The Student Room Group

Ending my tenancy early due to surgery

Hi,

I am at a private student accomodation place and would like to end my tenancy a couple months early since I have a surgery and because of that and the recovery time the property would be empty.

The company said that would only release me from my agreement if I find a replacement but that's unlikely since nobody wants to stay at student accom for a couple months.

I checked my contract and there was no clause with regards to termination but I was hoping there was something I could do since my reason is on medical grounds.

Thanks
You’re relying on goodwill on the part of the landlord/agency and there’s really no reason for them to lose 8 weeks rent because your circumstances have changed.

You can advise them of your reasons and provide evidence but it’s a long shot to say the least.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
You’re relying on goodwill on the part of the landlord/agency and there’s really no reason for them to lose 8 weeks rent because your circumstances have changed.

You can advise them of your reasons and provide evidence but it’s a long shot to say the least.

Thank you

Would I be able to say that the surgery would put me out of work so I would be unable to pay rent during that duration anyway? So it would be in everyone's interest to just terminate it early
Original post by scythe2003
Thank you

Would I be able to say that the surgery would put me out of work so I would be unable to pay rent during that duration anyway? So it would be in everyone's interest to just terminate it early

If you were in uni managed accommodation you might have half a chance, but for private I think they’ll either ask you to establish a payment plan or refer you to a debt collection agency.

Essentially what you’re asking them is, “why don’t you lose this money instead of me?”
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
If you were in uni managed accommodation you might have half a chance, but for private I think they’ll either ask you to establish a payment plan or refer you to a debt collection agency.

Essentially what you’re asking them is, “why don’t you lose this money instead of me?”

do you reckon I could get a hardship fund from the uni? since my surgery would put me put of work for those 2 months

I know some unis provide support for situations like this
do you reckon I could get a hardship fund from the uni? since my surgery would put me put of work for those 2 months

It's certainly worth asking about. I've never administered hardship funds so I can't say how likely it is though.
Reply 6

Most students arrange any surgery during the summer - is this not a possibility?

A contract can't be broken for this reason.
Hi,

I am at a private student accomodation place and would like to end my tenancy a couple months early since I have a surgery and because of that and the recovery time the property would be empty.

The company said that would only release me from my agreement if I find a replacement but that's unlikely since nobody wants to stay at student accom for a couple months.

I checked my contract and there was no clause with regards to termination but I was hoping there was something I could do since my reason is on medical grounds.

Thanks

Hi there,

I'm sorry to read this but you may find that there is no requirement for your accommodation to release you. However, I have friends that have managed to find replacements this time of year so you may be able to. I'd recommend to contact your student union to see what advice they can give you around your contract and finding a replacement.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Most students arrange any surgery during the summer - is this not a possibility?

A contract can't be broken for this reason.

I've been waiting for more than 3 years for it, it's an important surgery and if I reschedule heaven knows when the next date would be

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending