The Student Room Group

Bland personality :(

I was just wondering how could I make myself more funny or have more of a substance to my character?

I feel as if i'm just boring.. And due to this I feel like I'm the person in my friendship group no one really cares about or is everyone's last choice :/

Context - female, 19 and at Uni.

I've had this same issue through high school, sixth form and now at Uni and it makes me slightly upset.

Scroll to see replies

Read more. That way you'll have content to contribute to a conversation.
Original post by sinfonietta

PRSOM

lol can tell you have no friends, instead of going out you read books in the dark. OP go to the pub or where everyone hangs out and get wasted
Reply 4

As in novels or news?
Reply 5
Original post by Physikoi
lol can tell you have no friends, instead of going out you read books in the dark. OP go to the pub or where everyone hangs out and get wasted

I dont drink so don't really have a reason to go to the pub.
You may just be quiet or more reserved. Don’t think of yourself as having a bland personality and don’t live in fear. You could develop different aspects of yourself by trying new activities and mixing with different types of people.

Maybe you’re hanging out with the wrong groups. You won’t click with everyone.
I feel exactly the same. I'm in Year 11.
Reply 8
Original post by YaliaV
You may just be quiet or more reserved. Don’t think of yourself as having a bland personality and don’t live in fear. You could develop different aspects of yourself by trying new activities and mixing with different types of people.

Maybe you’re hanging out with the wrong groups. You won’t click with everyone.

I am quiet and reserved but not mouse kinda quiet. Honestly, can't see anything about my personality that makes me fun :/

I wouldn't know what to try tbh.

I have been in several diff groups and it has always been like this. Atm, at uni I'm in two diff friendship groups and it's like this in both of them.

Reply 9
Original post by tigerdingo
I feel exactly the same. I'm in Year 11.

Even though I'm in a group I could count how many real friends I have on one hand lol.
Not a fan of watching movies as most are just rubbish. As for tv series, I've stopped watching when I started sixth form as I got busy and went on a hiatus. Now, I'm just annoyed of having so many half finished shows and have stopped watching series. With books I'm just a really slow reader and will probably take a solid month to finish a book :lol:
Original post by Anonymous
Even though I'm in a group I could count how many real friends I have on one hand lol.

Don't even know if I have any.
Reply 12
I've noticed this, a lot of women around your age lack individuality especially when in university.

Over time you should begin to start getting a base of interests and things to do. My ex's have been like this before, all they did was watch Youtube and chat rubbish but over time it goes away.
As in novels or news?

As said: both. Even just reading the days headlines on your phone while on the bus/train/etc or while eating breakfast is a great way to get caught up on what topics are trending and provide content that you can talk about with your peers. When I open Chrome on my phone in the morning it brings up a list of the latest articles in both news and entertainment media and often enough a friend will say "Hey, did you see..." and bring up something I likely read about recently.

Not a fan of watching movies as most are just rubbish. As for tv series, I've stopped watching when I started sixth form as I got busy and went on a hiatus. Now, I'm just annoyed of having so many half finished shows and have stopped watching series. With books I'm just a really slow reader and will probably take a solid month to finish a book :lol:

What do you do in your free time then?
Original post by xDron3
I've noticed this, a lot of women around your age lack individuality especially when in university.

Over time you should begin to start getting a base of interests and things to do. My ex's have been like this before, all they did was watch Youtube and chat rubbish but over time it goes away.

While I was in first year I played badminton weekly and was part of another sports club which I'm a secretary for next yr.. I was also involved in another society quite heavily in second term, so it's not that I have not tried anything as I have done so.

What's your interests?

Aha I don't even watch Youtube...

I have an individual personality but it's just boring lol.
As ------- said: both. Even just reading the days headlines on your phone while on the bus/train/etc or while eating breakfast is a great way to get caught up on what topics are trending and provide content that you can talk about with your peers. When I open Chrome on my phone in the morning it brings up a list of the latest articles in both news and entertainment media and often enough a friend will say "Hey, did you see..." and bring up something I likely read about recently.

What do you do in your free time then?

It's not that but when I sit and listen to my friends talk they're just witty. I can't think of a time when any of my friends have talked about the news tbf.
(edited 3 years ago)
Bump
I mean to be honest, most people are not all that exciting or have much depth in their characters. They tend to look at people around them and emulate traits they think will make them popular. E.g. one of my friends has no hobbies other than drinking wine, but she will act like she has interests in things she knows nothing about (says she loves rock music when she can only name one song from Guns n’ Roses and that’s it, buys books to make her study look super intellectual but has only actually read a few of them lol). And these days, you can notice most people are using same makeup style, same clothing style, same way of talking, same interests, etc.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the way you talk is not so expressive. People tend to get bored when you speak in a monotone with no expression on your face. I am a quiet person so I used to be like that, then I worked in sales for a while a learned how to speak enthusiastically and expressively.
Original post by Johndoeskitty
I mean to be honest, most people are not all that exciting or have much depth in their characters. They tend to look at people around them and emulate traits they think will make them popular. E.g. one of my friends has no hobbies other than drinking wine, but she will act like she has interests in things she knows nothing about (says she loves rock music when she can only name one song from Guns n’ Roses and that’s it, buys books to make her study look super intellectual but has only actually read a few of them lol). And these days, you can notice most people are using same makeup style, same clothing style, same way of talking, same interests, etc.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the way you talk is not so expressive. People tend to get bored when you speak in a monotone with no expression on your face. I am a quiet person so I used to be like that, then I worked in sales for a while a learned how to speak enthusiastically and expressively.

But they're fun to be around or make you smile/laugh constantly. Whereas, I don't have that effect.

I'm never anyone's favourite friend or closest.

Lool she sounds so fake..

That's to do with individuality I'm not really asking how to become more of an individual. I don't wear makeup, my clothing style is basic (black jeans, heeled boots & top/jumper). As for interests I really don't know what I'm interested in :lol:

Naa, my tone is not monotone. I'm just not someone that laughs a lot and I can't make jokes.
"Act enthusiastic and you'll be enthusiastic"

Start acting more enthusiastic.

That's all it will take. You are pretty much fine as you are. Nobody in real life is James Bond. Lurching from one exotic adventure to another.
At the age of 19, no reasonable person will have expected you to have done anything adventurous.

Just do everything with a more enthusiastic act than you have up until now and people will be drawn to you magnetically. Not all the people all the time, but eniugh people enough of the time for it to make a positive difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending