The Student Room Group

PBL medicine courses

I’ve been looking into the types of teaching at medical schools and have decided against going somewhere that uses PBL. Please could someone list the PBL unis so that I can cross them off of my uni list 😁
If you dont mind me asking, why?
I personally hated pbl when I began it (and it's still not my favourite), however I will say that you learn a lot from it and it is an invaluable way of learning the course
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/comparisontool/
You can compare all the unis here.
I've gone through and the ones with pbl are: Barts, Cardiff, Hull York, Lancaster, Manchester, Plymouth, Sunderland and Warwick

I'd like to add, all the uni's mentioned above are purely PBL based. Many of the uni's offer an integrated course (and thus most likely include some PBL but this isn't the sole way of learning, they also use lectures and tutorials). I've not mentioned any of these uni's in the above list as it is almost all the uni's. The only ones which aren't PBL based or an integrated structure are Cambridge and Oxford
Reply 2
Thanks!

I just really don’t like the fact that I’ll have to teach myself all of the work when I’m paying them to teach me.

Original post by AzureCeleste
If you dont mind me asking, why?
I personally hated pbl when I began it (and it's still not my favourite), however I will say that you learn a lot from it and it is an invaluable way of learning the course
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/comparisontool/
You can compare all the unis here.
I've gone through and the ones with pbl are: Barts, Cardiff, Hull York, Lancaster, Manchester, Plymouth, Sunderland and Warwick

I'd like to add, all the uni's mentioned above are purely PBL based. Many of the uni's offer an integrated course (and thus most likely include some PBL but this isn't the sole way of learning, they also use lectures and tutorials). I've not mentioned any of these uni's in the above list as it is almost all the uni's. The only ones which aren't PBL based or an integrated structure are Cambridge and Oxford
Original post by Sam snake
Thanks!

I just really don’t like the fact that I’ll have to teach myself all of the work when I’m paying them to teach me.

As a current medicine student I can tell you that PBL can be incredibly beneficial
At my uni everything is covered in lectures and then we have PBL which complements the lectures (so what we learnt the previous week is more covered to ensure people understand it during PBL). I wouldn't say you are teaching yourself as such, because ultimately at any uni you go to you will be teaching yourself as it's part of the course and the degree- you will always be doing further and wider reading.

It proper challenges your thinking. I wouldn't complete dismiss it at all
Reply 4
Do you mind me asking what uni you go to?

Also, I don’t mind doing a little bit of PBL, I just want a mixture so if I realise I don’t like it it’s not the only thing they do 😑
Original post by AzureCeleste
As a current medicine student I can tell you that PBL can be incredibly beneficial
At my uni everything is covered in lectures and then we have PBL which complements the lectures (so what we learnt the previous week is more covered to ensure people understand it during PBL). I wouldn't say you are teaching yourself as such, because ultimately at any uni you go to you will be teaching yourself as it's part of the course and the degree- you will always be doing further and wider reading.

It proper challenges your thinking. I wouldn't complete dismiss it at all

Also, I don’t mind doing a little bit of PBL, I just want a mixture so if I realise I don’t like it it’s not the only thing they do 😑

Oooh I dunno are you sure? There was literally one tiny bit of PBL in my med school course and it was universally hated. Felt so unstructured, so unsupported, and at the end no one knew what was important to know and what was not.

Edinburgh
Original post by nexttime
Oooh I dunno are you sure? There was literally one tiny bit of PBL in my med school course and it was universally hated. Felt so unstructured, so unsupported, and at the end no one knew what was important to know and what was not.

Lol yeah, to be fair there isn't much PBL in my course (twice a week). But yeah people don't know what is and isn't important and what to gain from it- I think sometimes it is more obvious and sometimes less obvious
Reply 7
That’s my exact reasoning. I don’t want to be unsupported and have no clue what I’m doing
Original post by nexttime

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending