The Student Room Group

Why can't we change the Union Jack and anthem to something more up-to-date???

(wrong section I know, but know some crazy right wing ppl will come after me)

The Union Jack, a composite flag of former Christian nations, especially the St George's Cross, associated and adopted by Richard I from Genoa with crusaders in the 12th century, with similar Christian backgrounds to the St Andrews Cross etc.

Why should some old Christian imagery be imposed on our multicultural nation, with many peoples and religions living on the same land??

Why can't we adopt a flag that is welcoming, instead of stamping this religion everywhere even on our flag.

This is without even looking at the defunct monarchy, who is head of a state religion?? no thanks.

Christianity may be part of our long history, but its time to bring it up to date to accomodate the many Jews, Muslims etc. who also reside in this proud nation.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm pretty sure you're the only person who looks at the Union Jack and thinks "bloody Christians!"
Reply 2
Original post by Sataris
I'm pretty sure you're the only person who looks at the Union Jack and thinks "bloody Christians!"

not just the flag, our monarchy and anthem, all possess Christian imagery - that simply isn't representative of our nation anymore..
Do you have any ides in mind?

Part of the reason for having these things is to project the idea of stability and continuity into the world. Changes of flag and anthem are usually signals that the previous system has collapsed or been defeated.
in july i was telling people our national anthem should be 'it's coming home' for obvious reasons
well what would you prefer? Sweet but a psycho or everybody wanna steal my girl as the next anthem?
Reply 6
Original post by Joinedup
Do you have any ides in mind?

Part of the reason for having these things is to project the idea of stability and continuity into the world. Changes of flag and anthem are usually signals that the previous system has collapsed or been defeated.

or that we are now accepting of people of all kinds - not a sign of weakness but of strength - a flag void of religion e.g. a tricolour like that of Germany or France.

The fact that our monarch is head of a state religion is not really progressive
Reply 7

Yes mate solid flag design
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
In all seriousness, it's part of the history of the countries that make up the United Kingdom, and the history makes it the country that it is today
Original post by Sinnoh

Yes mate solid flag design

The Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists and Jedis are up in arms
traitor😂
(edited 5 years ago)
Moved to Chat.

Yes the flag of England has the red, Christian cross but you do realise the Union Flag is made up of the Scottish and Welsh flags too?

You can't just erase 100s/1000s of years of history just to bring something up to your standard of the modern day.

The Canadian flag has a maple leaf on it - Do you think that's representative of the wide array of the people living in Canada? :biggrin:
Original post by CTLeafez
Moved to Chat.

Yes the flag of England has the red, Christian cross but you do realise the Union Flag is made up of the Scottish and Welsh flags too?

You can't just erase 100s/1000s of years of history just to bring something up to your standard of the modern day.

The Canadian flag has a maple leaf on it - Do you think that's representative of the wide array of the people living in Canada? :biggrin:

yes because maple

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the maple leaf has never been a symbol or subject of worship.
Moved to Chat.

for reference - not arguing anything:

The St Andrews Cross of Scotland : "According to legend, the Christian apostle and martyr Saint Andrew, the patron saint of Scotland, was crucified on an X-shaped cross"
Irish Cross : "The red saltire's association with Saint Patrick dates from the 1780s, when the Order of Saint Patrick adopted it as an emblem"
Both derived from Christian imagery..

Noone knows where that legendary Welsh dragon is from though :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

The Union Jack, a composite flag of former Christian nations, especially the St George's Cross, associated and adopted by Richard I from Genoa with crusaders in the 12th century, with similar Christian backgrounds to the St Andrews Cross etc.

Why should some old Christian imagery be imposed on our multicultural nation, with many peoples and religions living on the same land??

Why can't we adopt a flag that is welcoming, instead of stamping this religion everywhere even on our flag.

This is without even looking at the defunct monarchy, who is head of a state religion?? no thanks.

Christianity may be part of our long history, but its time to bring it up to date to accomodate the many Jews, Muslims etc. who also reside in this proud nation.

you should be tied up.
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet

Noone knows where that legendary Welsh dragon is from though :smile:

Legend of Vortigern at Dinas Emrys, surely? The victorious red dragon?
Original post by Mactotaur
Legend of Vortigern at Dinas Emrys, surely? The victorious red dragon?

The oldest known use of the dragon from the Historia Brittonum - but not known for sure

Coolest flag though - a dragon would be amazing on the Union Jack lol
Original post by Anonymous

This country has been Christian for centuries - if you dont like our anthem/flag/monarchy feel free to board the next train to France.
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
This country has been Christian for centuries - if you dont like our anthem/flag/monarchy feel free to board the next train to France.

ah yes just tell people go somewhere else ez (reminds me of mr birling lmfao)

Quick Reply

Latest