The Student Room Group

how to become motivated

So I'm seeing a lot of threads about how to become motivated with exams coming up. I struggled with this. First you've got to think about why you are completing these exams. Even if you don't particularly feel as though you need those subjects that you're completing, the grades will become useful. It's all about opportunities, the better you do at these exams the better and more opportunities you will have. It's pretty much linear, the grades directly affect your opportunities.

At this point you may be thinking "I'm not good at my subject" or "I'm not clever enough". Honestly that doesn't matter. The most successful people in this world are never the most 'naturally' smartest, they are the hardest working. Hard work always pays off, no matter what. My sister told me this story about how a girl in her class at uni was very smart but didn't apply herself, while my sister was not naturally that smart at the subject. My sister ended up getting a first while the other girl dropped out. My sister is the hardest working person I know and was able to be successful because of this attribute.

You've also got to remember hard work is an attribute anyone can have, you're not born with it. Why waste your time doing studying this subject if you are unable to put the work in to get the grade you want. You will fail at points, but what separates the people that drop out and the people that continue are the people who are able to persevere. Don't think about whether you will fail, if you tell yourself enough times you will succeed it will happen. Don't just aim to get a C also aim high. Aim for an A or an A*. Even if you don't reach this level you will get a B, which is better than if you aim for a C and then limit yourself to that. If anyone needs any further motivation message me.
quick bump for those who need it
some days im motivated. others im not

im constantly changing my aspirational gcse grades on my phone depending on my moods
Original post by I'mComingOxford
some days im motivated. others im not

im constantly changing my aspirational gcse grades on my phone depending on my moods

try to keep it the same and keep pushing. If you change your targets, it means you are changing them based on your mood not your ability. Therefore you should know you can do better and reach the already set grades. That should motivate you
Original post by Prussianxo
So I'm seeing a lot of threads about how to become motivated with exams coming up. I struggled with this. First you've got to think about why you are completing these exams. Even if you don't particularly feel as though you need those subjects that you're completing, the grades will become useful. It's all about opportunities, the better you do at these exams the better and more opportunities you will have. It's pretty much linear, the grades directly affect your opportunities.

At this point you may be thinking "I'm not good at my subject" or "I'm not clever enough". Honestly that doesn't matter. The most successful people in this world are never the most 'naturally' smartest, they are the hardest working. Hard work always pays off, no matter what. My sister told me this story about how a girl in her class at uni was very smart but didn't apply herself, while my sister was not naturally that smart at the subject. My sister ended up getting a first while the other girl dropped out. My sister is the hardest working person I know and was able to be successful because of this attribute.

You've also got to remember hard work is an attribute anyone can have, you're not born with it. Why waste your time doing studying this subject if you are unable to put the work in to get the grade you want. You will fail at points, but what separates the people that drop out and the people that continue are the people who are able to persevere. Don't think about whether you will fail, if you tell yourself enough times you will succeed it will happen. Don't just aim to get a C also aim high. Aim for an A or an A*. Even if you don't reach this level you will get a B, which is better than if you aim for a C and then limit yourself to that. If anyone needs any further motivation message me.

What if your too late to aim high?
Original post by 1102ha11
What if your too late to aim high?

you're never too late. hard work surpasses time.
Great advice! Try not to compare yourself to others, as this may be what is making you feel like you are too late to aim high. You might surprise yourself with what you can achieve in a short amount of time!

Our students recommend creating a revision playlist, to help you get into a motivated frame of mind. Starting with something you find really interesting, is also a good idea, as it will help ease you into more difficult tasks.

Good luck! :h:

you're never too late. hard work surpasses time.
Original post by Birmingham City University
Great advice! Try not to compare yourself to others, as this may be what is making you feel like you are too late to aim high. You might surprise yourself with what you can achieve in a short amount of time!

Our students recommend creating a revision playlist, to help you get into a motivated frame of mind. Starting with something you find really interesting, is also a good idea, as it will help ease you into more difficult tasks.

Good luck! :h:

Definitely, comparisons demotivates you
Great thread! Super dope!!!

Original post by lostplot
Great thread! Super dope!!!

thank you. I appreciate it
@An02
hope you find it useful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending