The Student Room Group

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Burton Bridge
It means I think we should not revisit the question you have asked as a nation. A simple

'Has you view on Bexit changed in the last 2 years? yes or no'

would of been different and Id of voted no.

My opinion has only changed of the politicians from my dismay of political figures to deliver the best for the people of the country.

Your proposed question may superficially seem like an unloaded paraphrasing of the OP, but has some very important differences that justify the way the original poll was created.

The question: 'Has your view on Brexit Changed, yes or no' would perhaps provide quantifiable data on whether opinions have changed, but not actually on what those opinions are/were. The latter is significantly more meaningful to extrapolate a general consensus. Given that this is a hypothetical question, and not actually a suggestion as to whether a second referendum is right or wrong, it makes far more sense to phrase it the way that it has been, because significantly more can be derived from its results.

For your question to be meaningful, there would have to be 4 options;
- Voted Leave, would still vote Leave
- Voted Leave, would vote Remain
- Voted Remain, would vote Leave
- Voted Remain, would still vote Remain

There's nothing wrong with OP's question.

On the topic of 'making a mockery of democracy', I still fail to understand this argument. There have been unequivocal changes to what 'Brexit' represents, and the task - as has been made clear by pretty much every politician involved - is significantly more complex than originally thought.

Given the vast differences between what was promised during the campaign for Brexit, and what is now looking likely (a no deal Brexit), what is so undemocratic about asking the British electorate to confirm what they would prefer now, given tangible circumstantial information?
If the democratic will of the people is that we leave, then that is the democracy. If the democratic will of the people is now that we remain, then that is democracy. It is undemocratic, given the current situation, to deny the electorate of that opportunity.

Democracy isn't just we voted for this once, so that's it. If this were the case, we wouldn't have general elections.
(edited 5 years ago)
Remain, as before. It’s the lesser of two evils.

But there’s always money to be made in large market swings, regardless of whether it’s up or down. The people who will feel the negative effects are exactly those provincial counties who made their feelings very clear.
Leave because above all else liberty always comes first.
Original post by StrawberryDreams
Knowing what you now know about Brexit and all the challenges/new opportunities it presents, what would you vote for if given the chance - leave or remain?

Have your say!

Leave
Original post by paul514
Leave

Are there any reasons for your choice (if you wish to tell us?)
Both have positives, but at the moment I'd vote 'remain' just because I feel like the country has a-lot of other internal issues we need to sort out, such as the economical situation with the NHS. I feel like leaving the EU will only make more things complicated right now, though it'd probably be worth considering later down the line.
Anyone who voted leave that would now vote remain?
Entirely depends on the type of Brexit. My preference...
1) Soft Brexit
2) Remain
3) Everything else
To misquote one of my favourite authors:

“Brexit has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried”
Leave. They hate us. Why should we stay?
Knowing what you now know about Brexit and all the challenges/new opportunities it presents, what would you vote for if given the chance - leave or remain?

Have your say!

Still, say remain because the government should have foreseen this issue and have contingencies in place. It's more trouble than its worth tbh.
Have you ever spoken to an old person? That statement is invariably true -- half of them still think they're in Normandy fighting Wilhelm II.
Remain for now (again)

While I'm sure it could be made to work successfully, there isn't a single group of politicians today that i really trust to objectively make it work without their own personal interests inteferring. These things take time, consideration, evaluation and planning, all of which should have done from the start, but instead we're now so wrapped up in a mess of political infighting that no one can talk about anything else on the news these days (apart from trump).
Are there any reasons for your choice (if you wish to tell us?)

Yes the same ones in 2016, nothings changed.
I voted remain in 2016. If we have a similar vote in the near future I would almost certainly vote leave.
I would vote for Remain, for the following reasons:

1) In my view, the 2016 Referendum should be void. This is because it asked completely the wrong question.

It should have asked “Should the UK trigger Article 50, beginning the process to Leave the EU”. A majority would probably have voted “Yes”, and we could immediately honour the result by triggering Article 50 (as we have done).

Instead, the Referendum asked “Should the UK Leave the EU”. This is a very problematic question, because actually leaving the EU can only happen at least two years after the referendum. This means that people who vote one way might not necessarily still be of the same mind by the time exit day comes. Indeed a lot can change in two years, but people simply had to vote “Yes” or “No”. They had no ability to say “it depends on what happens between now and then”.

For this reason, I believe that referenda should only ever ask a question that can be implemented immediately, so as to avoid such democratic ambiguity. With that in mind, and given that the 2016 Referendum was officially “advisory”, I think it gives us every right to say “look, we’ve done our best to honour the result and Leave the EU, but it’s not working out as planned”.

2) I simply don’t see how Brexit benefits us in any way. I cannot think of a single advantage of it.

It puts an end to the free movement of people. But the free movement of people is a great thing. It makes it far easier for jobs to be filled by the best person to do it, instead of a person born on an arbitrarily defined piece of land. Not only does that benefit our economy, it also opens up a world of opportunities for us in other EU countries.

It frees us up to make trade deals with the rest of the world. But by being part of the EU, we already have one of the best possible trade arrangements. We are part of all free trade agreements made collectively by the EU, and we also have frictionless trade between our biggest and nearest trading partners. Leaving the EU would set us back heavily in terms of trade, with little bargaining power when it comes to forming new trade agreements with other countries, trading with those countries would be far less efficient in terms of cost (as they are physically further away), and it would require an extreme reshuffle of the proportions in which we trade with other countries, which would take a lot of time and money. A successful economy requires as much unity and as little friction as possible, amongst a large population of people.

It gives us independence from the EU in terms of making laws and regulations. But the UK has voted in favour of 95% of laws and regulations made by the EU, and abstained from voting regarding a further 3%. Furthermore, as one of the largest economies in the EU, the UK has substantial influence in actually shaping those laws and regulations. Being part of the EU also creates further checks and balances in terms of the laws we make for ourselves. For example, the European Court of Human Rights can intervene if any of our laws are found to be racist or sexist etc.
Original post by Toki the Dumdum
I voted remain in 2016. If we have a similar vote in the near future I would almost certainly vote leave.

Are there any particular reasons why you would change your vote if you don't mind me asking?
Are there any particular reasons why you would change your vote if you don't mind me asking?

That was the result of the referendum in 2016 and I think it's correct that we honour it. I was quite gutted about it at the time but I have accepted it and I believe we need to have a Brexit in one form or another. It can be either a full no-deal or the softest Brino possible, I'm just of the opinion that us leaving the EU is a must.
Reply 38
Original post by Notoriety
Have you ever spoken to an old person? That statement is invariably true -- half of them still think they're in Normandy fighting Wilhelm II.

Haha, my uncle is in his 60s and is exactly like this. Everything in life is a conflict to be won.
Don’t really know the reason behind this poll. Most of the users are still in secondary school or doing A levels, Remain is always going to win. On top of that, let’s not forget TSR is mad elf a very specific group of students who focus more on studies than real life experiences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending