The Student Room Group

RAF Officer Pilot vs Royal Army Air Corps Officer Pilot

Retracted
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
If you join the RAF you join as a pilot from day one.
If you join the Army you have to be selected to join the AAC during your second term at Sandhurst.
Rotary training is the same for both up to tactics phase.
If you don’t want to fly helicopters don’t join the AAC.
Do you want to fly helicopters or fixed wing?
Original post by Duncan2012
Do you want to fly helicopters or fixed wing?

Retracted
(edited 3 years ago)
Retracted
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by LoyaltyAboveAll
I am also 6'5
Would this pose to be an issue?
Thanks in advance

Potentially, but no way of knowing for certain.

I have a friend who is 6'5 and flying professionally, and a friend who's 6'4 and couldn't.

It's your proportions that matter, and there's no way of knowing them in advance.
@Drewski
Retracted
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
@Drewski
I just double checked. I am 195 cm in height which is actually 6'4.
I heard stories on individuals not making it through through the RAF selection due to their height.
So deep down, i have a feeling this could be the deal breaker that is considering one even reaches that stage to begin with.
yeah i doubt it but i am uncertain too. but that is something out of my control.

Doesn't mean a thing.

I'm 6'2 and would have only just met the sitting requirements (I wasn't going pilot, I just got bored during the medical and had someone who didn't mind showing me the kit).

Don't base your decision on something you can't possibly know.

Anyway, as for your thread, it's easy.
If you want to fly; RAF. End of.
Probably worth pointing out there's no such thing as the Royal Army Air Corps. It's the Army Air Corps.

To further what has already been said, depending on what your motivations are / career aspirations are. You're much more likely to be able to fly for a living permanently in the RAF, whereas the Army will expect you to be an Officer and progress in that section of your professional life above your flying.
Retracted
(edited 3 years ago)
What is the difference? Which is more competitive in their selection process? Is the RAF more credible?(i assume so)

Brief info about myself
-20 years old
-11 Gcse's
-3 A levels - IT, Math,Chemistry (A*,B,C respectively)

Thank you.

Hi

The initial part of the selection process is the same as the RAF and AAC CBAT is taken at RAF Cranwell. Neither is more 'credible' but in the AAC you'll only fly rotary, the RAF has more varied aircraft, obviously.

If you apply to be a pilot in the RAF it's just that, pilot. The RAF decides which type of aircraft you'll fly (Fast Jet, Multi-Engine or Rotary etc). You can give a preference, but it will down to a number of different factors that will determine how you're streamed. Body dimensions (not just overall height as Drewski has already advised) aptitude scores and operational requirtements by the RAF will be taken into account.

As has already been advised, if you meet all of the entry and eligibility cirtiera you can submit an application, it's how you do at Officer and Aircrew Selection that will determine whether you get to be a pilot in the RAF.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Quick Reply

Latest