The Student Room Group

Durham vs Newcastle Uni

I have offers from Newcastle and Durham university to study Archaeology, but I cannot decide between the two universities.

With Durham, I am aware that it is more prestigious and possibly academically stronger. I am, however, concerned about classism as I am from the local area and am not upper class; I have heard from almost everyone who I know who has gone there that classism is a big issue there. I am also not sure about the state of the accommodation and whether the atmosphere is too traditional and old fashioned and maybe a little unfriendly? My college would be Van Mildert which I believe is more modern and friendly so maybe my concerns are unfounded.

With Newcastle, I like the friendly atmosphere. However, I am not a big clubber or a drinker and I am aware that a big factor in people choosing Newcastle appears to be the nightlife. I know that it is not necessarily as prestigious or academically strong as Durham, too. However the accommodation seems better and is far cheaper than Durham.

Does anyone have any opinions or advice to help me make my decision?
Original post by eryla
I have offers from Newcastle and Durham university to study Archaeology, but I cannot decide between the two universities.

With Durham, I am aware that it is more prestigious and possibly academically stronger. I am, however, concerned about classism as I am from the local area and am not upper class; I have heard from almost everyone who I know who has gone there that classism is a big issue there. I am also not sure about the state of the accommodation and whether the atmosphere is too traditional and old fashioned and maybe a little unfriendly? My college would be Van Mildert which I believe is more modern and friendly so maybe my concerns are unfounded.

With Newcastle, I like the friendly atmosphere. However, I am not a big clubber or a drinker and I am aware that a big factor in people choosing Newcastle appears to be the nightlife. I know that it is not necessarily as prestigious or academically strong as Durham, too. However the accommodation seems better and is far cheaper than Durham.

Does anyone have any opinions or advice to help me make my decision?

Durham is a better university and you have to think about your future CV. Everyone knows Durham is better.
Don't have much advice but I am in the same boat. Got offers from Newcastle and Durham for Archaeology. I'm from a working class background and so classism is one of my biggest concerns. Currently trying to decide between the two haha.
Reply 3
If it helps you at all I ended up choosing Durham as my first choice. I went on the post-offer visit day and the students and staff in the department and my college (Van Mildert) seemed very friendly. I’m glad to know I’m not I’m not the only one who had this decision to make.
Original post by methatoneyknow
Don't have much advice but I am in the same boat. Got offers from Newcastle and Durham for Archaeology. I'm from a working class background and so classism is one of my biggest concerns. Currently trying to decide between the two haha.
Original post by eryla
If it helps you at all I ended up choosing Durham as my first choice. I went on the post-offer visit day and the students and staff in the department and my college (Van Mildert) seemed very friendly. I’m glad to know I’m not I’m not the only one who had this decision to make.

Thanks dude. I think I'm leaning toward Newcastle atm simply due to course content, more modules I'm interested in at Newcastle but over the next week I'm gonna do a lot of research and thinking as to which I'm gonna pick in the end. I've already done my A-Levels so offers are unconditionals which means no firm/insurance choices so as soon as I pick that's a done deal. Just need to pick whatever course/location I'm gonna be happier with.

I went to the durham post offer day also haha, I probably saw you there? My assigned college is Josephine Butler tho.
Hello! I am going to Durham in September. I am a couple of years older and having to go in through a foundation degree BUT I am extremely local and just wanted to say that there will be a lot of people there who are upper class but there will also be a lot of people who are not. I think this is something you could encounter everywhere but I do think you should try to worry less about this as an issue as you will fit in one way or another. Newcastle will also have upper class people there too. You won't be alone in worrying about class etc but that shouldn't affect your decision on where to study. Hope this helps!
Original post by methatoneyknow
Thanks dude. I think I'm leaning toward Newcastle atm simply due to course content, more modules I'm interested in at Newcastle but over the next week I'm gonna do a lot of research and thinking as to which I'm gonna pick in the end. I've already done my A-Levels so offers are unconditionals which means no firm/insurance choices so as soon as I pick that's a done deal. Just need to pick whatever course/location I'm gonna be happier with.

I went to the durham post offer day also haha, I probably saw you there? My assigned college is Josephine Butler tho.

Hi eryla

Great to hear that you're considering us for Archaeology :thumbsup:

We are currently ranked 5th for Archaeology (The Guardian University Guide 2019) so a degree from Newcastle is definitely well recognised in the field! The North East is such a great place to study with our historically rich background and high volume of World Heritage sites too. You'll have the opportunity to regularly partake in study visits and field trips to archaeological landscapes such as:

Mayburgh Henge
Castlerigg
Long Meg and her Daughters
Gibside
Bede's early medieval monastery at Jarrow
Vindolanda
Housesteads
Chesters
Corbridge
Hadrian's Wall
Lindisfarne

Of course we also have our Great North Museum next door to campus which is University-led and has a wide range of artefacts for handling.

If you have any questions or anything I can help you with do let me know! Good luck with whatever you decide :smile:
Hello🙂
Which uni did you finally pick, if I may ask?
I’m in that boat now. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
I am in the same boat aswell hahah
I am going to study psychology and both universities are pretty much the same in league tables for psychology although durham overall is respected more, however I live in Newcastle so logistically it is a lot easier
Original post by sophiegray1111
I am in the same boat aswell hahah
I am going to study psychology and both universities are pretty much the same in league tables for psychology although durham overall is respected more, however I live in Newcastle so logistically it is a lot easier

I have chosen Durham. Which college have you been allocated at Durham, if I may ask?
Original post by Newcastle University Student Ambassador
Hi eryla

Great to hear that you're considering us for Archaeology :thumbsup:

We are currently ranked 5th for Archaeology (The Guardian University Guide 2019) so a degree from Newcastle is definitely well recognised in the field! The North East is such a great place to study with our historically rich background and high volume of World Heritage sites too. You'll have the opportunity to regularly partake in study visits and field trips to archaeological landscapes such as:

Mayburgh Henge
Castlerigg
Long Meg and her Daughters
Gibside
Bede's early medieval monastery at Jarrow
Vindolanda
Housesteads
Chesters
Corbridge
Hadrian's Wall
Lindisfarne

Of course we also have our Great North Museum next door to campus which is University-led and has a wide range of artefacts for handling.

If you have any questions or anything I can help you with do let me know! Good luck with whatever you decide :smile:

When I went to Newcastle to visit, it was full of drunk chavs
Original post by TSR Undergrad
When I went to Newcastle to visit, it was full of drunk chavs

Hilarious..

Latest

Trending

Trending