The Student Room Group

Can anyone help me pick my firm and insurance choice?

Hi all,

I’ve finally heard back from all 5 unis I applied to and delighted to hear I’ve received offers from all 5 for law ☺️

The only issue is because there isn’t much discrepancy in terms of grades for them all, I’m really struggling to decide which to put as my firm and insurance choice and was wondering if anyone who was perhaps more knowledgeable could help?

My offers are from:

Durham (A*AA)
Nottingham (AAA)
Exeter (AAA (AAB firm)
York (AAA)
Newcastle (AAB)

The main factors which are important to me are reputation with employers, social life and just how you regard the uni as a whole :smile:

Thanks!!

Scroll to see replies

Durham firm, Notts insurance.

Rep with employers. They're all good, can get you to the top firms.

Social life -- I mean, that is difficult to answer. Exeter is a small city which is really a town, and Durham is even smaller (but Durham has colleges which provides a lot of your social life). But you can be as social as you like wherever you go. Newcastle is the bigger party citaaah. Regard the unis -- all pretty decent.

Why I'd pick Durham is that it has the most rigorous academic experience because it has the brighter students. Notts next. Durham also gets a lot of attention from firms, has a lot of people making it to firms and being proactive around you -- so your path is a little smoother as you can replicate what your peers are doing, but you can get there with any as they are all extensively visited by the top firms and have proactive kiddos.

You have to think about missing your offer by a coupla grades, AAB. Would Notts necessarily take you and where else would you go? Bearing in mind if you get AAA, i.e. Notts' offer, Durham might still take you. So maybe the other three might be better as insurance, as they're all really gonna take many AAB students on results day. This should impact your decision depending on how confident you are in meeting your offer.
(edited 5 years ago)
I studied Law at Notts, so if you have any in depth questions about the course or uni feel free to message me :smile:

In answer to your question, I'd probably put Durham first and then whichever out of Nottingham, York and Exeter that you liked most if you went on Open Days for your insurance.
Reply 3
Original post by phoebexoxo
Hi all,

I’ve finally heard back from all 5 unis I applied to and delighted to hear I’ve received offers from all 5 for law ☺️

The only issue is because there isn’t much discrepancy in terms of grades for them all, I’m really struggling to decide which to put as my firm and insurance choice and was wondering if anyone who was perhaps more knowledgeable could help?

My offers are from:

Durham (A*AA)
Nottingham (AAA)
Exeter (AAA (AAB firm)
York (AAA)
Newcastle (AAB)

The main factors which are important to me are reputation with employers, social life and just how you regard the uni as a whole :smile:

Thanks!!

Well done on your offers!
If you know who you want to get a training contract with work backwards - you can approach their recruitment team. Put the unis into a triangle Venn diagram for employability, uni experience and course content and see if one is in the middle intersection?

Also, for your insurance, you may want to consider their accommodation options if not held first - this can really impact on your uni experience!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Notoriety
Durham firm, Notts insurance.

Rep with employers. They're all good, can get you to the top firms.

Social life -- I mean, that is difficult to answer. Exeter is a small city which is really a town, and Durham is even smaller (but Durham has colleges which provides a lot of your social life). But you can be as social as you like wherever you go. Newcastle is the bigger party citaaah. Regard the unis -- all pretty decent.

Why I'd pick Durham is that it has the most rigorous academic experience because it has the brighter students. Notts next. Durham also gets a lot of attention from firms, has a lot of people making it to firms and being proactive around you -- so your path is a little smoother as you can replicate what your peers are doing, but you can get there with any as they are all extensively visited by the top firms and have proactive kiddos.

You have to think about missing your offer by a coupla grades, AAB. Would Notts necessarily take you and where else would you go? Bearing in mind if you get AAA, i.e. Notts' offer, Durham might still take you. So maybe the other three might be better as insurance, as they're all really gonna take many AAB students on results day. This should impact your decision depending on how confident you are in meeting your offer.

Thank you, that's really helpful. I think I am leaning more towards Durham as my firm for the reasons you stated but it is the insurance choice I am more conflicted about. While I would probably put Notts second, it may seem a better choice to put one which would likely be more flexible. Discounting Notts, which of the three would you put as an insurance? Also, are Durham and Nottingham similar in terms of prestige or is Durham generally regarded as superior? I say this as I may firm Nottingham purely because I really loved the feel of the campus but don't want to feel as if I'm missing an opportunity by snubbing Durham.Thanks!
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi all,

My offers are from:

Durham (A*AA)
Nottingham (AAA)
Exeter (AAA (AAB firm)
York (AAA)
Newcastle (AAB)

Thanks!!

Without doubt it should be between Durham and Nottingham - and obvs because Durham is higher offer - it would be firm. My son went to Nottingham and had a great time - I believe the Law department is very good
Reply 6
Thank you, that's really helpful :smile:

I haven't really thought that far ahead if I'm honest but what factors would you think about to weigh up? Any one you'd lean towards either?
Reply 7
Hi all,

My offers are from:

Durham (A*AA)
Nottingham (AAA)
Exeter (AAA (AAB firm)
York (AAA)
Newcastle (AAB)

Thanks!!

What GCSE grades did you get?
Don't go to Nottingham, you'll get stabbed.

Firm: Durham
Insurance: Exeter
Reply 9
Original post by s.m999
What GCSE grades did you get?

I got 7 A*s, 2 As and a B :smile:
Original post by ChemistryGuy1998

Don't go to Durham because you'll get trampled on outside a cocktail bar.

You can play this game all day long.
Reply 11
Original post by ChemistryGuy1998

Is that really likely? 😂 Crime rate isn’t really factoring in if I’m honest haha
Reply 12

Is the high crime rate in Nottingham really a concern?
Reply 13

And this may sound ridiculous but I liked Exeter because of the overall “posh” feel of the place and I believe it could be somewhere I’d fit in.
Is the high crime rate in Nottingham really a concern?

No
And this may sound ridiculous but I liked Exeter because of the overall “posh” feel of the place and I believe it could be somewhere I’d fit in.

It is fair enough. That's why it has so many posh people in the first place; because posh people see it's posh and decide to go (... after getting rejected by Oxbridge).
Reply 16
It is fair enough. That's why it has so many posh people in the first place; because posh people see it's posh and decide to go (... after getting rejected by Oxbridge).

I mean I initially thought Durham would be just as posh or more so than Exeter with the whole “rah” reputation but Durham didn’t seem to be posh or am
I wrong about this?
Well done on your clean sweep of offers.

Firm Durham (top notch law school, and a short hop to Newcastle if you fancy a city). Insurance Exeter (student experience is actually very good with many active societies and a lively social scene).

To which Durham college have you been assigned, by the way?
I mean I initially thought Durham would be just as posh or more so than Exeter with the whole “rah” reputation but Durham didn’t seem to be posh or am
I wrong about this?

Durham is posher than Exetah, from what I've seen. Did you speak to any students at Durham when you were there?
Reply 19
Original post by 学生の父
Well done on your clean sweep of offers.

Firm Durham (top notch law school, and a short hop to Newcastle if you fancy a city). Insurance Exeter (student experience is actually very good with many active societies and a lively social scene).

To which Durham college have you been assigned, by the way?

I’ve been assigned to Hatfield after initially applying to Josephine Butler so a bit disappointed by this.

Do you know anything about Hatfield?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending