The Student Room Group

A Levels?

Feeling incredibly unsure about jobs in the future, although medicine is an option. I wanted to take Chemistry, Maths, History and English Lit at A level, as I felt this would keep my options quite open. Are these okay A levels from a broad perspective? Or would they prevent me from doing Medicine in the future if i wanted to? My maths teachers are telling me maths would count as my second science, but my science teachers are telling me that's rubbish!
Original post by kmr3902
Feeling incredibly unsure about jobs in the future, although medicine is an option. I wanted to take Chemistry, Maths, History and English Lit at A level, as I felt this would keep my options quite open. Are these okay A levels from a broad perspective? Or would they prevent me from doing Medicine in the future if i wanted to? My maths teachers are telling me maths would count as my second science, but my science teachers are telling me that's rubbish!

I know that Maths, Chemistry and History are great A-Levels that open up a large range of career paths. I don't have experience of English.
But not having Biology alongside Chemistry will definitely close a few opportunities in science, which stops you from Medicine and also dentistry (apart from at Queen's University Belfast).

Have you decided what you'd like to study at university? How are your grades in Maths, Chemistry, History, English Lit and Biology? Are there any of these subjects that you don't like?
Reply 2
Original post by Infinite Series
I know that Maths, Chemistry and History are great A-Levels that open up a large range of career paths. I don't have experience of English.
But not having Biology alongside Chemistry will definitely close a few opportunities in science, which stops you from Medicine and also dentistry (apart from at Queen's University Belfast).

Have you decided what you'd like to study at university? How are your grades in Maths, Chemistry, History, English Lit and Biology? Are there any of these subjects that you don't like?

My grades in these subjects are:
Maths- I got two A*'s
Chemistry- predicted an A*, I got this in the first half which we sat last year
Biology and history- same as Chemistry
English Lit - I got an A*, as we sat it last year

Honestly at the moment I'm really struggling for ideas. Medicine seems the most likely, I'm just not passionate about it.
Thanks for your reply.
Original post by kmr3902

I think you've got a really decent set of subjects there, do you do AS level as well?
edit: The thing which has inspired me to look for ideas for the future is checking out the ucas website and writing down every subject which sounds interesting, then ordering them by how likely I'd do it and how interesting they are. Then I would research them. Hope this helps xD
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by XKangaotiCX
I think you've got a really decent set of subjects there, do you do AS level as

Most of my teachers have recommended to us taking 4 at AS level, and then dropping to 3 at A level.
Original post by kmr3902

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-be-a-doctor/
Original post by kmr3902
My grades in these subjects are:
Maths- I got two A*'s
Chemistry- predicted an A*, I got this in the first half which we sat last year
Biology and history- same as Chemistry
English Lit - I got an A*, as we sat it last year

Honestly at the moment I'm really struggling for ideas. Medicine seems the most likely, I'm just not passionate about it.
Thanks for your reply.

It's great that you have those A* grades, so i'm sure you won't struggle too much with any of these subjects at A-Level.
Before deciding your career path, it's important to identify what you want in your job; Is it money/respect/work-life balance etc?
Reply 8
Original post by Infinite Series
It's great that you have those A* grades, so i'm sure you won't struggle too much with any of these subjects at A-Level.
Before deciding your career path, it's important to identify what you want in your job; Is it money/respect/work-life balance etc?

If I'm being perfectly honest one of the main pulls of medicine is the good GP salary and the good job security compared to other professions, but I'm worried I won't enjoy it. I always wanted to be a lawyer, but people are consistently telling me about all the people they know who can't get law jobs so it's really putting me off.
You could always look into engineering, if you have a scientific mind/maths affinity.

Data analytics is also a hot field/computer science. AI has a long way to go until automating those roles away. (if the humans disappear you could still manage the cloud and program the robots).

Also becoming a knowledge worker who delivers unique services to the economy (management/consulting/accounting).

Those areas you still require humans to conduct business.

AI will likely never meet up for a business conference. There will always be a human aspect to business due to our innate nature for collaboration and competion.

Even Tesla (arguably the most blatant firm hell bent on cost cutting through AI) for example, Elon Musk has stated robots are very good at some jobs, but not amazing at all human creativity and adaptability is still far ahead of AI/Robotics.

So anything dealing with people requiring creativity and providing services using knowledge is what you should considers.

Sorry if these got long winded but I have thought about the future quite a bit also.

I'm not trying to talk you out of becoming a doctor by any means, but if you don't have an incessant desire to help people.. I personally feel you shouldn't do medicine for financial reasons etc. (there actually are also surgical robots who are learning to replace humans)...AI could potentially in ten years or so widespread learn how to read and more effectively diagnose x-ray imaging.

The question is how quickly AI can be developed and then sold at economies of scale (cheaper widespread production).
Reply 10
Original post by Realitysreflexx
You could always look into engineering, if you have a scientific mind/maths affinity.

Data analytics is also a hot field/computer science. AI has a long way to go until automating those roles away. (if the humans disappear you could still manage the cloud and program the robots).

Also becoming a knowledge worker who delivers unique services to the economy (management/consulting/accounting).

Those areas you still require humans to conduct business.

AI will likely never meet up for a business conference. There will always be a human aspect to business due to our innate nature for collaboration and competion.

Even Tesla (arguably the most blatant firm hell bent on cost cutting through AI) for example, Elon Musk has stated robots are very good at some jobs, but not amazing at all human creativity and adaptability is still far ahead of AI/Robotics.

So anything dealing with people requiring creativity and providing services using knowledge is what you should considers.

Sorry if these got long winded but I have thought about the future quite a bit also.

I'm not trying to talk you out of becoming a doctor by any means, but if you don't have an incessant desire to help people.. I personally feel you shouldn't do medicine for financial reasons etc. (there actually are also surgical robots who are learning to replace humans)...AI could potentially in ten years or so widespread learn how to read and more effectively diagnose x-ray imaging.

The question is how quickly AI can be developed and then sold at economies of scale (cheaper widespread production).

Thank you so much for such an in depth reply. I've been having a really good think about it recently and though I love to help people, I just don't have the passion for sciences that so many people are telling me I would need. For me, I think a more suitable choice would be either a finance/ economical based career or even economics (like you suggested), as I know I'd actually enjoy these. Just back to square one with choosing options! Never mind!

Quick Reply

Latest