The Student Room Group

Why is media considered s soft?

A lot of people tend to immediately say subjects like media aren’t good prep for uni. However, media has a significant amount of essay writing, coursework is only 30% overall so it’s not as practical as people like to think it is. I understand all subjects at A level require hard work, but surely subjects like design and tech, textiles, dance, graphic design, art, film studies, accounting are more ‘soft’ if your going into an academic degree, they don’t prepare you for academic rigour at all. Yet, everyone seems to just specify media studies and are nasty about it (these people do not take it themselves) when it actually requires you to think analytically, essay write, you have to have good social, cultural, political, economical and historical awareness in order to get top marks in essays which in a sense is similar to politics, you so have to apply theoretical concepts like in philosophy. It’s often considered on the same level as PE... the academic conten in PE is much lower than that of Media, we have about 13 large case studies to learn and more in A2. I think it’s rep is unfair.
Original post by Aimee_101
A lot of people tend to immediately say subjects like media aren’t good prep for uni. However, media has a significant amount of essay writing, coursework is only 30% overall so it’s not as practical as people like to think it is. I understand all subjects at A level require hard work, but surely subjects like design and tech, textiles, dance, graphic design, art, film studies, accounting are more ‘soft’ if your going into an academic degree, they don’t prepare you for academic rigour at all. Yet, everyone seems to just specify media studies and are nasty about it (these people do not take it themselves) when it actually requires you to think analytically, essay write, you have to have good social, cultural, political, economical and historical awareness in order to get top marks in essays which in a sense is similar to politics, you so have to apply theoretical concepts like in philosophy. It’s often considered on the same level as PE... the academic conten in PE is much lower than that of Media, we have about 13 large case studies to learn and more in A2. I think it’s rep is unfair.

Talk to the unis. They are in the business of teaching and the top ones will consider media (unless its a media degree) to be less academically challenging than a traditional stem or facilitating subject.

Learn which battles to fight.
Reply 2

There are students at "top" universities with an A-level in Media.

If you enjoy it study it.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Talk to the unis. They are in the business of teaching and the top ones will consider media (unless its a media degree) to be less academically challenging than a traditional stem or facilitating subject.

Learn which battles to fight.

I have 5 offers from top uni's and I have taken no facilitating subjects, 1 of them being media, so lol at that
I have 5 offers from top uni's and I have taken no facilitating subjects, 1 of them being media, so lol at that

So what? All you have shown is that you are immature. What I said was correct. You asked a question and I wasted my time thinking you were worth answering.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
So what? All you have shown is that you are immature. What I said was correct. You asked a question and I wasted my time thinking you were worth answering.

How have I shown that I am immature? Your very dramatic. I just didn't like how you said 'learn which battles to fight' ... I was only giving my opinion on a subject and its reputation and why in comparsion to the others non acdaemic subjects it seems to have a worse one. The way you started bringing up facilitating subjects like everyone does on this site, gets on my nerves. Everyone goes on about how top uni's will be less likely to want you if you don't have them becuase they are less academic. If that's the case then why have they accepted me on to an academic course with no facilitating subjects then, they clearly think my non-facilitating subjects have some academic rigour.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest