The Student Room Group

Dropping Chemistry A level

After a term of chemistry A level it is pretty clear that:
1)I’m not enjoying it at all
2)I’m actually struggling quite a bit

Getting an 8 at GCSE, I thought I would grasp it but I’m finding it rough and hard.

My options are English, and RE if I drop it, and RE I would love as I enjoyed it last year, and I’m good at writing essays (I got the highest RE result at GCSE).

I’ve put it off and off I think it’s about time I change otherwise I could be looking at a B, best case an A, and a over a year of hell. I’m thinking of doing either history or law at uni. I’m taking history physics chemistry and EPQ at the moment. I’m also applying to oxford.

What do you think, should I drop it?
(edited 5 years ago)
Having missed a term of whatever subject you take on, you are going to be playing major catch up....Chat to your teachers for both subjects (Chem and the ones you might take on) and see what they recommend. Either combination is fine for Law/History.
You’re in the same space as me last year. I was doing Maths, Chemistry, Physics and History and decided to do History at uni. Consequently, I dropped physics and have never looked back. One of the best decisions of my life.

That being said, I dropped Physics in October and didn’t pick up another subject.

Are you sure you can catch up with RE? You could always retake the year if things get dire...
Reply 3
Great advice,

Definitely have the work ethic to catch up espeacilly since RE is something I enjoy.
Reply 4
Obviously very similar.

I’m willing to take it on, should be about a month of catching up. I’m going to speak to teachers and see if it’s possible. I just think there is little to no point enduring so much pain. Do you think the fact it’s not a facilitating subject will matter?
Reply 5
What about the fact RE is not a facilitating subject?
Original post by ryan15mcc
Obviously very similar.

I’m willing to take it on, should be about a month of catching up. I’m going to speak to teachers and see if it’s possible. I just think there is little to no point enduring so much pain. Do you think the fact it’s not a facilitating subject will matter?

No - You have two solid other in History and Physics, and an EPQ alongside.
I would definitely drop a weak subject that you're not enjoying as early as possible. Wish I did with biology!
Reply 8
Ok good good. Sounds like it should go well.
Reply 9
Thanks!

Sound logic, no point doing something you’re Not gonna excel in.
Thanks!

Sound logic, no point doing something you’re Not gonna excel in.

@ryan15mcc if you press the orange quote or reply button under the comment of the person you are responding to, it makes it easier to follow when you are replying!!
Reply 11
Original post by Simbasoul
@ryan15mcc if you press the orange quote or reply button under the comment of the person you are responding to, it makes it easier to follow when you are replying!!

Haha oops.

it appears I was deleting them cuz I thought the quotes were not really necessary.
What about the fact RE is not a facilitating subject?

That shouldn’t matter. I now do Chemistry, Maths, History and EPQ to boost my essay writing skills and just got an offer to study History at Cambridge of all places! Universities are very forgiving about not having obviously linked subjects.

You may have to link RS or Science to Law/History in your personal statement though. If done well, it makes you stand out.
Reply 13
Original post by scoobyice8
That shouldn’t matter. I now do Chemistry, Maths, History and EPQ to boost my essay writing skills and just got an offer to study History at Cambridge of all places! Universities are very forgiving about not having obviously linked subjects.

You may have to link RS or Science to Law/History in your personal statement though. If done well, it makes you stand out.

Okay, that is really impressive, still can’t decide whether to apply to camebridge or oxford!

well done, and I will defiantly try to link them now that you have said that. Thank you so much!
Reply 14

Still all facilitating though 😬
Still all facilitating though 😬

You can make any subject facilitating with the right phrasing. RS links to early modern history in a big way, consider heresy and the reformation. RS links to law too, church law for example.

I don’t know about Law but certainly for History, most unis only require 1 essay writing subject at A Level.
Reply 16
You can make any subject facilitating with the right phrasing. RS links to early modern history in a big way, consider heresy and the reformation. RS links to law too, church law for example.

I don’t know about Law but certainly for History, most unis only require 1 essay writing subject at A Level.

Ok thanks!
Okay, that is really impressive, still can’t decide whether to apply to camebridge or oxford!

well done, and I will defiantly try to link them now that you have said that. Thank you so much!

Just double check Cambridge - whilst they are generally happy with 2 facilitating subjects, they sometimes have required subjects too.
Reply 18
Original post by Simbasoul
Just double check Cambridge - whilst they are generally happy with 2 facilitating subjects, they sometimes have required subjects too.

Just have yeh,

you need history and another essay essay based I think by the sounds of it.

Quick Reply

Latest