The Student Room Group

I'm a feminist AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anotheranon
Thanks for posting again :smile:
Gosh, I'll be honest I'm really surprised by your answer. May I ask why you think women shouldn't have leadership roles?
How does the feminist view differ to yours? Well I believe that men and women are equal in all ways and that includes in leadership roles.
Different people have different ideas about what masculinity and femininity are, when I say we should celebrate both genders, I think we should celebrate what each individual looks within for their own definition of gender, and celebrate the parts that makes their gender different and special. I support both international men's day and international women's day.

I have that view since Bible is my final authority, and that Bible teaches that men and women are equal in value, but have different roles in society, men go to work, provide for the family and are the head of their homes, women stay had home with the children, caring for them and the house wives should submit to their husbands in all things (unless it's sin of course) and husband's should love their wives the Bible also teaches that women should not "usurp the authority of the man", that's why I don't think women should be in leadership roles having authority over men. I don't think women should be politicians since when the Bible talks of women ruling over a nation/people, it wasn't in a positive light, because women were in power, the people went astray. so I'll trying sum it up in terms of who has most authority, God, then Man, then Woman, then Child.

thanks for answering my questions, really appreciate it.

ah I have another question, are there any laws that you think should be changed in light of feminism? such as back in the day, feminists fought to change the law that women couldn't vote. any laws you'd like to change?
Original post by Wired_1800
Here goes:

1. Do you think women are systematically oppressed?
2. Should abortion be illegal?
3. What do you think of the gender pay gap?
4. Do you hate men?
5. If you had to choose, would you be born a male or female?
6. Should transgender women be allowed into cis-gendered female spaces.
7. Do you believe in quotas for women in executive position?
8. Should men have joint custodies of their children after divorce?
9. Do you think women who falsely accuse men of rape or sexual assault should be prosecuted?
10. Marmite, love it or hate it?

1. yes
2. In truth, I haven't made up my own mind on that
3. yes- I talked about the gender pay gap in a previous post go check it out it's on page 1 I think
4. No, I think men are great and masculinity should be celebrated
5. female
6. yes
7. no
8. As long as they haven't been abusive or anything like that then of course
9. yes
10. love it
Do you believe that men and women should receive the same sentence- if they have both been convicted of the same violent criminal offence involving a weapon or hate crime where the victim is a stranger to them?
Original post by Leviathan1611
I have that view since Bible is my final authority, and that Bible teaches that men and women are equal in value, but have different roles in society, men go to work, provide for the family and are the head of their homes, women stay had home with the children, caring for them and the house wives should submit to their husbands in all things (unless it's sin of course) and husband's should love their wives the Bible also teaches that women should not "usurp the authority of the man", that's why I don't think women should be in leadership roles having authority over men. I don't think women should be politicians since when the Bible talks of women ruling over a nation/people, it wasn't in a positive light, because women were in power, the people went astray. so I'll trying sum it up in terms of who has most authority, God, then Man, then Woman, then Child.

thanks for answering my questions, really appreciate it.

ah I have another question, are there any laws that you think should be changed in light of feminism? such as back in the day, feminists fought to change the law that women couldn't vote. any laws you'd like to change?

Hey, interesting view point and I respect your dedication to your religion. I'm also a Christian, but there are some rules I don't follow. For example, the ban on eating shellfish and wearing mixed-fibre fabrics in Leviticus. There are parts of the bible which condone slavery and rape, which obviously I don't support. I'm no knowledgeable theologian, however I think that there are some parts of the bible we shouldn't follow ie slavery, rape etc. I think the overall message of the bible is more important. Jesus himself said 'the sabbath is for man not man for the sabbath' which shows us that the Laws of the bible are designed to help us be as loving and kind to one another as possible, and if they don't serve that purpose we shouldn't follow them. The bible is contradictory, and jesus himself broke the laws and the advice of the bible to do the thing that was most loving. For example in the sermon on the mount he contradicted the old testament and said that we shouldn't take an eye for an eye but rather turn the other cheek. he always put love first, even before the advice and laws of the bible.
The overall message of the bible, the golden rule is one of love. I don't believe it's loving to prevent women from becoming leaders. Women are just as intelligent and it's cruel and a disservice to humanity to potentially turn away the next great leader because of her gender. it's unloving and unchristian, but that's just my viewpoint.
Original post by Wired_1800
Here goes:

10. Marmite, love it or hate it?

10 - love it. Particularly on soldiers with a dippy egg.
TO REITERATE- NO FEMINIST WILL EVER CALL YOU SEXIST OR AGAINST WOMENS RIGHTS IF YOU DONT WANT TO CALL YOURSELF A FEMINIST. ITS ONLY FAR-RIGHT YOUTUBERS WHO CLAIM THAT FEMINISTS JUDGE OTHERS FOR NOT WANTING TO USE THE TERM FEMINISTS TO PUSH THE VIEW THAT FEMINISTS ARE JUDGY AND *****Y.

But some feminists online do call people sexist/anti-women for not identifying as feminists...
Original post by jamesbarry17
Okay, I would hope most people would realise that most women are "normal", but the word 'feminist' has connotations of going too far because it's done the job it's needed to; women have equal rights, the gender pay gap is almost entirely a myth, etc. Feminism in the west now has nothing left to achieve, so now "feminists" are people advocating gender quotas in government roles (a terrible idea), denying innate biological and psychological causes of employment role and pay differences, denying any possible legitimacy of typical gender roles, dismissing all pro-lifers as tyrannical woman-controllers, etc.

Hey, thanks for posting again. I wrote this thread because I wanted people to know that feminists such as myself are normal and that we don't hate men.
I hope you won't get offended when I say that your idea of what a feminist is and what a feminist believes is what the media has told you rather than the truth. Maybe 0.01% of feminists fit your description. I don't think that feminism has 'done the job' it's needed to at all. Women have equal rights under law, but in the real world they aren't treated as equals to men quite yet. I don't think the gender pay gap is a myth at all, please let me know why you think it is a myth so I can understand why you think that.
I don't believe in gender quotas, most of us don't believe in gender quotas. I think feminists do a lot more than you realise. We start charities for those in LEDCs, we raise awareness of slut shaming, we draw attention to those in positions of power who have used that power perhaps to use women. We start charities for mens mental health, to raise money to counter period poverty in the UK, we build shelters for men and women who have suffered from sexual or physical abuse. We do loads, but maybe you just haven't required those services yourself, so you haven't seen them.
I don't think pro-lifers are tyrannical women controllers. Again, that is a false stereotype about feminists promoted by the media.

In terms of 'denying the possible legitimacy of gender roles', may I ask what you mean?
Original post by londonmyst
Do you believe that men and women should receive the same sentence- if they have both been convicted of the same violent criminal offence involving a weapon or hate crime where the victim is a stranger to them?

Of course they should receive the same sentence for the same crime
Who pays on a first date?
Original post by Toki the Dumdum
But some feminists online do call people sexist/anti-women for not identifying as feminists...

I've never met a feminist who thought that. I've never seen any online evidence of that myself, and I'm part of so many online feminist networks. Maybe 0.01% of feminists? I bet there's probably thirty posts on the internet all made by the same five people, and that those 30 posts are used by far right you-tubers to promote the idea that feminists are bullies and judgey. I promise you that 99% of feminists in real life will not judge you for not wanting to be a feminist. It's a false narrative where a small minority are used as evidence by the far right to promote an us vs them narrative
Hey, interesting view point and I respect your dedication to your religion. I'm also a Christian, but there are some rules I don't follow. For example, the ban on eating shellfish and wearing mixed-fibre fabrics in Leviticus. There are parts of the bible which condone slavery and rape, which obviously I don't support. I'm no knowledgeable theologian, however I think that there are some parts of the bible we shouldn't follow ie slavery, rape etc. I think the overall message of the bible is more important. Jesus himself said 'the sabbath is for man not man for the sabbath' which shows us that the Laws of the bible are designed to help us be as loving and kind to one another as possible, and if they don't serve that purpose we shouldn't follow them. The bible is contradictory, and jesus himself broke the laws and the advice of the bible to do the thing that was most loving. For example in the sermon on the mount he contradicted the old testament and said that we shouldn't take an eye for an eye but rather turn the other cheek. he always put love first, even before the advice and laws of the bible.
The overall message of the bible, the golden rule is one of love. I don't believe it's loving to prevent women from becoming leaders. Women are just as intelligent and it's cruel and a disservice to humanity to potentially turn away the next great leader because of her gender. it's unloving and unchristian, but that's just my viewpoint.

awesome. dietary laws were done away with in the new testament, for example, God brought 'unclean' food for Peter to eat and he protested say it was uncommon, but God said to not call that he has cleansed uncommon Paul also wrote that every creature of God is good to be received with thanksgiving
there's no such law banning mixed fabrics, many have mistakenly believed this because all the corrupt modern versions say so, when in reality, in the KJV, it simply says not to wear clothes woven with linen and wool specifically. and I'm not aware of any clothing that has linen and wool sown together.
the Bible also doesn't condone rape, there's a death penalty for rapists.
everything in the Bible is equally important since it was all written by God, even the 'boring' chapters of genologies and specific instructions on what the priests should wear and how to build the tabernacle.
true, it's a great guide, did you know the law was also to bring us to Christ? see, the law condemns us, making us realise we're deserving and damned to hell, so we look to Christ to save us, by simply believing on him alone. I find that quite interesting, thought I'd tell you if you didn't already know.
ah, the Bible has no contradiction, God wrote it he can't contradict himself, maybe these modern versions, yes many contradictions, that's why you stick with the King James Version.
Jesus can't break the laws, he is God, God cannot sin, if he sinned, then he can't save us.
Jesus did not contradict, the old testament taught love too, old and new testament compliment one another, not contradict
it can't be unchristian if that's what God wanted.

but anyway, if you want to continue this cool discussion, just pm me, don't want to go off topic in your thread.😊

back to my other question, any laws you think should be changed?🙂
we really need feminism because some men think they can use their power and biological strength to control women and it's absolutely disgusting. i hate how some fathers mentally physically abuse their family and want to control every single aspect of their living. i hate fathers who, because they're so strong and big, charge at aggressively and tower over their kid sons just to prove to them how superior they are. seeing the little child whimper in fear at this large disgusting creature in front of him pointing his finger in anger breaks my heart so much. (ik this is an AMA but this was on my mind last night and this thread is very relevant)
ugh it really isn't normal to be like "i'm gonna make u cry blood" to a CHILD

this is why some women "hate" men....it's stupid too but at this point i wouldnt wanna marry a man ...
(edited 4 years ago)
Do you have pink, blue or green hair?
Reply 53
I would say that I am a feminist too and i believe that women can do the same jobs as men, however I don't believe that they are the same physically. Men biologically have bigger lungs and hearts, so therefore can run faster, lift more, etc.
So part of me disagree that men and women are completely equal in every way. What do you think?
Original post by Leviathan1611
awesome. dietary laws were done away with in the new testament, for example, God brought 'unclean' food for Peter to eat and he protested say it was uncommon, but God said to not call that he has cleansed uncommon Paul also wrote that every creature of God is good to be received with thanksgiving
there's no such law banning mixed fabrics, many have mistakenly believed this because all the corrupt modern versions say so, when in reality, in the KJV, it simply says not to wear clothes woven with linen and wool specifically. and I'm not aware of any clothing that has linen and wool sown together.
the Bible also doesn't condone rape, there's a death penalty for rapists.
everything in the Bible is equally important since it was all written by God, even the 'boring' chapters of genologies and specific instructions on what the priests should wear and how to build the tabernacle.
true, it's a great guide, did you know the law was also to bring us to Christ? see, the law condemns us, making us realise we're deserving and damned to hell, so we look to Christ to save us, by simply believing on him alone. I find that quite interesting, thought I'd tell you if you didn't already know.
ah, the Bible has no contradiction, God wrote it he can't contradict himself, maybe these modern versions, yes many contradictions, that's why you stick with the King James Version.
Jesus can't break the laws, he is God, God cannot sin, if he sinned, then he can't save us.
Jesus did not contradict, the old testament taught love too, old and new testament compliment one another, not contradict
it can't be unchristian if that's what God wanted.

but anyway, if you want to continue this cool discussion, just pm me, don't want to go off topic in your thread.😊

back to my other question, any laws you think should be changed?🙂

Jesus 100% did break the laws of the Old testament. In order to test Jesus, unbelievers brought him a terminally ill person and asked him to heal him. They knew that the sabbath was the day of rest and believed that if Jesus was the true messiah he wouldn't cure the man. Jesus did cure the man and when they told him he shouldn't have, he said 'the sabbath was made for man not man for the sabbath'. Jesus knew that doing the most loving thing was more important than rules, he recognised that rules, such as the one suggesting you rest on the sabbath are designed to serve man 'sabbath was made for man', not to be used against him 'not man for the sabbath'.

In the sermon on the mount, Jesus directly opposed a direct quote from the bible. The bible says 'an eye for an eye'. When his follower asked him about that law he directly said that that law was wrong and that his followers should turn the other cheek.

The bible says do not kill as one of the ten commandments yet, as you pointed out, there is another part that says theres a death penalty for rapists.
It's an inescapable fact that the bible offers contradictory advice. that's why I follow the overall message of the bible as opposed to the smaller rules- that of love
Original post by Y12_FurtherMaths
Who pays on a first date?

Everyone should pay for their own meal. I'd personally never let a man pay for me on a date. I had a friend who went on a date once when the guy kept insisting after the fourth time she said no. she even said to him "ok, if your insisting on getting this one, you have to let me get the next one" and he still refused. It made her feel very uncomfortable and indebted.

Some girls like people paying for their date, some don't. I hate the idea of not paying for my own food, I'm an adult lol
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Do you have pink, blue or green hair?

I'm naturally blonde lol
My friend who a male was abused by his wife in public she hit in the face and spat at him.1/6 men are abused by a woman in their lifetime and women who abuse men get lower sentences than males who abuse females. Also in teenage relationship females are more likely to hit their male partner than the other way round. Which is wrong I know four males friends who were abused by females they never got any form of justices. Also, the most violent relationship is same-sex gay women it 1/4. So don't believe that female are the only victims like a lot of feminists make out because males are too
Hi!
I think like 0.1% of feminists are 'feminazis' as you call them. I think men are awesome and most feminists like myself think we should celebrate both masculinity and femininity!
So I'm female (although men can be feminists too!)
I wanted to be a feminist because my friend went through an abusive relationship and she wasn't taken seriously by the police. Another reason is that one of my best guy friends struggles with mental health but because of the horrible stereotypes surrounding what it means to be a man, he was too afraid to get help.
Both those situations illustrated to me the problems surrounding gender, the different ways in which men and women suffer, and it made me want to be a part of a movement which fights for both men and women.
When did I learn about feminism? When I was 11 years old I read a book about feminism. At first I was afraid to openly call myself a feminist because of the stereotypes, but then I realised I cared more about taking a stand than a couple uneducated boys who called me names.
Thanks for taking part, message me if you have more questions or if you'd like some clarification :smile:
Original post by Elissae
I would say that I am a feminist too and i believe that women can do the same jobs as men, however I don't believe that they are the same physically. Men biologically have bigger lungs and hearts, so therefore can run faster, lift more, etc.
So part of me disagree that men and women are completely equal in every way. What do you think?

I think men and women are physically equal though. Sure there's some things that men are better at ie their typically stronger, faster etc, however there are some things women can do and men can't physically. They live longer, they can hold a baby, they can feed a baby with their bodies, which is really incredible. But just because I can get pregnant and produce milk when a man's body can't, that doesn't in any way mean my body is superior to his. It's just different.

Ask yourself this- "Is food better than drink? Do I prefer food or drink?" You'd probably argue that those two things are incomparible, that you don't have a favourite and it's silly to say one is superior to the other. Well male and female bodies are the same. I don't believe my ability to feed a child with just my body makes me superior to men, nor should men believe that superior physical strength makes their bodies better than mine.

Men and women are equal physically, their bodies just have different talents.
Reply 59
weird flex

Quick Reply

Latest