The Student Room Group

2010 BTEC Nationals

Are universities interested in the 2010 BTEC National courses? Apparantly they won't be getting taught by the end of 2019 according to Pearson so I presume they've had their time, but the college near me offers them as the Level 3 extended diplomas. (I'm looking at doing the extended diploma in Creative Media Production - https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/BTEC-Nationals/Creative-Media-Production/2010/Specification/9781446934593_BTEC_90c_L3_CMediaProd_Iss3.pdf) If I do one of these older BTEC nationals, will I be in a good position to apply to university in 2021? Or will these 2010 BTECs be ignored by universities by then?

UPDATE: turns out my college is doing the 2016 BTECs anyway, just had to do some digging!
(edited 5 years ago)
I possess a BTEC National Certificate which is from the 2002 Specification (studied 2006 to 2008), and I have received Unconditional and Conditional Offers this year.

Just my opinion but, based upon the rule of precedence, I believe you shall be fine.
Original post by softwarefreak
I possess a BTEC National Certificate which is from the 2002 Specification (studied 2006 to 2008), and I have received Unconditional and Conditional Offers this year.

Just my opinion but, based upon the rule of precedence, I believe you shall be fine.

This is reassuring, but what qualifications did you have with the certificate? I'm worried that if I do an Extended Diploma in its last few years of running, I might lose out on university offers. :confused:
I possess:

10 GCSEs at A* to C,

BTEC National Certificate (as mentioned),

BTEC Extended Certificate.

Additionally I composed a strong, frank and completely honest Personal Statement regarding my motivations and intentions for the future.
My Reference was composed by my previous Manager, who I worked under for 5 consecutive years.

Qualifications are only one half of the equation, you also need to sell yourself to the university and make yourself stand out from the crowd.
I possess:

10 GCSEs at A* to C,

BTEC National Certificate (as mentioned),

BTEC Extended Certificate.

Additionally I composed a strong, frank and completely honest Personal Statement regarding my motivations and intentions for the future.
My Reference was composed by my previous Manager, who I worked under for 5 consecutive years.

Qualifications are only one half of the equation, you also need to sell yourself to the university and make yourself stand out from the crowd.

oh so rather than having 1 long btec worth 3 a levels, you've got 1 worth 1 a level and 1 worth 2 a levels? guess we're in a similar boat then, your response is reassuring. thank you :smile:

i want to go to southampton to do ba (hons) game design and art! it's the only game design course in the russell group and it looks good, i really want to get in.
Indeed - For the most part the requisite UCAS Tariff helps universities to filter candidates for academic compatibility, thereafter it is the responsibility of the prospective student to state why they should be chosen instead of other equally qualified candidates.
At a glance, your chosen BTEC shall likely hold greater subject relevancy than the average "pick 'n mix" of A-Level subjects.

Finally, the university is more likely to judge you on your final grade within the course and, "UK applicants are recruited through presentation of a relevant portfolio of their work at interview......" - which your chosen BTEC shall most certainly enable you to create.

Good luck! :top:
Indeed - For the most part the requisite UCAS Tariff helps universities to filter candidates for academic compatibility, thereafter it is the responsibility of the prospective student to state why they should be chosen instead of other equally qualified candidates.
At a glance, your chosen BTEC shall likely hold greater subject relevancy than the average "pick 'n mix" of A-Level subjects.

Finally, the university is more likely to judge you on your final grade within the course and, "UK applicants are recruited through presentation of a relevant portfolio of their work at interview......" - which your chosen BTEC shall most certainly enable you to create.

Good luck! :top:

thanks for the advice really appreciate it - i felt a bit shaky about this prior but i'm doing the game development path of the extended diploma so the modules should set me up with a portfolio for uni! :u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending