The Student Room Group

I'm a Software Developer, AMA!

A little background, I'm currently a Software Developer, and have around 3 years experience working in industry.

Ask me anything about my role/background, or about other tech related careers, and I'll do my best to answer :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shadowdweller
A little background, I'm currently a Software Developer, and have around 3 years experience working in industry.

Ask me anything about my role/background, or about other tech related careers, and I'll do my best to answer :biggrin:

what's your yearly salary?
Did you go into this career for the money or because you actually have an interest in software and development?
Do you plan to stay in your job forever?

Hello boss :colondollar:

What's the money like?
Reply 3
Did becoming a software developer change your perception of it? Or was it what you expected?
What has been the most useful piece of software?
vue

Where do you currently work?
What is the work life balance like?
Do you think that it is a job that you could do very late in life or is it a stressful job?
what does a software developer do in simple terms?
Original post by neuronal
what's your yearly salary?
Did you go into this career for the money or because you actually have an interest in software and development?
Do you plan to stay in your job forever?

Around 35k :smile:

I didn't even consider salary, personally, I just enjoy programming! It happens to be a well paid role, but I would have gone down the same route for low pay too :tongue:

Probably not, no - for the foreseeable future I will likely stay in the same role, but at some point down the line I'll probably change role, company, or both :yep:
Original post by thestudent33
Hello boss :colondollar:

What's the money like?

Hey! :biggrin:

As per my previous reply, currently around 35k - for Software Dev roles in general, you're likely to get a fairly decent salary too.
Original post by Nour M.
Did becoming a software developer change your perception of it? Or was it what you expected?

Hmm, I think it's largely what I expected! The main difference over studying it at school/uni is working on the same product for longer - you may have smaller projects within it, but it doesn't have an 'end' point in quite the same way as uni, where you'd basically finish a project and then not need to go back to it!
Original post by Decahedron
What has been the most useful piece of software?

That I've used, or that I've worked on? :smile:
That I've used, or that I've worked on? :smile:

Worked on.
I've not actually done a huge amount with either as yet - React probably has a slight edge for me though :smile:
Original post by TheCSperson
Where do you currently work?
What is the work life balance like?
Do you think that it is a job that you could do very late in life or is it a stressful job?

I'll opt not to answer anything specific about where I work, just for identifiable purposes, I'm afraid :tongue:

Work life balance is pretty good - very broadly speaking, software dev roles tend to have flex-time, so you can work the hours that suit you, within reason :yep:

Day to day it's not overly stressful, outside of deadlines - I think it's a job I could do late in life, and will likely do so, assuming I continue to enjoy it as much :biggrin:
Original post by PEking
what does a software developer do in simple terms?

Simplest terms, programming/coding for computer programs! :smile:
Original post by Decahedron
Worked on.

Hmm, currently I work on a Java web application, and I'd say I've enjoyed this most - there's a large variety of different things to work on within it, and it's not something I'd worked on extensively previously, so it's been a good opportunity to develop my skills :biggrin:
what area of development are you in?
How many languages do you need to know? Is it possible to teach them to yourself?

I use Java, JavaScript, jQuery, and small amounts of HTML/CSS day-to-day, but there are roles where you may need to use more, and roles where you will need to use fewer!

It's certainly possible to teach them to yourself - when it comes to programming, the most fundamental concept to grasp is the concepts (e.g. loops, control structures, etc); the specifics of each language largely comes down to syntax, and whilst that's important, it's a lot easier to pick up new ones once you've got the concepts down pat.

For instance, I studied C++, Python, and VS.net through education, but I self-taught Java, C#, and a few others that I've used at various points! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending