The Student Room Group

Pure Philosophy at uni advice needed

I have already submitted my UCAS form and this is what I have so far (all for pure philosophy:
University of York- Offer (AAB)
University of Exeter- Offer (AAB)
University of Warwick- Offer (AAB)
University of Birmingham- Offer (AAB)
University of St Andrews- No response yet

Assuming I get all my offers (bar St Andrews as I am being extremely optimistic applying) and they all ask for the same entry requirements, I am really not sure on where to go. I've asked around and the consensus seems to be that Birmingham is the least prestigious out of all my choices, despite it having the most attractive course and campus in my opinion. Most people tell me that Warwick is the best place to go but when I visited the other week, I really didn't like it (however, I did visit on a Sunday). I am very conflicted and any advice from anyone would be deeply appreciated.

Also as all my courses are the same entry requirements, does anyone know if any of the unis are more lenient with grades so I could place them as my insurance?
I am in a similar position to you (except without all the offers).

Assuming I do get some offers, I think I will choose based on the attractiveness of the course and how comfortable I feel in the campus and surrounding location, rather than based on the prestige of the institution. I don't just want a degree in philosophy - I want to do philosophy. I want to be inspired by the course content, and I want to be excited by the same things my lecturers are excited by, and I want to be in an environment that I find pleasing and encouraging of collaboration and dialogue. If I get those things right, then surely the rankings won't matter.

That's just my approach - you may have different priorities. However, perhaps I am mistaken, but Birmingham seems to come either 4th or 7th in the UK for philosophy in all the rankings I can find. When it comes to choosing between two universities that are both in the top 15 in the UK, I would go with my perception of the course and the campus.
Reply 2
Birmingham is a good dept, I know some of the guys down there and it is a consistently good course. Exeter is ok but they have lost key staff over the past couple of years (like Michael Hauskeller -- to Liverpool, I think) and so I'm not sure what their course is like now that some of their heavy hitters have gone. Warwick has a good rep but I don't think their course looks all that, personally. Same for St Andy's - great staff, but I think the undergrad course looks pretty uninspiring. York's is a broad, good curriculum, I think. I like their modules choices.
Reply 3
Original post by gjd800
Birmingham is a good dept, I know some of the guys down there and it is a consistently good course. Exeter is ok but they have lost key staff over the past couple of years (like Michael Hauskeller -- to Liverpool, I think) and so I'm not sure what their course is like now that some of their heavy hitters have gone. Warwick has a good rep but I don't think their course looks all that, personally. Same for St Andy's - great staff, but I think the undergrad course looks pretty uninspiring. York's is a broad, good curriculum, I think. I like their modules choices.

I completely agree with the courses at Warwick and St Andrews feeling dry. I do like the look of Birmingham as a campus and the course but do you think I will be missing out in the long term picking a slightly less prestigious uni?
Reply 4
Original post by JimmiTrup
I completely agree with the courses at Warwick and St Andrews feeling dry. I do like the look of Birmingham as a campus and the course but do you think I will be missing out in the long term picking a slightly less prestigious uni?

I'm honestly not sure; there are good arguments either way, but all I can offer is a perspective from someone that has been there, done it, got the degrees and teaches this stuff. It is much, much better to do a course that inspires you than one that doesn't, and I see this bear out time and time again. Of course the quality of the institution should factor in, but I'd personally take the risk (if it is one) of going to a slightly 'lesser' institution with a more engaging course. I don't think you have picked any 'bad' institutions there, they are all of a good quality.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending