The Student Room Group

Islamophobic terrorist told followers to subscribe to Pewdiepie

Can we please admit that a side of video game culture might have a problem with racism and, dare I mention it, violence?

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/03/new-zealand-gunman-says-subscribe-to-pewdiepie-moments-before-livestreaming-shooting/
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Also lots of those racist memes like "remove kebab", some of which I've seen posted on TSR.

The shooter, by his own words was motivated by the same 'white people are being re4placesd' nonsense that people like Stephen Molenuex and Ben Shapero (both of whom Pewdiepie follows in Twitter) spread. It's the exact same ideology as the Quebec mosque shooter had, who was also a big fan of Shapero according to his browser history.
I also heard he drank tea.

Another big hit from the tea manufacturers peddling their anti-multiculturalist message.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
He also said Fortnite inspired him to kill.

Can we please admit that video game culture has a huge ****ing problem with racism and promoting pointless violence?

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/03/new-zealand-gunman-says-subscribe-to-pewdiepie-moments-before-livestreaming-shooting/

Do you have any evidence that video games are actually to blame?
Will you be banning video games now?
That they are racist?
He also mentions spyro the dragon apparently.
Original post by Notoriety
I also heard he drank tea.

Another big hit from the tea manufacturers peddling their anti-multiculturalist message.

I don't think such flippancy is warranted. We're talking about the deaths of dozens of innocent people...

When all the racists love something, you have to consider asking yourself why they do. When they start slaughtering people, it only becomes more important to confront this truth.
I don't think such flippancy is warranted. We're talking about the deaths of dozens of innocent people...

When all the racists love something, you have to consider asking yourself why they do. When they start slaughtering people, it only becomes more important to confront this truth.

He’s not discrediting the tragedy, he’s just attacking your idea, I don’t see a problem with that, video games don’t have anything to do with violent attacks, people make decisions, their own, we can’t go blaming things that have no relation when the root of the problem is in front of our eyes.
If some murderous sociopath said a PEGI 12+ video game and YouTube celebrity inspired him, you don't blame the video game and the YouTube celebrity. It's not like thousands of people are going out and doing the same thing.

It was his own nutty hatred and beliefs that led him to kill. You don't actually get that from things children watch. The Catcher in the Rye wasn't really to blame for John Hinckley Jr. doing what he did.
Also lots of those racist memes like "remove kebab", some of which I've seen posted on TSR.

The shooter, by his own words was motivated by the same 'white people are being re4placesd' nonsense that people like Stephen Molenuex and Ben Shapero (both of whom Pewdiepie follows in Twitter) spread. It's the exact same ideology as the Quebec mosque shooter had, who was also a big fan of Shapero according to his browser history.

what's wrong with Ben Shapiro? i've heard him speak a lot of sense.
Reply 8

You're not talking about the deaths of innocent people, you're talking about Pewdiepie and Fortnite. Personally I don't this kind of thread is appropriate just after such an awful tragedy.
Original post by Dandaman1
If some murderous sociopath said a PEGI 12+ video game and YouTube celebrity inspired him, you don't blame the video game and the YouTube celebrity. It's not like thousands of people are going out and doing the same thing.

It was his own nutty hatred and beliefs that led him to kill. You don't actually get that from things children watch. The Catcher in the Rye wasn't really to blame for John Hinckley Jr. doing what he did.

It's not video games per se. For example, nobody is saying candy crush turns people into monsters.

But video game culture is particularly focused around violent games. Such as fortnite, which the shooter himself referenced. Games that turn violence into, well, a game, dehumanizing opponents, rewarding them for killing... I am no psychologist, but perhaps this sort of thing has an effect on some people (who are maybe prone to blurring the lines between video games and reality) of rewiring their brains to associate killing with levelling up or something.
I want to like your posts but am unable to :|
He also said Fortnite inspired him to kill.

Can we please admit that video game culture has a huge ****ing problem with racism and promoting pointless violence?

Original post by 999tigger
Do you have any evidence that video games are actually to blame?
Will you be banning video games now?
That they are racist?
He also mentions spyro the dragon apparently.

Of course I don't have proof of that. The evidence is there in what the killer said.

Obviously it might well have happened without video games, since he was an extremist anyway. Video games probably didn't cause his racism etc., perhaps only amplified it. But since the killer seems to have been inspired in some way by video games, maybe we should take a bit of an uncomfortable look into that side of things.
Reply 12
It's not video games per se. For example, nobody is saying candy crush turns people into monsters.

But video game culture is particularly focused around violent games. Such as fortnite, which the shooter himself referenced. Games that turn violence into, well, a game, dehumanizing opponents, rewarding them for killing... I am no psychologist, but perhaps this sort of thing has an effect on some people (who are maybe prone to blurring the lines between video games and reality) of rewiring their brains to associate killing with levelling up or something.

Yes it’s clear you’re no psychologist. There have been countless studies on video games and violence and none have found a correlation. Playing fortnite obviously, clearly, does not cause somebody to massacre Muslims at a mosque. What nonsense.
Original post by bloomer36
what's wrong with Ben Shapiro? i've heard him speak a lot of sense.

Why do you think that recent terror attacks have been by fans of his? Rather than, say, fans of Slavoj Zizek?

There is zero evidence of this. The prevalence of violent video games and violent crime aren't even correlated. Not even remotely.

The notion that violence-themed entertainment causes real world violence has been around for decades, but nothing has actually been produced that links the two.
Original post by BenK64
Yes it’s clear you’re no psychologist. There have been countless studies on video games and violence and none have found a correlation. Playing fortnite obviously, clearly, does not cause somebody to massacre Muslims at a mosque. What nonsense.

What studies? On video games in general, or the violent video games in particular?

There have been cases of people doing extraordinary things due to video games, such as a young girl sitting in her own urine because she didn't want to pause the game to go to the toilet.
(Original post by Dandaman1)There is zero evidence of this. The prevalence of violent video games and violent crime aren't even correlated. Not even remotely.

The notion that violence-themed entertainment causes real world violence has been around for decades, but nothing has actually been produced that links the two.

False. Recent studies have indeed shown some links. Nobody is saying if you play video games you turn violent, but that some people are indeed inspired by violence in video games.

https://usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2018/10/01/violent-video-games-tie-physical-aggression-confirmed-study/1486188002/
http://fortune.com/2018/10/02/violent-video-games-study/
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/yes-violent-video-games-trigger-aggression-but-debate-lingers/
Reply 17
What studies? On video games in general, or the violent video games in particular?

There have been cases of people doing extraordinary things due to video games, such as a young girl sitting in her own urine because she didn't want to pause the game to go to the toilet.

On violent video games. http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2019-02-13-violent-video-games-found-not-be-associated-adolescent-aggression#

This is just one recent study of countless many studies that have been done before. There is 0 evidence of a link.

The case of the girl is to do with addiction. Which is obviously not unique to video games. If anything is much less common with video games.
Why do you think that recent terror attacks have been by fans of his? Rather than, say, fans of Slavoj Zizek?

Someone's fans don't reflect who they are. Really a narrow-minded thing to think. E.g. Jordan Peterson, a fantastic lecturer and psychologist has a lot of fans that don't reflect what he stands for, but they love him, each for their own reasons. He often gets in trouble for their behaviour and says he doesn't condone some of the irresponsible things they do.
Original post by Notnek
You're not talking about the deaths of innocent people, you're talking about Pewdiepie and Fortnite. Personally I don't this kind of thread is appropriate just after such an awful tragedy.

Relevant because its in the thread title.
It is about the perpetrator.
It was included in the manifesto.

Oh I see its been moved.
Discussion of the terrorist and his motivation would seem relevant on a breaking news story though.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending