The Student Room Group

GAMSAT or A Level Chemistry?

I'm looking at applying to study Medicine after completing my non-science degree and basically think I have to choose between doing the GAMSAT or doing A Level Chemistry. What do you think would be easiest? GAMSAT seems pretty daunting since it's all science up to first year undergrad level but with A Level Chem it's pretty straight forward in that I can just pay to do it as a distance-learner.
Original post by kljkhj
I'm looking at applying to study Medicine after completing my non-science degree and basically think I have to choose between doing the GAMSAT or doing A Level Chemistry. What do you think would be easiest? GAMSAT seems pretty daunting since it's all science up to first year undergrad level but with A Level Chem it's pretty straight forward in that I can just pay to do it as a distance-learner.

It really depends on what plays to your strengths, so what is 'easier' for you personally. Also don't forget that if you don't take the GAMSAT, you will still need to do really well in the UCAT to get an interview as all the universities that accept non-science degrees and don't need the GAMSAT look at the UCAT (with the exception of Cambridge).

Don't forget that if you choose Chemistry, you will probably have to pass the practical endorsement element - you should check with the universities you are thinking of applying to. The A-level overall is more expensive and more based on learning stuff. Therefore if you are good at remembering stuff it might be easier to get a top mark in the A-level than in the GAMSAT - you know exactly what you are going to be examined on.

The GAMSAT has more content, but you don't actually have to remember any of it, you just need to understand it. Also the GAMSAT is not just science - if you're particularly good at essay writing or reading comprehension then that will boost your mark. If you can write essays and analyse text well, and you are good at problem solving, then it may be 'easier' to get a good mark in the GAMSAT than in the A-level.

I chose to do the GAMSAT, mostly because of the cost of the A-level with practical endorsement, but I did find it suited me too.
Reply 2
Original post by jzdzm
It really depends on what plays to your strengths, so what is 'easier' for you personally. Also don't forget that if you don't take the GAMSAT, you will still need to do really well in the UCAT to get an interview as all the universities that accept non-science degrees and don't need the GAMSAT look at the UCAT (with the exception of Cambridge).

Don't forget that if you choose Chemistry, you will probably have to pass the practical endorsement element - you should check with the universities you are thinking of applying to. The A-level overall is more expensive and more based on learning stuff. Therefore if you are good at remembering stuff it might be easier to get a top mark in the A-level than in the GAMSAT - you know exactly what you are going to be examined on.

The GAMSAT has more content, but you don't actually have to remember any of it, you just need to understand it. Also the GAMSAT is not just science - if you're particularly good at essay writing or reading comprehension then that will boost your mark. If you can write essays and analyse text well, and you are good at problem solving, then it may be 'easier' to get a good mark in the GAMSAT than in the A-level.

I chose to do the GAMSAT, mostly because of the cost of the A-level with practical endorsement, but I did find it suited me too.

Did you do science A-Levels/a science degree before doing the GAMSAT?
Original post by kljkhj
Did you do science A-Levels/a science degree before doing the GAMSAT?

I did A-levels in Biology and Maths (a long time ago). My degree was completely unrelated.
Original post by jzdzm
I did A-levels in Biology and Maths (a long time ago). My degree was completely unrelated.

Hi,
ask NEC about our online learning A level Chemistry, if that's the route you choose. You can start now and complete with summer 2020 exams. We have venues for the practical endorsement and exams. Pay by card or 0% finance. You’ll have a personal tutor who will answer questions and mark your assignments and you'll get comprehensive feedback to help you to track your progress. You can message and they will respond within 48 hours, including by phone. Call us on 0800 3892839.
Daniel
Hi,
ask NEC about our online learning A level Chemistry, if that's the route you choose. You can start now and complete with summer 2020 exams. We have venues for the practical endorsement and exams. Pay by card or 0% finance. You’ll have a personal tutor who will answer questions and mark your assignments and you'll get comprehensive feedback to help you to track your progress. You can message and they will respond within 48 hours, including by phone. Call us on 0800 3892839.
Daniel
Original post by kljkhj

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending