The Student Room Group
Original post by alevelhelpxoxo
https://cdn.savemyexams.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/A9.8-Implicit-Topic-Booklet-1-A-Level-Edexcel-Maths-Pure.pdf

question 1 b
how are you meant to find the farthest point on a curve ? i cant find an example in my textbook to explain it to me
in the mark scheme it says to equal the derivative to infinity but why ?

Link does not work.
Original post by RDKGames
Link does not work.

can you see it now ?
It tells you the points furthest west and east respectively are P and Q. These have tangents at that point represented by the dotted line. If you cast your mind back to first doing gradients, a horizontal line has a gradient of 0 and the steeper it gets, the greater the gradient gets. However if you try calculate the gradient of a vertical line by conventional methods, you will find the for the y coordinate to increase the change in x is 0. So dy/dx has to be infinity as a straight vertical line represents an infinite gradient. If anymore help is needed or clarification on what I've said then feel free to ask, my explanation is a bit strange i admit.
Reply 4
The grad is infinite at these two points, so the denominator must be zero.
This gives a single equation in X and y.
Sub this into the equation of the ellipse to determine the value(s) of the variable(s).
Post your working if there is a problem.
can you see it now ?
Original post by bondangle
It tells you the points furthest west and east respectively are P and Q. These have tangents at that point represented by the dotted line. If you cast your mind back to first doing gradients, a horizontal line has a gradient of 0 and the steeper it gets, the greater the gradient gets. However if you try calculate the gradient of a vertical line by conventional methods, you will find the for the y coordinate to increase the change in x is 0. So dy/dx has to be infinity as a straight vertical line represents an infinite gradient. If anymore help is needed or clarification on what I've said then feel free to ask, my explanation is a bit strange i admit.

oh right I get it now thank you, I completely ignored the tangent. Also for part c when it asks to find the point furthermost north how would you go about that?
Reply 6
Gradient is zero, so the numerator is zero.
why is it zero ?
Original post by mqb2766
Gradient is zero, so the numerator is zero.
Reply 8
That is the maximum.
why is it zero ?
So what you're basically saying is the 1/0 = infinity, right?
Anytime I mention that idea to my professor he thinks I've lost a screw.

Original post by mqb2766
The grad is infinite at these two points, so the denominator must be zero.
This gives a single equation in X and y.
Sub this into the equation of the ellipse to determine the value(s) of the variable(s).
Post your working if there is a problem.
Strictly speaking, divide by zero is undefined. In this case as the denominator approaches zero, the gradient increases without bound. So it approaches infinite.
Ask your prof what he/she means, if you domdo understand what they're saying?
Original post by DeadSilver
So what you're basically saying is the 1/0 = infinity, right?
Anytime I mention that idea to my professor he thinks I've lost a screw.
Thanks, he's explained this before but I didn't understand it until now.
Original post by mqb2766
Strictly speaking, divide by zero is undefined. In this case as the denominator approaches zero, the gradient increases without bound. So it approaches infinite.
Ask your prof what he/she means, if you domdo understand what they're saying?
All you do is dx/dy=0
3 years later, another poor student (me) is again plagued by this problem :s-smilie::confused:
Original post by Bookworm524
3 years later, another poor student (me) is again plagued by this problem :s-smilie::confused:

Generally best to not bump old threads, but what are you plagued by?
Original post by mqb2766
Generally best to not bump old threads, but what are you plagued by?

this question turned up in a homework :confused: y=x for part b doesn't seem to make sense
Original post by Bookworm524
this question turned up in a homework :confused: y=x for part b doesn't seem to make sense

y=x is indeed incorrect for part b. What are you trying to do and what will make it correct?
I don't know for the moment so I'm going to dig around for model answers and maybe ask my teacher later. QED.

Original post by mqb2766
y=x is indeed incorrect for part b. What are you trying to do and what will make it correct?

Latest