The Student Room Group

New experience but bad paying job?

I have been offered a job at Starbucks for £5.95 an hour. It is very accessible to me and seems like an exciting workplace and a good opportunity to get more experience but the pay really isn’t great. Do you guys thinks it’s worth taking the job?
Better than nothing
Reply 2
Original post by Student-95
Better than nothing

Yh true thanks x
5.95 is fine for a weekend job at 17, I'd be disappointed with it as a grad working full time - you can always keep looking for stuff
Reply 4
Original post by doodle_333
5.95 is fine for a weekend job at 17, I'd be disappointed with it as a grad working full time - you can always keep looking for stuff

I am 17 actually😂
Original post by Anonymous
I am 17 actually😂

it's great but keep looking gfor jobs while ur there and look for better ones, can't get much till u go to uni tho;/
Reply 6
Original post by csh19120522
it's great but keep looking gfor jobs while ur there and look for better ones, can't get much till u go to uni tho;/

Yh I used to get £8.80 but I left that job and forgot how hard it is to find good paying jobs at this age. Thank you tho
Yh I used to get £8.80 but I left that job and forgot how hard it is to find good paying jobs at this age. Thank you tho

ah that sucks bc 8.80 is good for a 17 year old. rip
I have been offered a job at Starbucks for £5.95 an hour. It is very accessible to me and seems like an exciting workplace and a good opportunity to get more experience but the pay really isn’t great. Do you guys thinks it’s worth taking the job?

I am 17 actually😂

That's above minimum wage for your age. I'd say go for it, if you feel happy enough working there. The 17 year olds where I work (restaurant based only get paid 4.30 per hour which I'd say is minimum wage for 17 year olds.

Also don't forget minimum wage is going up in April as well.

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by csh19120522
ah that sucks bc 8.80 is good for a 17 year old. rip

Innih :/
Original post by Chronoscope
That's above minimum wage for your age. I'd say go for it, if you feel happy enough working there. The 17 year olds where I work (restaurant based only get paid 4.30 per hour which I'd say is minimum wage for 17 year olds.

Also don't forget minimum wage is going up in April as well.

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

Yh it seems like a nice place to work plus I wouldn’t mind learning how to make some of their drinks😂. And I didn’t know that but I don’t think that would affect how much I get paid would it?
Reply 11
Yeah it seems like a cool new job that you can keep for a while. The pay is decent and learning how to make coffees and drinks is cool. However what I would say is though, keep your working hours reasonable. I’m in year 12 and my best friend started working at Costa at the start of the year. The managers thought she was doing a good job and liked her, so instead of paying her more they asked her to work extra hours. By November she was working 4 or 5 days per per week after school. After work she became exhausted and struggled to finish her homework and keep on top of revision on time, so she quit. Please keep on top of schoolwork as a priority and don’t work too many hours to become exhausted!
Original post by Deggs_14
Yeah it seems like a cool new job that you can keep for a while. The pay is decent and learning how to make coffees and drinks is cool. However what I would say is though, keep your working hours reasonable. I’m in year 12 and my best friend started working at Costa at the start of the year. The managers thought she was doing a good job and liked her, so instead of paying her more they asked her to work extra hours. By November she was working 4 or 5 days per per week after school. After work she became exhausted and struggled to finish her homework and keep on top of revision on time, so she quit. Please keep on top of schoolwork as a priority and don’t work too many hours to become exhausted!

Thank you I had a chat with the manager about this as that was the problem with my last job the hours just didn’t work for my lifestyle so made it hard to keep up with school. Thanks for the advice xxx
Sometimes you have to take lower paying jobs in order to get the experience. If this is your first job then I'd stick with it.
Take it. Its true value is the longer-term evidence it provides of your work ethic.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DrSocSciences
Take it. It’s true value is the longer-term evidence it provides of your work ethic.

Very good point actually I didn’t think about that and I definitely need the experience thanks x
Original post by bones-mccoy
Sometimes you have to take lower paying jobs in order to get the experience. If this is your first job then I'd stick with it.

Yh it’s my second I’ve accepted it so thank you wish me luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending