The Student Room Group

How many quotes are needed in an English Lit GCSE essay?

Does anyone know how many quotes are needed per essay? im really struggling with my essay writing as i was told three quotes per essay (which seems reasonable) but i dont always have the time in exams to analyse three. My problem is im working at level 9 and i know i have the knowlegde to achieve it, all thats letting me down is the fact i have too much to write! I can write a full essay on one quote, my average would be about 2 paragraphs per quote as i use 3-5 alternative interpretations per one. My teachers have told me all that i write is relavent and good, however it is at the sacrafice of showing i understand the text using quotes. What do i do?!
I have the exact same problem!
It takes practice however I now write approximately 4 - 5 main quotations in my essays - each quotation as a means of analysis for every paragraph and each focusing on a different attitude / point in development of a character etc depending on the subject of the question. Then, throughout the essay, I embed random quotations which may link to a point that I am saying, however I do not analyse them in much detail. These small, embedded quotations can be used to illustrate your alternative interpretation, for example.
Hope this helps!
There isn’t an exact amount but I think that focusing on the same quote for more than one paragraph is a bit excessive. You seem to be spending too much time on the same point. Also you can use one- or two-word quotes while analysing another to help support your point.
Reply 3
Original post by studyingpeach
I have the exact same problem!
It takes practice however I now write approximately 4 - 5 main quotations in my essays - each quotation as a means of analysis for every paragraph and each focusing on a different attitude / point in development of a character etc depending on the subject of the question. Then, throughout the essay, I embed random quotations which may link to a point that I am saying, however I do not analyse them in much detail. These small, embedded quotations can be used to illustrate your alternative interpretation, for example.
Hope this helps!

wow 4-5! do you do quite small paragraphs then or do you just write very quickly?! im struggling as im a very slow writer and I have accepted I have to forfeit either in depth analysis or multiple quote analysis. do you have an idea or a suggestion on what I should do? thanks for your help though :smile:
Original post by Rach128
wow 4-5! do you do quite small paragraphs then or do you just write very quickly?! im struggling as im a very slow writer and I have accepted I have to forfeit either in depth analysis or multiple quote analysis. do you have an idea or a suggestion on what I should do? thanks for your help though :smile:

I am quite a fast writer - especially in questions that I am more confident on, such as poetry for example so I get more time to focus on the questions which require a lot more thought. In terms of your dilemma, I would recommend that you do an in-depth analysis of the quotation and then only give one alternative interpretation for the quotation. It can be something very complex and original or it can just be about how different audiences / readers would interpret it (eg a contemporary vs modern audience for the Shakespeare play). This should buy you enough time to make another in-depth point as well.
Reply 5
Original post by studyingpeach
I am quite a fast writer - especially in questions that I am more confident on, such as poetry for example so I get more time to focus on the questions which require a lot more thought. In terms of your dilemma, I would recommend that you do an in-depth analysis of the quotation and then only give one alternative interpretation for the quotation. It can be something very complex and original or it can just be about how different audiences / readers would interpret it (eg a contemporary vs modern audience for the Shakespeare play). This should buy you enough time to make another in-depth point as well.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help :smile:
Reply 6
For the essay question we are taught intro, 4 key events ( a paragraph each ) and a conclusion. About 2-3 quotes per paragraph but not an extended analysis on the quotes like we did for the controlled assessments, xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending