The Student Room Group

Job

hi, I was wondering what to do out of the option as my career. I wan to find out what are the advantage and disadvantage of both of these career options which are: Hospitality job, finance or marketing job in an office.
Which is better and why?
Original post by Buavit
hi, I was wondering what to do out of the option as my career. I wan to find out what are the advantage and disadvantage of both of these career options which are: Hospitality job, finance or marketing job in an office.
Which is better and why?

:hi: moved your thread to Career sectors and graduate employment :awesome:

:bump:
Reply 2
Depends what you’re looking for. If it’s future potential earnings then finance - you can gain an accounting or other relevant qualification which puts you automatically into the higher salary bracket but that takes about 3 years. After that you’re looking at financial controller / junior FC or financial management type roles which can propel you higher if you’re driven, where you can earn 6 figures. Prior to qualifying, though, your earnings will just about see you by and you’ll have to spend a heck of a lot of time studying and slaving for your firm. The side effect is that this career is stressful and time intensive and doesn’t give you a good work life balance (at least at first).

Marketing won’t make you compulsorily sit a qualification, you can do so if you choose (depending on your employer). It’s probably recommended you do go for one (CIM) to build your CV; your goal would be to get into strategic management or directorshop in the latter stages of your career where you are actively deciding on company strategy. You can earn more at an early stage of your career and progress quickly if you’re smart, but you have to be on board with the marketing strategy of your company and any particular projects and the politics associated with them when you first join (which can be stressful, especially where your team has to meet deadlines but is reliant on others. I know this as my partner works in marketing - she does a more 9-5 job than me though and have a better work life balance (I work in finance).

I don’t know much about hospitality but I imagine it’s focused around events management and you’ll most likely be working for a hotel or a resort and coordinating large operators at a higher level. Someone else can probably provide you with more info on this, but I’d say it’s more risky option than the above as hospitality firms are heavily reliant on the economy and customer propensity to spend - which is declining at the mo.
Reply 3
Original post by vilefor
Depends what you’re looking for. If it’s future potential earnings then finance - you can gain an accounting or other relevant qualification which puts you automatically into the higher salary bracket but that takes about 3 years. After that you’re looking at financial controller / junior FC or financial management type roles which can propel you higher if you’re driven, where you can earn 6 figures. Prior to qualifying, though, your earnings will just about see you by and you’ll have to spend a heck of a lot of time studying and slaving for your firm. The side effect is that this career is stressful and time intensive and doesn’t give you a good work life balance (at least at first).

Marketing won’t make you compulsorily sit a qualification, you can do so if you choose (depending on your employer). It’s probably recommended you do go for one (CIM) to build your CV; your goal would be to get into strategic management or directorshop in the latter stages of your career where you are actively deciding on company strategy. You can earn more at an early stage of your career and progress quickly if you’re smart, but you have to be on board with the marketing strategy of your company and any particular projects and the politics associated with them when you first join (which can be stressful, especially where your team has to meet deadlines but is reliant on others. I know this as my partner works in marketing - she does a more 9-5 job than me though and have a better work life balance (I work in finance).

I don’t know much about hospitality but I imagine it’s focused around events management and you’ll most likely be working for a hotel or a resort and coordinating large operators at a higher level. Someone else can probably provide you with more info on this, but I’d say it’s more risky option than the above as hospitality firms are heavily reliant on the economy and customer propensity to spend - which is declining at the mo.

Thak you so much, that helped me a lot.
Thanks for your time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending