The Student Room Group

Physiology degree

Hi Guys.

I want to ask you if does really exist a degree about cardiac physiology, which is a so limited course.
I mean, medical student study physiology, what is the purpose of creating a degree limited to physiology????

I saw this herehttps://medicinehealth.leeds.ac.uk/medicine-undergraduate-cardiacphysiology.

I the Italian universities is a physician that teach physiology to the students.

It seems like university is a business to make money from this course degree.

How a cardiac physiologist is supposed to make money beside than teaching ?
Original post by WiSi
How a cardiac physiologist is supposed to make money beside than teaching ?

Working as a cardiac physiologist in a clinical setting! They are healthcare professionals who play a valuable role in cardiology. Perhaps this does not exist in the healthcare system where you live.

Yes, a medicine degree includes physiology, but only a certain amount. You can learn physiology to a far greater depth than that which is taught at medical school. My experience in the UK is that physiology in pre-clinical medicine, is generally not taught by doctors - it is taught by scientists - researchers / academics.
A cardiac physiologist is a dedicated healthcare professional within the NHS - they are heavily involved in various forms of cardiac testing such as stress tests and involved in other procedures such as PCI (busting clots during acute heart attacks!) and pacemaker fittings and imaging of coronary vessels - it's a brilliant career and definatly not one to underestimate :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by junior.doctor
Working as a cardiac physiologist in a clinical setting! They are healthcare professionals who play a valuable role in cardiology. Perhaps this does not exist in the healthcare system where you live.

Yes, a medicine degree includes physiology, but only a certain amount. You can learn physiology to a far greater depth than that which is taught at medical school. My experience in the UK is that physiology in pre-clinical medicine, is generally not taught by doctors - it is taught by scientists - researchers / academics.

In the university Physiology is not taught by doctors, but by people that have a degree in medicine, even if are not working as a doctor.
Anyway in Italy doesn't exist such a degree and such a job.
We have just the degree in Medicine or in Biology, and yes, there is just one type of degree in Biology.
Reply 4
Original post by thatonethere
A cardiac physiologist is a dedicated healthcare professional within the NHS - they are heavily involved in various forms of cardiac testing such as stress tests and involved in other procedures such as PCI (busting clots during acute heart attacks!) and pacemaker fittings and imaging of coronary vessels - it's a brilliant career and definatly not one to underestimate :smile:

This is incredible, I'm discovering a lot of degree I never thought they can exist...
I'm wondering who in Italy do this kind of job for which we do not have a degree.
Original post by WiSi
In the university Physiology is not taught by doctors, but by people that have a degree in medicine, even if are not working as a doctor.

Perhaps this is correct in Italy, but the UK you do not have to have a medicine degree to teach physiology. Many people who teach physiology (including teaching physiology to medical students) have a science undergraduate + postgraduate degree. In the UK you can study many different types of bioscience degree - biomedical science, biochemistry, genetics, biology, physiology, zoology, just to name a few.
Reply 6
Original post by junior.doctor
Perhaps this is correct in Italy, but the UK you do not have to have a medicine degree to teach physiology. Many people who teach physiology (including teaching physiology to medical students) have a science undergraduate + postgraduate degree. In the UK you can study many different types of bioscience degree - biomedical science, biochemistry, genetics, biology, physiology, zoology, just to name a few.

This is a nice thing.
Here we have just a single degree in biology, and after you finish it you can do a master in biochemistry, or genetics.
it's crazy for me to discover that in the Uk there are so many types of jobs available.

Also anatomy, here is a physician that have done research in this filed that teach anatomy.
In the Uk is seems there is a degree only for anatomy, and it sounds crazy, and cool at the same time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending