The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Studying at Kent Medway Campus

Has anyone been studying MSC Digital Marketing at Medway Campus and can share what's like student life there, lecturers and such?
Moved to University of Kent forum. :smile:
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Hello jemizima,

Great question! I am currently in my final year studying Business & Management at the Medway campus and have also applied for the MSc in Digital Marketing so happy to answer your questions and share my experience of the campus and the business school.

The Business School over at the Medway Campus is absolutely fantastic and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here at Kent. It is located in the Historic Dockyard which is surrounded by a lot of history and culture which adds to the overall experience. It has some truly magnificent views and there are a lot of museums and attractions nearby that you can always visit for free as a student, if thats what you're interested in. They occasionally do some filming in the Dockyard as well which is great to watch and the sets are beautiful. Think the last thing I saw them film was for a movie called Summerland which stars Gemma Arteton (not released yet though!).

The Business School is conveniently located and you are only about a 10-15 minute walk away from the Chatham town centre where there are plenty of shops and restaurants that you can hang out at if you're looking to kill time or just chill. On the opposite side, you're also a 10-15 minute away from the Chatham Dockside which basically has your shops and restaurants among other things including Starbucks, Odeon, PureGym and even a newly opened TacoBell to name a few.

I am really satisfied with the teaching over here at the Medway Campus and have always seen the benefits of studying at a smaller campus. The lecturers take the time to know you on an individual level which is something that you don't always get, especially at much larger campuses. You really get to develop a strong relationship with the lecturers here and you can literally go to them about anything and everything and they will take time to listen and support you as best as they can, whether it is an issue about an assignment, application for jobs or something else that you wanted to discuss. The best thing is, they remember you by your name which is very motivating. There is a great sense of belonging and community here. Some of the lecturers are like friends to me now and have really supported me with my decisions to take on a Masters programme.

Your lectures will be held in the Historic Dockyard Church which is absolutely stunning. I believe they are also expanding the Sail and Colour Loft (where Seminars are held) to create more study rooms and classrooms for students to provide a more engaging environment that promotes learning. There are a lot of great changes taking place so you'll be coming at a great time!

Hope this has helped to answer your questions. Feel free to ask more if you do have any! Always happy to help :smile:

All the best
Phil

Original post by jemizima
Has anyone been studying MSC Digital Marketing at Medway Campus and can share what's like student life there, lecturers and such?
Reply 3
Original post by Student Rep Phil
Hello jemizima,

Great question! I am currently in my final year studying Business & Management at the Medway campus and have also applied for the MSc in Digital Marketing so happy to answer your questions and share my experience of the campus and the business school.

The Business School over at the Medway Campus is absolutely fantastic and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here at Kent. It is located in the Historic Dockyard which is surrounded by a lot of history and culture which adds to the overall experience. It has some truly magnificent views and there are a lot of museums and attractions nearby that you can always visit for free as a student, if thats what you're interested in. They occasionally do some filming in the Dockyard as well which is great to watch and the sets are beautiful. Think the last thing I saw them film was for a movie called Summerland which stars Gemma Arteton (not released yet though!).

The Business School is conveniently located and you are only about a 10-15 minute walk away from the Chatham town centre where there are plenty of shops and restaurants that you can hang out at if you're looking to kill time or just chill. On the opposite side, you're also a 10-15 minute away from the Chatham Dockside which basically has your shops and restaurants among other things including Starbucks, Odeon, PureGym and even a newly opened TacoBell to name a few.

I am really satisfied with the teaching over here at the Medway Campus and have always seen the benefits of studying at a smaller campus. The lecturers take the time to know you on an individual level which is something that you don't always get, especially at much larger campuses. You really get to develop a strong relationship with the lecturers here and you can literally go to them about anything and everything and they will take time to listen and support you as best as they can, whether it is an issue about an assignment, application for jobs or something else that you wanted to discuss. The best thing is, they remember you by your name which is very motivating. There is a great sense of belonging and community here. Some of the lecturers are like friends to me now and have really supported me with my decisions to take on a Masters programme.

Your lectures will be held in the Historic Dockyard Church which is absolutely stunning. I believe they are also expanding the Sail and Colour Loft (where Seminars are held) to create more study rooms and classrooms for students to provide a more engaging environment that promotes learning. There are a lot of great changes taking place so you'll be coming at a great time!

Hope this has helped to answer your questions. Feel free to ask more if you do have any! Always happy to help :smile:

All the best
Phil

I indeed have more questions I'm curious about 😂:

What do you think about teaching quality of lecturers and how is each module taught?

Do you think the things that are taught in this module are practical in real life?

Does the university assist students in finding job (or rather does the Medway have some job portal and such), CV revisions, interview, etc.?

How many hours of lecture per week?

Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Haha, no worries!

The teaching quality here is consistent and I found most of my lecturers engaging so that's a plus! Most of them are academics, researchers and have relevant experience from industry so were able to share their experience of their time in the field as well as cutting edge research which made the modules much more exciting and relevant to the real world and business practice.

I would say every module is taught differently and the lecturers have their own unique ways of delivering the content to us students. For example, one of my modules during my second year consisted of having guest lecturers coming in every week to deliver a presentation which is relevant to the course topics but heavily applied to their field of work so you were able to understand how theory worked in practice. It was thoroughly enjoyable and as you can imagine, very different to how lectures are usually carried out. I would say the modules are innovative to say the least.

Some modules will consist of lectures and seminars and others will be purely lectures and workshops where you are able to develop your skills in the labs and use industry software. Labs/seminars are usually one hour and lectures can either be 1 or 2 hours depending on which one it is.

Funnily enough I actually had a chat with one of the Marketing lecturers in April before I applied for the MSc Digital Marketing course so I'm happy to share with you what I discovered. The course is still relatively new, I think it only just started running last year and was developed with students and needs of the market in mind. It combines elements of 'soft' marketing where you have a chance to learn all about marketing theory as well as the applied side of Digital Marketing which is more statistical and analytics driven which is basically what employers in the market are demanding these days. You'll most likely be in the labs for these and be using industry software. :smile: So in response to your question I would definitely say yes, the course is practical to real life!

I had around 5 hours of lectures and 4 hours of seminars each week and of course they recommend for you to do independent learning at home as well. I had 4 modules each term (8 modules in total for the year). I think there are a lot more for postgraduate degrees though since you will be doing far more than 8 modules.

Yes! Our careers advisors for the Careers and Employability service Natalie and Amy are absolutely brilliant and really supported me when I was searching for a placement in my second year which I managed to secure. You are able to visit them anytime during their drop-in hour or alternatively you can book an appointment to meet with them as well. They can help you with all sorts such as guidance on career paths, mock interviews, assessment centres, support with CV and personal statements and general advice about employment, etc! They're really knowledgable and understand what employers are looking for and what makes them tick.

Hope this has answered your questions for now! Feel free to pop me a message if you have any more. :biggrin:

Philip

Original post by jemizima
I indeed have more questions I'm curious about 😂:

What do you think about teaching quality of lecturers and how is each module taught?

Do you think the things that are taught in this module are practical in real life?

Does the university assist students in finding job (or rather does the Medway have some job portal and such), CV revisions, interview, etc.?

How many hours of lecture per week?

Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Student life in medway is AWFUL, there is one club which is a 20 minute walk way from the accommodation, the area is horrible and rundown. So many people I know have left in the first year or plan to leave after the first year because you end up stuck in your room all the time as there is nothing to do. There aren't even coffee shops you could go and sit in close by, the walk to the main university campus from the accommodation is 15/20 minutes, if your classes are held at the dockside that will increase to 40. As a female I and my friends have been harassed in the street by the locals multiple times, we constantly feel scared. I cannot urge you enough to stay away.
Hi Lucie,

I'm very sorry that you felt this way and that you experienced what you have written above. As a fellow student i feel as if I had a much different experience to you.

There are a number of clubs in and around the area that you can go to, Moomoo's is obviously the closest one and is within walking distance to the accommodation. I usually go to Maidstone or Rochester if i'm going out and it doesn't work out to be too expensive if you split the cab fare with a few mates. Often, if there is a student event as well, there are usually free buses that you can take instead if you prefer not to pay for the cab fare.

I had the chance to do a lot of exploring around the areas as a final year student and there are many great places in Gillingham and Chatham. I would recommend for you to check out the Strand or St. Mary's Island or head down to Rochester for a day to check out the village. I've also done a few hikes here and there with my friends just to see where we end up at and some of the views that we see are great.

The area surrounding the campus and Liberty Quays which I assume is where you are staying is currently going through a lot of construction works but will become a much more vibrant community with many shops and activities as well. Do check out the Mast & Riggin if you have time (next to Asda), really nice vibes in there and great food at an affordable price. Also Cargo (the Student Bar) has a lot of music nights and regular events that you can partake in such as quiz nights if you are ever looking for something to do! It gets quite competitive though, haha. :biggrin:

I rarely found myself having nothing to do since I was either at the gym, busy revising or writing a last minute assignment at the library, taking part in the events at various societies e.g. Gaming or having a chill cooking/movie night with my flatmates. Theres also a cinema which is like 10-15minute walk away if you are a film fanatic.

There is also a free shuttle bus right outside the accommodation/on campus that also takes you down to the Canterbury campus if you wish to take part in activities/societies over there as well so I found that there were many things to do.

The campus has the Student Hub Bar & Restaurant, two onsite Starbuck's and four canteens/cafe's (No.1 Bistro, Galvanising shop, Archibald Haymess Cafe (within the library) and in Pilkington building if you are ever looking for hot food or a hot drink which is very convenient. Of course, you if you wanted Nando's, Taco Bell, Subway or Pizza Hut you would have to do an extra walk which is only 10 minutes from campus (I recommend taking the short cut behind Vanquis bank!)

In terms of the walk, you always have the option to take a Arriva bus (which my friends do and they purchase the yearly pass - only if you want to pay) or you could simply wait for the free campus shuttle (just check the times before you do) and catch the bus from Liberty Quays to either the main campus or the dockside since it goes to both areas since that was what students asked for. If you prefer the exercise like me, it usually takes 20-25 mins for me to do the walk max. Again, theres a few shortcuts you could take which is the back way heading towards Medway college.

Theres also many shops in Gillingham and Chatham highstreet / The Pentagon and Bluewater Shopping centre is a 20 minute car drive or 30 mins train ride away and you have access to pretty much any shops there! Its also convenient to get into London as well if you wanted to.

I am sorry to hear about your experience about being harassed. I would urge you to download the campus security app which is operated and monitored 24/7 by campus security. You can always request help, first aid or ask for security to accompany you back to your accommodation if you feel unsafe since that is their job after all :smile: They're super friendly and always willing to help and can track you from anywhere using GPS if you share your location. Here's the link to the app: https://www.kent.ac.uk/safezone/ - I hope this helps and will provide you with more peace of mind!

I hope your experience at Medway changes. Best of luck with the rest of your studies and have a lovely summer! :cool:

Original post by Lucie00
Student life in medway is AWFUL, there is one club which is a 20 minute walk way from the accommodation, the area is horrible and rundown. So many people I know have left in the first year or plan to leave after the first year because you end up stuck in your room all the time as there is nothing to do. There aren't even coffee shops you could go and sit in close by, the walk to the main university campus from the accommodation is 15/20 minutes, if your classes are held at the dockside that will increase to 40. As a female I and my friends have been harassed in the street by the locals multiple times, we constantly feel scared. I cannot urge you enough to stay away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending