The Student Room Group

Home Office quotes Bible verses to prove Christianity is not a religion of peace

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wired_1800
So you take New Testament literally, but don't take Old Testament literally?

Almost all fundamentalist christians are new testament biblical literalists but take a different approach when it comes to content from the hebrew bible.
Many of the new covenant crowd who embrace biblical inerrancy and infallibility do the same.
Oh dear that's pretty hilarious :rofl3:
Original post by londonmyst
Almost all fundamentalist christians are new testament biblical literalists but take a different approach when it comes to content from the hebrew bible.
Many of the new covenant crowd who embrace biblical inerrancy and infallibility do the same.

The Old Testament is not only in the Hebrew Bible but also in the Christian Bible. It is silly to ignore a large part of the Bible. Many people like to pick and choose what they believe in. It helps to alleviate the worry that they follow a dangerous belief system.
Original post by Leviathan1611
i think they are.

They are silly
The Old Testament is not only in the Hebrew Bible but also in the Christian Bible. It is silly to ignore a large part of the Bible. Many people like to pick and choose what they believe in. It helps to alleviate the worry that they follow a dangerous belief system.

old testament is practically around 75% of the whole Bible, so it's a very large part.
old testament is practically around 75% of the whole Bible, so it's a very large part.

Exactly. It is funny how many “Christians” bash other religions or claim they are the good religion, when their own Holy Book contains similar violent language. I think many are casual christians and are unware of what they believe. If they did, we will still be back in 1264 AD.

By pick and choose I think you mean fundamentally change what 'Christianity' is The mouthpeice of pretty much all denominations of Christians (especially the larger ones) are very liberal and either condemn or refuse to follow and preach a large amount of the bible that they deem outdated.
Yeh because it’s definetly built on the foundations of peace.

Spoiler

Most sane people do adopt a selective approach to religion in order to filter out the active influence of violent invective present within religious scripture and avoid a fire&brimstone mentality that emphasizes rigorous compliance with a very long list of ancient thou shalt nots.
These steps are necessary in order to live in a modern multicultural society based upon religious pluralism and harmonious coexistence.

The problem comes when people demonstrate a tendency to pick & choose only the most harsh and unpleasant bible quotes, whilst ignoring all bible content that teach mercy, love and redemption.
Fundamentalists, religious hardliners and ultra conservatives of all different religions often have an appetite exclusively for religious scripture verses/ religious traditions pertaining to violent punishments or insulting other people/religious groups.
But no interest at all in any of the verses that advocate kindness, helping others or forgiveness.

I have examples of it in my own family tree.
My mother came from an ultra-traditionalist catholic family that rejected the vatican ii reforms.
She was brought up by parents and a paternal grandmother who taught her that medieval religion is holy, the guy fawkes group were all heroes and the modern world is evil.
In 1960s England.
My maternal grandmother is a religious fanatic in her 80s who habitually spews toxic nonsense and rants the most vile, aggressive verses the bible contains.
She's been behaving this way for over 60 years, ever since she married into ultra traditionalist catholicism as a teenager.
Her husband and his mother were a lot worse; they added an extreme degree of violence to dark age religion and a virulent xenophobic hatred for the rest of the world.
Exactly. It is funny how many “Christians” bash other religions or claim they are the good religion, when their own Holy Book contains similar violent language. I think many are casual christians and are unware of what they believe. If they did, we will still be back in 1264 AD.

I call them community church Christians. if you're gonna call yourself Christian, believe the whole Bible and stop cherry picking and disagreeing with it all the time acting like you know better than the God who made you as if it's optional.

yes I think they are unaware, they have this idea that God loves everyone, and not hate, no judging, some will even dare to say that Christ Jesus said "hate the sin love the sinner" (it was ghandi who said that). the majority of them haven't even read their Bible cover to cover yet they wanna school you on what the Bible 'really' says.
Original post by AperfectBalance
By pick and choose I think you mean fundamentally change what 'Christianity' is The mouthpeice of pretty much all denominations of Christians (especially the larger ones) are very liberal and either condemn or refuse to follow and preach a large amount of the bible that they deem outdated.

Yes, you cannot fundamentally change the Bible and still claim to be Christian.
I call them community church Christians. if you're gonna call yourself Christian, believe the whole Bible and stop cherry picking and disagreeing with it all the time acting like you know better than the God who made you as if it's optional.

yes I think they are unaware, they have this idea that God loves everyone, and not hate, no judging, some will even dare to say that Christ Jesus said "hate the sin love the sinner" (it was ghandi who said that). the majority of them haven't even read their Bible cover to cover yet they wanna school you on what the Bible 'really' says.

I definitely agree. I think it is one area, where we see apparent ignorance.
Most sane people do adopt a selective approach to religion in order to filter out the active influence of violent invective present within religious scripture and avoid a fire&brimstone mentality that emphasizes rigorous compliance with a very long list of ancient thou shalt nots.
These steps are necessary in order to live in a modern multicultural society based upon religious pluralism and harmonious coexistence.

The problem comes when people demonstrate a tendency to pick & choose only the most harsh and unpleasant bible quotes, whilst ignoring all bible content that teach mercy, love and redemption.
Fundamentalists, religious hardliners and ultra conservatives of all different religions often have an appetite exclusively for religious scripture verses/ religious traditions pertaining to violent punishments or insulting other people/religious groups.
But no interest at all in any of the verses that advocate kindness, helping others or forgiveness.

I have examples of it in my own family tree.
My mother came from an ultra-traditionalist catholic family that rejected the vatican ii reforms.
She was brought up by parents and a paternal grandmother who taught her that medieval religion is holy, the guy fawkes group were all heroes and the modern world is evil.
In 1960s England.
My maternal grandmother is a religious fanatic in her 80s who habitually spews toxic nonsense and rants the most vile, aggressive verses the bible contains.
She's been behaving this way for over 60 years, ever since she married into ultra traditionalist catholicism as a teenager.
Her husband and his mother were a lot worse; they added an extreme degree of violence to dark age religion and a virulent xenophobic hatred for the rest of the world.

True. There should be an acceptance and recognition of all parts of the Bible. You cannot state that the Bible preaches love and kindness, but refuse to acknowledge that it is also against homosexuality and God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah for their immoral acts.

I think when people appreciate the extremities in the Bible, then we can see true progress. Some people bash other religions like Judaism and Islam for being “barbaric” religions, even though many of them are progressive Jews and Muslims. Yet, they beat their chests and call themselves “good christians”.
True. There should be an acceptance and recognition of all parts of the Bible. You cannot state that the Bible preaches love and kindness, but refuse to acknowledge that it is also against homosexuality and God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah for their immoral acts.

I think when people appreciate the extremities in the Bible, then we can see true progress. Some people bash other religions like Judaism and Islam for being “barbaric” religions, even though many of them are progressive Jews and Muslims. Yet, they beat their chests and call themselves “good christians”.

There is a lot of focus on all those points in undergrad theology and medieval history.
A level religious studies/history and school pshe cover a lot too.
These issues are not only applicable to the abrahamic religions, they apply to all religions.
Sadly every group will contain some bad apples: horrid trouble makers, fanatics, thugs, liars, vicious hypocrites and braggers.

The fundamentalist approach to any aspect of dogma tends to lead to mayhem- whether its religion, politics, militant atheism, scientism or free speech.
For the simple reason that fundamentalists are absolutist dogma zealots, so fanatically committed to their ideology that they believe it always holds all the answers and can never be wrong or diverted from.

I've crossed paths with a variety of religious fundamentalists: scientologists/mormons/jehovah's witnesses, sedevacantists (fundamentalist catholics), khalistanis (fundamentalist sikhs), rashtra supporting fundamentalist hindus.
At the end of the day, the fundamentalist approach to religion is just one of many possible interpretations of religion- one that tends to have a relatively small support base.
Many other approaches to religion exist; liberal, reform, conservative, orthodox/traditionalist, ultra traditionalist- as well as fundamentalist.
I'm a lazy catholic and my best friend is a follower of the liberal shia islamic sect led by the aga khan.
There is a lot of focus on all those points in undergrad theology and medieval history.
A level religious studies/history and school pshe cover a lot too.
These issues are not only applicable to the abrahamic religions, they apply to all religions.
Sadly every group will contain some bad apples: horrid trouble makers, fanatics, thugs, liars, vicious hypocrites and braggers.

The fundamentalist approach to any aspect of dogma tends to lead to mayhem- whether its religion, politics, militant atheism, scientism or free speech.
For the simple reason that fundamentalists are absolutist dogma zealots, so fanatically committed to their ideology that they believe it always holds all the answers and can never be wrong or diverted from.

I've crossed paths with a variety of religious fundamentalists: scientologists/mormons/jehovah's witnesses, sedevacantists (fundamentalist catholics), khalistanis (fundamentalist sikhs), rashtra supporting fundamentalist hindus.
At the end of the day, the fundamentalist approach to religion is just one of many possible interpretations of religion- one that tends to have a relatively small support base.
Many other approaches to religion exist; liberal, reform, conservative, orthodox/traditionalist, ultra traditionalist- as well as fundamentalist.
I'm a lazy catholic and my best friend is a follower of the liberal shia islamic sect led by the aga khan.

This post was interesting to read. Do you still believe in the Catholic doctrine to call yourself a Catholic?

Do you think there should be a move to one global religion?

PRSOM.
Christianity today is based on the New Testament. we are guided by the love of the Son of God who gave His life for us.
all of the Bronze Age tribal gangsterism is kept in the cupboard.
I may be wrong but somehow I don't think a home office letter telling a Muslim that Islam isn't the religion of peace and and listing some of the dozens of calls to violence in its passages as proof, to turn down the asylum application would have gone out.
Or rather if it had it would have been the shortest resignation letter in history. 😱

They cherry pick the bible which is hypocritical however there is a reason they do it.And that's simply because if they didn't then they'd end up condoning things that most people think are wrong.Which says a lot really.Clearly most people have a sense of morality which is stronger than gods own.
Original post by AJ126
They cherry pick the bible which is hypocritical however there is a reason they do it.And that's simply because if they didn't then they'd end up condoning things that most people think are wrong.Which says a lot really.Clearly most people have a sense of morality which is stronger than gods own.

the reason they cherry pick is because 1) they want to enjoy their sin without guilt or 2) they're spiritually weak in the sense that they're to afraid to endure people attacking them and mocking them. they'd rather have the world's approval that God's approval.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending