exam just space it out so you do not have to cramp. Hope this helps :smile:

whoa good job. thanks , I'll try it out :smile: x
Original post by aimman_s

Exactly same here - got an A despite learning the whole of Nazi Germany the day before as I had the whole of year 10 off school lol. Can definitely blag it so long as you know key dates and names etc!
Original post by beckyrichardson
Exactly same here - got an A despite learning the whole of Nazi Germany the day before as I had the whole of year 10 off school lol. Can definitely blag it so long as you know key dates and names etc!

Definitely, its just about knowing where to start memorising
Reply 12
I got a 9 and all I can say is learn SPECIFIC evidence for example statistics, names and key places. Try to limit the waffle as you don't have time. As said above the analysis and link is very important. At the end of each para link back to the question. For the 20 marker (e.g. to what extent was x the main cause) define the topic of the question, in this case define 'main cause' and refer to that criteria in your link (e.g. a main cause is a determining factor which has a widespread impact etc.)

Hope this helps, good luck :smile:
Learn it so you know the main concepts of everything and also plan loads of exam questions so if you get a similar question in the exam, you’ve already done a plan and know what to write. But the best thing you can do is learn loads of dates for all the case studies and the people involved so when you mention them you can also mention the dates and show the examiner you know your stuff. That got me a 9.
in the same boat someone help
Reply 15
Original post by huda122
in the same boat someone help

What in particular are you stuck with?
Original post by hp4300
What in particular are you stuck with?

um i need help on how to revise for history ive tried mind maps and its was useless , ive done 100x flashcards but i dont feel is helping much because theyre not condensed but ive tried making notes and slightly help but i need help on how to get specific detail i have all the textbook for Germany, Elizabeth and crime and punishment but i dont want to to waffle in my exams i just want to revise precise detail. my mocks start on 12th
Reply 17
Original post by huda122
um i need help on how to revise for history ive tried mind maps and its was useless , ive done 100x flashcards but i dont feel is helping much because theyre not condensed but ive tried making notes and slightly help but i need help on how to get specific detail i have all the textbook for Germany, Elizabeth and crime and punishment but i dont want to to waffle in my exams i just want to revise precise detail. my mocks start on 12th

For each big event write 3 specific facts and try to include one statistic if possible. It should only be about 5 pages max, try and memorise those facts and then plan a few questions using your memorised facts to see if it works for analysis. If not change your facts. Try and make as many essay plans as possible and learn those.

Specific detail includes...
Names
Dates
Any information which isn't too obvious or basic.
(edited 5 years ago)
i'm moving this to history:smile:
Original post by aliceaquaspirit

oof same

seneca learning is a lifesaver and it has your course!
and specific facts are helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending