The Student Room Group

women in the african-american civil rights movement

PLZ HELP ME
I don't know how to even go about writing my ao1 draft for my coursework! I need to do 2000 words and I only have a few days to do it :frown:
my question is "How influential was the role of women in comparison to that of men during the struggle for African American civil rights between 1884-1968?"
i am starting from ida b wells, and working from there, but dont really know how to really structure it? should i do an introduction at the start to the whole of the civil rights movement or just to women during the struggle? any help would be really apreciated !! :smile:
Original post by allyt2701
PLZ HELP ME
I don't know how to even go about writing my ao1 draft for my coursework! I need to do 2000 words and I only have a few days to do it :frown:
my question is "How influential was the role of women in comparison to that of men during the struggle for African American civil rights between 1884-1968?"
i am starting from ida b wells, and working from there, but dont really know how to really structure it? should i do an introduction at the start to the whole of the civil rights movement or just to women during the struggle? any help would be really apreciated !! :smile:

Introduction to set out the scope of your investigation.

Youve obviously had this essay for weeks, so you only have yourself to blame.

I will assume youve done the research. 84-68. What did it achieve?

Men v women? How many were significant figures? Briefly brush over the significance of men and talk about 2 or 3 famous ones and how important they were.

Turn it on its head and answer the question in its asking you to focus on women and whether or how much they contributed.

1. Examine the contribution of women as a group of people. What did they do in the civil rights movement? they must have been 50%?
2. Then examine the contribution of key individual women and their achievements? Between 3 and 5. Who were they an what did they contribute?.

Then go to the evaluation and answer the question again

You might point out its unfair to expect equal contribution from women because they were under an even more limited role in society and were not on an equal footing to men.

That said women were 50% of the population. They found ways of protest and supporting the cause in their own ways.
They also did things like held families together and supported other men and women through organisation.

There were also individual actors who made unique contributions to events, without which certain things may not have progressed or would have taken longer. Without the contribution and support of women then progress would not have been as swift or successful.
So when you compare, its always important to recognise the different starting positions and limitations rather than a direct comparison to men, which would be misleading and inaccurate.

Then just write your conclusion with a bit of opinion.
Reply 2
lmao thanks for the shade hahaha i love that, i am aware i am awful, thanks for the pointers tho, gonna try and do it all now bc i procrastinated even more after this post <3
Which historians are you using?
Reply 4
Original post by LeapingLucy
Which historians are you using?

still trying to find some, still very much struggling, still havent written about my sources, but I feel like next to no people have written about women :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending