The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Been offered my least preferred accomodation, what can I do?

I really wanted Greetham or Catherine, but got Margaret Rule even though it was my last choice... there is no way I am living there, what can I do?
Original post by Anonymous
I really wanted Greetham or Catherine, but got Margaret Rule even though it was my last choice... there is no way I am living there, what can I do?

See if you can swap with someone or find private accommodation
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Can I ask why you don’t want to stay at Margaret rule?
Reply 3
why?! Just done a quick google and it looks amazing compared to all the other uni accommodation I've seen!

If you arent living there, then talk to accommodation and ask if any places in the other two will become available. Sometimes unis release places in tranches. In the event they wont let you wait, then see if they will let you swap, although they may say its up to you to find the person to swap with.

In the event they wont agree to either of the above, then you will have to go private and find a place yourself.
Reply 5
Original post by MusicGamer
Can I ask why you don’t want to stay at Margaret rule?

The shower is awful, it will probably flood the whole room. The building is unattractive from the outside, especially in comparison to the other buildings. It is also quite dark inside with little natural light.

For the same/similar price as the other accommodations, it isn't up to standard. Not to be overly negative, but it's just not for me.
The shower is awful, it will probably flood the whole room. The building is unattractive from the outside, especially in comparison to the other buildings. It is also quite dark inside with little natural light.

For the same/similar price as the other accommodations, it isn't up to standard. Not to be overly negative, but it's just not for me.

Fair enough, I guess.

The halls I stayed in had showers like that, they’re not as bad as you think they will be. I actually thought the building looks quite nice but hey that’s just me. A few of my friends lived there in first year and they really liked it.

But if you really can’t stand the thought of living there, as other posters have said contact student accommodation and see if there’s any spaces left (I would imagine not as the 2 you preferred are really popular, but you never know) or go into private accommodation.
Hey, we have a flat for next year with a spare room available. Rent would be £375 a month, let’s me know if you’re interested!
Reply 8
Rhianna Timms
I would like to join you!
Could you send me a private message x
Original post by Hariplay
Rhianna Timms
I would like to join you!
I got a place at Rees hall and would swap with you if you want.

Hello,

I am really sorry that you didn't get your first or second choice for accommodation.

I graduated two years ago and lived in Margaret Rule in my first year. It does look a bit dated from the outside but I had the best time living there. Since then all of the rooms have been redecorated with have double beds and having viewed all the accommodation here at the University would say its got some of the biggest bedrooms out of all of them. The newer halls such as Catherine House and Greetham Street do look impressive to the eye, and they are great but their bedrooms are slightly smaller and more expensive.

I can honestly say that once you start living there you will not think the way you do now. The bathrooms are wet rooms but there are things you can do to help that and they don't flood when you shower. You could get a extendable pole and put up a shower curtain, would add a bit of personalisation too. The bedrooms aren't dark, they have a fairly big window. If you have been given a flat at the end of the building then you lucked out because these are massive! I would give it a go and if you really hate it you can always talk to housing to see if any other rooms have come available (not guaranteed, but does happen).

If you really don't want to live there then look for some private accommodation. Be careful looking at private halls because some of these can be obscenely expensive. We do hold a house hunting event in August to help you find private housing with others in a similar situation that you can attend. Honestly living in halls is what you make it, I did everything I could to make it feel as homely as possible and absolutely loved living in Margaret Rule.

Hope this has helped a little, again so sorry that you are dissapointed with the allocation.

Alex - UoP Rep :smile:
I want Margaret rule but I got Bateson. Anyone wanna swap lol
I want Margaret rule but I got Bateson. Anyone wanna swap lol

Preposterous, what room you in
I got a place in Rees Hall too, but I would like to change it. Have you found someone else to swap with?
I am finding it so difficult
Original post by Johnftsr
I got a place at Rees hall and would swap with you if you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending