The Student Room Group

Higher History - Germany

Hi, I am just wondering if anybody has a quote or reason for economic problems being more important than the weakness of opponents for Hitler's rise to power as i couldn't find any quotes online. Thank you. Also, when you write your essay in class, you include 4 factors but there are a potential of five . So should I learn knowledge/analysis/evaluation for the fifth factor as it may come up in the exam?
Original post by amber100
Hi, I am just wondering if anybody has a quote or reason for economic problems being more important than the weakness of opponents for Hitler's rise to power as i couldn't find any quotes online. Thank you. Also, when you write your essay in class, you include 4 factors but there are a potential of five . So should I learn knowledge/analysis/evaluation for the fifth factor as it may come up in the exam?

if the economy goes bad, political reason goes out the window. people were starving and were desperate for a solution. hitler was the only one providing solutions: he fed them with soup kitchens, and promised them work. he also provided a scapegoat for the crises they faced: the Jewish people.
Reply 2
Original post by ecofriendlyduck
if the economy goes bad, political reason goes out the window. people were starving and were desperate for a solution. hitler was the only one providing solutions: he fed them with soup kitchens, and promised them work. he also provided a scapegoat for the crises they faced: the Jewish people.

Thank you!!
Unemployment after the Great Depression soared pretty high. It peaked at 30% unemployed workforce in 1932. There was also general upsets earlier in 1923 when the Ruhr crisis caused hyperinflation (a loaf of bread cost 0.6 marks in 1918, 250 marks in January 1923 and 1.5 million marks in September 1923). Although Stresemann solved this by replacing the currency, Germany set itself up for failure as the US gave them loans after the 1924 Dawes Plan, which has to be recalled after the Wall Street Crash, leaving Germany's economy basically crippled. So yeah, the people were pretty upset and because Hitler promised to fix everything, particularly revise the Versailles reparations scheme in general, he had lots of supporters because of economic promises alone. He did manage to reduce the unemployment rate to below 200,000 people in 1939 (but mainly forced people to work).
Original post by Aspenfire
Unemployment after the Great Depression soared pretty high. It peaked at 30% unemployed workforce in 1932. There was also general upsets earlier in 1923 when the Ruhr crisis caused hyperinflation (a loaf of bread cost 0.6 marks in 1918, 250 marks in January 1923 and 1.5 million marks in September 1923). Although Stresemann solved this by replacing the currency, Germany set itself up for failure as the US gave them loans after the 1924 Dawes Plan, which has to be recalled after the Wall Street Crash, leaving Germany's economy basically crippled. So yeah, the people were pretty upset and because Hitler promised to fix everything, particularly revise the Versailles reparations scheme in general, he had lots of supporters because of economic promises alone. He did manage to reduce the unemployment rate to below 200,000 people in 1939 (but mainly forced people to work).

side note, the unemployment rates we see generally do not include jews (and women i believe) so just a little bit of historical context behind these figures :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Aspenfire

Thanks - this helped alot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending