The Student Room Group

My first British passport

Hello everyone , very new to this . I’m currently wanting to get my first passport .
I’m 25 year old
Born in the Uk

Father was born in the uk and never left and also grandparents.

Mother was born in China and moved her when she was 9 and moved here permanently in 1977.

Having trouble with getting it and it’s so confusing .

Does anyone know how they can help me because I need to apply for British citezinship because apparently i don’t have that .
I’ve worked here for 7 years , I have a national insurance number , full birth certificate etc.

Just confusing and baffling my head . I don’t know what to do and I’m wanting o travel to New York in 2020. Hope you can help thanks
Original post by Kirkwilkinson
Hello everyone , very new to this . I’m currently wanting to get my first passport .
I’m 25 year old
Born in the Uk

Father was born in the uk and never left and also grandparents.

Mother was born in China and moved her when she was 9 and moved here permanently in 1977.

Having trouble with getting it and it’s so confusing .

Does anyone know how they can help me because I need to apply for British citezinship because apparently i don’t have that .
I’ve worked here for 7 years , I have a national insurance number , full birth certificate etc.

Just confusing and baffling my head . I don’t know what to do and I’m wanting o travel to New York in 2020. Hope you can help thanks

Under the British Nationality Act 1981 you are a British Citizen, since you were born here, as was your father.

Just apply for your passport using your Birth Certificate in the usual way. Why are you having problems?
I tried my best to apply and they said I need proof my mother was settled in the uk at my time of birth. So I sent the passport office a new email yesterday and they replied with I have 2 options . Acquire proof that your Mother had settled status before you were born, if she was granted Indefinite leave to remain, Indefinite leave to enter or permanent residence we would require to see the original evidence of this.

2) See the following link for more information on how you can potentially apply for citizenship through your father being British but not married to mother: https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-british-parent/born-between-1983-and-2006. For further advice on this please contact the Home Office on 0300 123 2253.

I rang home office earlier and they said I’m not a British citezen and I have to apply to be a British citizen. I really don’t know
Original post by 学生の父
Under the British Nationality Act 1981 you are a British Citizen, since you were born here, as was your father.

Just apply for your passport using your Birth Certificate in the usual way. Why are you having problems?
I tried my best to apply and they said I need proof my mother was settled in the uk at my time of birth. So I sent the passport office a new email yesterday and they replied with I have 2 options . Acquire proof that your Mother had settled status before you were born, if she was granted Indefinite leave to remain, Indefinite leave to enter or permanent residence we would require to see the original evidence of this.

2) See the following link for more information on how you can potentially apply for citizenship through your father being British but not married to mother: https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-british-parent/born-between-1983-and-2006. For further advice on this please contact the Home Office on 0300 123 2253.

I rang home office earlier and they said I’m not a British citezen and I have to apply to be a British citizen. I really don’t know

The link you cited is for people born outwith the United Kingdom. You do not need to prove either that your mother had settled status or your father's citizenship (married or not).

If you were born in Britain after 1983, all you need is your birth certificate. Does it name your father?

If you have any more problems, ask your MP to take the matter up.
What's wrong going to the post office and getting a passport application form?
Original post by 学生の父
The link you cited is for people born outwith the United Kingdom. You do not need to prove either that your mother had settled status or your father's citizenship (married or not).

If you were born in Britain after 1983, all you need is your birth certificate. Does it name your father?

If you have any more problems, ask your MP to take the matter up.

Yes I have a full birth certificate with father and mothers name and also my fathers birth / death certificate showing we were all born in Middlesbrough/ UK obviously apart from my mother . I seem to be getting no where. I already lost my passport deposit last year because they confused me so much that I thought I really cba getting it . Now I want it again to travel next year and I’m having all the same problems . I thought I would be a British citizen tbf , how can they tell me I’m not .
Also my fathers birth certificate says his parents both whom lived in uk and never left
Yes I have a full birth certificate with father and mothers name and also my fathers birth / death certificate showing we were all born in Middlesbrough/ UK obviously apart from my mother . I seem to be getting no where. I already lost my passport deposit last year because they confused me so much that I thought I really cba getting it . Now I want it again to travel next year and I’m having all the same problems . I thought I would be a British citizen tbf , how can they tell me I’m not .

You were born in Middlesborough, your father was born in Middlesborough, you have the evidence that your father is your father. There is no doubt. You are British. I very much suspect that your mother very most probably was legally resident in Middlesborough at the time of your birth, as well.

Why on Earth are the Passport Office claiming that you are not British? If you are not British, then what are you?
I really don’t know 😂 I said to home office earlier so I’m 25 year old , lived here all my life, I work have a NI number , pay tax and I’m not a British citizen , she said yes.
My mothers mother has her birth certificate and passport and her whereabouts is unknown. She moved here when she was 7 and has been here since. But I wanted to go through my fathers side with it being easier with having his certificates but it seems helpless .
Maybe I can’t leave the uk , thanks for you help , it means a lot . They want me to do a British citizen application on the gov website , which is under visa and immigration and I think it’s an £80 fee . Also I’m suppose to go to the local council and have a ceremony is something to become a citizen.

I cba with it all , I wish it was as simple as just sending it off with my fathers certificates but it clearly isn’t
Original post by 学生の父
You were born in Middlesborough, your father was born in Middlesborough, you have the evidence that your father is your father. There is no doubt. You are British. I very much suspect that your mother very most probably was legally resident in Middlesborough at the time of your birth, as well.

Why on Earth are the Passport Office claiming that you are not British? If you are not British, then what are you?
I tried that they won’t accept it , they said I’m not a British citizen at birth .
Original post by Other_Owl
What's wrong going to the post office and getting a passport application form?
Did your mother have settled status at the time of your birth (right of abode or indefinite leave to remain)? Did your parents get married after your birth? Were you registered as British by the home office prior to your 18th birthday?

Perhaps you should consult an immigration lawyer to see if your British status can be regularised. You have no need to worry about living here, but as you say getting a passport is tricky for you.

This is a not entirely unrelated question, but do you know if you are entitled to Chinese citizenship by descent, by the way? If not, you would be stateless without British citizenship.
Yes my mother had the right to abode , no my parents where never married and I’m really unsure about being registered . I have 3 sisters and 1 brother and neither of us know what to do next . So all this information is helping , thank you so much.
Original post by 学生の父
Did your mother have settled status at the time of your birth (right of abode or indefinite leave to remain)? Did your parents get married after your birth? Were you registered as British by the home office prior to your 18th birthday?

Perhaps you should consult an immigration lawyer to see if your British status can be regularised. You have no need to worry about living here, but as you say getting a passport is tricky for you.

This is a not entirely unrelated question, but do you know if you are entitled to Chinese citizenship by descent, by the way? If not, you would be stateless without British citizenship.
Hire an immigration lawyer, this should be an easy case for them.

Note that the information you find on gov.uk or the information provided over the phone is not necessarily up to date (or has ever been correct at a certain point).
Okay thank you
Original post by Xanimede
Hire an immigration lawyer, this should be an easy case for them.

Note that the information you find on gov.uk or the information provided over the phone is not necessarily up to date (or has ever been correct at a certain point).
I’ve booked in for Tuesday to see a lawyer, thanks so much
Okay thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending