The Student Room Group

WTF do I DO with my life????

I dropped out of university twice. technically I'm still registered with the OU but I haven't completed any assignments for my module this year.
I have a Higher Education Diploma in Psychology and Sociology from my last university. But even with the credit transfer it will still take me 8 YEARS to complete my degree at the rate that I'm going, if I even finish it at all which is unlikely now. Frankly the idea of sitting down and doing an assignment makes me feel ill and I feel I can no longer do it.
I thought about changing my subject entirely but I doubt if Student Finance will give me another loan. I'm interested in Anthropology and Brunel University was impressive when I went on their Open Day many years ago, they are ranked 4th in their subject. But I don't feel I am cut out for the academic world.
I've been ill for many years now, both mentally and physically, and I just feel so lost.
:frown:
I'm so depressed. I always thought I'd have a degree one day, now that looks unlikely and everything feels impossible/ too difficult.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I feel like a massive failure.
Degrees aren’t the only way to be successful. There are plenty of other ways to be successful not matter what people say, some of the smartest people I know have never taken a degree. It is a prestigious measure of success. You could look into some other options if you’re unsure you want to stay at university. 8 years does seem like a while- if it was me, I would rather be getting on with my life and starting work, that would make you quite old to be starting your first full time job in 8 years time.
Reply 3
What else could I do?? I'm not qualified for anything except to work behind the till, and I"m 27.
Original post by georgie27_16
Degrees aren’t the only way to be successful. There are plenty of other ways to be successful not matter what people say, some of the smartest people I know have never taken a degree. It is a prestigious measure of success. You could look into some other options if you’re unsure you want to stay at university. 8 years does seem like a while- if it was me, I would rather be getting on with my life and starting work, that would make you quite old to be starting your first full time job in 8 years time.
Reply 4
I see a lot of admin jobs that I think sound feasible for me, but then they list a bachelors' degree as a requirement. They don't even specify which, they just want someone with a degree. Without a degree I'll always be doing retail jobs. It's depressing.
Yep you're stuck to retail jobs, go knuckle down and get a degree pal
Reply 6
how though?? student finance won't fund me for another 8 years.
Original post by ChemistryGuy1998
Yep you're stuck to retail jobs, go knuckle down and get a degree pal
Maybe if you start in a job and work really well you could get promoted and eventually be a manager or something
Reply 8
Original post by georgie27_16
Maybe if you start in a job and work really well you could get promoted and eventually be a manager or something

all the shop managers I have met are stuck up grumpy miserable *****es :frown: I don't wanna end up like them.
Fair point
Original post by Anonymous
all the shop managers I have met are stuck up grumpy miserable *****es :frown: I don't wanna end up like them.
...well this has been helpful
/

You're bloody trying very hard to end much worse than them.

I have a Higher Education Diploma in Psychology and Sociology from my last university. But even with the credit transfer it will still take me 8 YEARS to complete my degree at the rate that I'm going, if I even finish it at all which is unlikely now

You have almost doomed yourself already when you chose a subject there is no market demand for. Stop wasting your time.

I thought about changing my subject entirely but I doubt if Student Finance will give me another loan. I'm interested in Anthropology and Brunel University was impressive when I went on their Open Day many years ago, they are ranked 4th in their subject. But I don't feel I am cut out for the academic world.

An who would pay you for your interest in Anthropology?! Unless you are one of a very few, lucky, chosen ones, you are never going to make your living out of anything that is not physical work, engineering or related to mathematics.

I've been ill for many years now, both mentally and physically, and I just feel so lost.
:frown:
I'm so depressed. I always thought I'd have a degree one day, now that looks unlikely and everything feels impossible/ too difficult.

Me too. But I have the impossible dreams behind me. Heal yourself, then look for some sensible route. There are many nice jobs that pay pretty well and leave you enough time to do things that interest you, after work. Another option is to degree somewhere else. Degrees in Poland for example are dirt cheap for British standards, and you can earn pretty decent money teaching English out there (while studying).
Original post by PTMalewski
You're bloody trying very hard to end much worse than them.

You have almost doomed yourself already when you chose a subject there is no market demand for. Stop wasting your time.

An who would pay you for your interest in Anthropology?! Unless you are one of a very few, lucky, chosen ones, you are never going to make your living out of anything that is not physical work, engineering or related to mathematics.

Me too. But I have the impossible dreams behind me. Heal yourself, then look for some sensible route. There are many nice jobs that pay pretty well and leave you enough time to do things that interest you, after work. Another option is to degree somewhere else. Degrees in Poland for example are dirt cheap for British standards, and you can earn pretty decent money teaching English out there (while studying).

So what exactly are you suggesting I should do? I cant do maths, engineering or physical work. Why do you seem to think that those are the only options? Are you the same user who is telling everyone not to bother with degrees that you deem useless?
Looks like you've messed up a bit huh. The degree you've chosen to do doesnt have many job prospects so maybe just scrap that whole idea and try to get an apprenticeship of some sort but im not sure anyone will take you on because of youre age. Good luck for the future
Looks like you've messed up a bit huh. The degree you've chosen to do doesnt have many job prospects so maybe just scrap that whole idea and try to get an apprenticeship of some sort but im not sure anyone will take you on because of youre age. Good luck for the future

Like you said im not eligible for an apprenticeship.

Why do you seem to think that those are the only options?

Because the laws of economy will not change just for your convenience.

Are you the same user who is telling everyone not to bother with degrees that you deem useless?

I don't know who you're talking about.
University degrees are not useless. They just don't help you earning any money unless they are the engineering or math-related ones.

I cant do maths

I used to think I can't. Then I discovered it was all about crappy teachers. When you do maths, you have to understand what are you trying to do, and try to figure out how to it, instead of memmorising procedures.

, engineering

Engineering doesn't have that much mathematics.

or physical work.

There are many different physical works that differ a lot.
Finishing yahts with wood or making jewelerry doesn't need much strenght or stamina. You just have to be patient, pay attention to details and have some knowledge. All of them are pretty nice jobs with little to zero stress.

So what exactly are you suggesting I should do?

Get a grip.
(edited 5 years ago)
Internship? and you could work your way up from there.
Original post by PTMalewski
Because the laws of economy will not change just for your convenience.

I don't know who you're talking about.
University degrees are not useless. They just don't help you earning any money unless they are the engineering or math-related ones.

I used to think I can't. Then I discovered it was all about crappy teachers. When you do maths, you have to understand what are you trying to do, and try to figure out how to it, instead of memmorising procedures.

Engineering doesn't have that much mathematics.

There are many different physical works that differ a lot.
Finishing yahts with wood or making jewelerry doesn't need much strenght or stamina. You just have to be patient, pay attention to details and have some knowledge. All of them are pretty nice jobs with little to zero stress.

Get a grip.

OK you're not helping. Or making any sense. Most jobs aren't in maths, engineering or manual labour. You must be living in a different country.
You just need to try. A well paying job isn't just going to be handed to you on a plate, you need to work for it and start at the bottom and work your way up. The fact that you've dropped out of uni twice and that doing an assignment makes you "feel sick" shows your work ethic. If everyone who felt sick over an assignment dropped out there would be no one left. You're the one who go yourself into this mess so now you have to work to get yourself out of it. Like the previous poster said there are many jobs that don't require much prior knowledge to do and are fairly easy once you have started. So many people don't go to uni and get a degree but end up with well paying jobs, and then maybe in the future they get a degree to push them forward in the career they have already made for themselves.

You need to begin somewhere, you can't just expect to have no experience, no degree, and no work ethic and be hired at a well paying high up job.
research types of careers, speak to career advisers etc. none of us are qualified to talk to you about what to do with ur life

Latest

Trending

Trending