The Student Room Group

Transfer to Cambridge?

Is it possible to do a year at university X and then transfer to Year 2 at Cambridge? The reason I didn't apply this year was because I started my biology A-level around January (and am sitting it this summer) so I wasn't prepared enough to take the assessment - and I'd like to avoid taking another gap year if at all possible.
If Cambridge accept transfers, you will have to ask.
Reply 2
I tried to look online but couldn't find if they do accept transfers or not (probably a bad sign). Anyone else know?
Original post by Kinyonga
Is it possible to do a year at university X and then transfer to Year 2 at Cambridge? The reason I didn't apply this year was because I started my biology A-level around January (and am sitting it this summer) so I wasn't prepared enough to take the assessment - and I'd like to avoid taking another gap year if at all possible.

I believe that Cambridge don't accept such transfers, as I believe @Doonesbury can confirm?
I tried to look online but couldn't find if they do accept transfers or not (probably a bad sign). Anyone else know?

All unis offer transfers using ECTS. Just send them an email. Whether they have spare places in Y2 is another matter.

[email protected]
Reply 5
Original post by TomBomo
All unis offer transfers using ECTS. Just send them an email. Whether they have spare places in Y2 is another matter.

[email protected]

Thanks for your reply. What is/are ECTS?
Original post by TomBomo

[email protected]

Cambridge doesn't use ECTS. Not all universities accept transfers for a variety of reasons - most medical schools will not accept students who have studied at another medical school previously, for example, and of the handful that do they will normally only consider it in exceptional circumstances.

Generally, no.

From their admissions pages (https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/faq):

"
Can I transfer to Cambridge from another university?
Cambridge Colleges will only, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students enrolled in a degree course at other UK universities in very exceptional circumstances.
Any application to study at Cambridge would need strong support from your Course Director or other academic tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from that person to the Cambridge College would be required, and only then can a Cambridge College consider an application. All such applications are still subject to the same academic assessment as any other application to the University.
"

Unless you have extenuating circumstances or some specific reason you can only study in Cambridge (e.g. family/caring commitments) I think it's highly unlikely they will consider it. It is also highly likely you will be starting the course from year 1, rather than "transferring" into year 2, although this may vary a bit depending on the course and college in question (provided of course they are happy to accept such an application which is unlikely in the first place).
Reply 7
Original post by ageshallnot
I believe that Cambridge don't accept such transfers, as I believe @Doonesbury can confirm?

Correct :yep:

Original post by TomBomo

[email protected]

It's as per @artful_lounger's reply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending