The Student Room Group

Revision help

Hello there,
I am in year 12 and I have recently completed my mocks at sixth form. I currently study sciences and maths at a level and my results have come back with poor grades for some subjects. It's looking like my grades will be BBCD.

I have two months to fix up but I need help with how I can do effective revision? I don't over-revise but I believe I am not revising more smartly. What can I do?

I have done lots of practice papers for each subject and I have marked them. I have also created some cue cards from school notes and I have done workbooks from CGP.

So now I don't understand where I am going wrong and I need some real advice...............
I didn’t study any sciences or maths - sociology, gov and pol, psych, and I got BCD mocks but got ABB, My revision saved me. I would just memorise things. Learn a part and call it back to myself whether it be like i am teaching myself out loud or writing up essay plans. I’m not sure how different it is for stem subjects but exams are just a memory game. Make the content stick in your head by constantly recalling it - research method of loci
Reply 2
But how do I remember so that it sticks in my head. I feel like after reviewing my cue cards and rereading revision guides I would forget after a few days and I have to repeat the process so it becomes a bit tiring.

I was wondering also where I might be able to get better cue/flash cards for my subjects as my own are not really working. I heard about method of loci but I feel like it won't work for me.
Original post by graceelle
I didn’t study any sciences or maths - sociology, gov and pol, psych, and I got BCD mocks but got ABB, My revision saved me. I would just memorise things. Learn a part and call it back to myself whether it be like i am teaching myself out loud or writing up essay plans. I’m not sure how different it is for stem subjects but exams are just a memory game. Make the content stick in your head by constantly recalling it - research method of loci
You have to constantly repeat it back to yourself daily it gets tedious but that’s what I did. I memorised and so on monday then recalled on tuesday with my new learning and then recalled monday and tuesdays learning on wednesday then added new learning on wednesday and so on. It’s just based on the psychology the more you recall the more likely you are to remember as well as maybe singing it to yourself. You’re more likely to remember something as a song than as monotone words
Reply 4
Thanks
Original post by graceelle
You have to constantly repeat it back to yourself daily it gets tedious but that’s what I did. I memorised and so on monday then recalled on tuesday with my new learning and then recalled monday and tuesdays learning on wednesday then added new learning on wednesday and so on. It’s just based on the psychology the more you recall the more likely you are to remember as well as maybe singing it to yourself. You’re more likely to remember something as a song than as monotone words

Quick Reply

Latest