The Student Room Group

Eduqas Biology A Level 2019 Paper 1,2,3 2019 Exam discussion

Not sure if there's already a discussion for eduqas bio this year so I made one. Does anyone else even do this exam board?!

Scroll to see replies

Unfortunately me too. In a way it's good since the grade boundaries are a bit low, however, it's really hard. Hardly any resources and the ones for wjec don't really cover everything.... lmao we have like a week more or less and Im making notes rn.
Reply 2
Yes ik and I really hate the Marianne Izen book bc gives useless info and doesn’t make it clear what you need to know for the exams. Like the mark scheme answer will be one word long but in the book it’s 6 paragraphs, which makes it take SO long to revise. I’m fckd for comp 2 and 3 bc I’ve only really been revising 1
im fine with respiration topic, but i have no clue on biodiversity, human impact and component 1. the best thing to do is to have the spec. like ik its too late but im trying to go over the whole book and make notes, like bullet points. im f up for paper 2 cuz I ditched my bio lessons and went to maths. my teacher cant teach and shows favouritism. so idk anything about homeostasis and kidney...for option we're doing Immunology and disease...hbu
Original post by anyalouisee
Yes ik and I really hate the Marianne Izen book bc gives useless info and doesn’t make it clear what you need to know for the exams. Like the mark scheme answer will be one word long but in the book it’s 6 paragraphs, which makes it take SO long to revise. I’m fckd for comp 2 and 3 bc I’ve only really been revising 1
Reply 4
Ik human impact and population stuff sucks I don’t know it either. At this point I’m just doing past paper questions bc I never understand what they’re asking tbh. I’m doing neuro and behaviour for the option
sooo luckyyyyy. I wanted to do that option but ig our department is really bad. like we hardly learn anything. i mean it is kinda my fault too but overall id say all the teachers should be retired or teaching GCSEs rather than A levels tbh.
Ik human impact and population stuff sucks I don’t know it either. At this point I’m just doing past paper questions bc I never understand what they’re asking tbh. I’m doing neuro and behaviour for the option
Reply 6
I'm doing Eduqas too :/
Such a crap exam board!
Have you read the examiner reports from previous years? The examiners are so sarcastic it is actually a joke. They are the ones writing crappy questions with even crapper markschemes!
i think in paper one, the 9 marker is gonna be about population size/ecosystem or human impact on the environment is gonna come up.
Reply 8
Yeh I agree the last two were respiration and photosynthesis I believe. I reckon growth curve stuff maybe? or cycles? Could be microbiology I guess tho??
Original post by necroticblast
i think in paper one, the 9 marker is gonna be about population size/ecosystem or human impact on the environment is gonna come up.
Reply 9
reading it now
"Truly appalling writing in some scripts which is almost impossible to read" "clearly not appropriate." Wtf they sound hella pissed off
Original post by mnnbv
I'm doing Eduqas too :/
Such a crap exam board!
Have you read the examiner reports from previous years? The examiners are so sarcastic it is actually a joke. They are the ones writing crappy questions with even crapper markschemes!
Reply 10
reading it now
"Truly appalling writing in some scripts which is almost impossible to read" "clearly not appropriate." Wtf they sound hella pissed off

Yeah!
My school spoke to Eduqas because they felt the papers had too much writing to read for each question making it difficult to finish the paper. They replied that there was no evidence and there was actually ample time. However, in one of the examiner reports (cant remember which one so I'm paraphrasing here) they said 'students must avoid brain dumping and not answering the question asked'... that literally shows people didn't have enough time to read the questions fully so ended up reading keywords and rushing to put stuff down.
Ridiculous.

I honestly believe that the exams should be written by a relatively younger teacher who is still working and teaching A levels. The current examiners seem to have a very unrealistic view of the average A- level student.

I cant wait for these exams to be over, I never want to even hear the name 'Eduqas' again.
(edited 4 years ago)
That sucks. At least the grade boundaries are low
Me too. I never want to hear biology exams again, honestly, true, they should let younger teachers write the exams. It's also hard when ur teacher is old and should be retired by now but they decide to teach A- levels. Chop chop wake up, A- levels aren't jokes!
ngl, some are calm, like they can actually teach but some...I dont even wanna start
Original post by mnnbv
Yeah!
My school spoke to Eduqas because they felt the papers had too much writing to read for each question making it difficult to finish the paper. They replied that there was no evidence and there was actually ample time. However, in one of the examiner reports (cant remember which one so I'm paraphrasing here) they said 'students must avoid brain dumping and not answering the question asked'... that literally shows people didn't have enough time to read the questions fully so ended up reading keywords and rushing to put stuff down.
Ridiculous.

I honestly believe that the exams should be written by a relatively younger teacher who is still working and teaching A levels. The current examiners seem to have a very unrealistic view of the average A- level student.

I cant wait for these exams to be over, I never want to even hear the name 'Eduqas' again.
I hope so
That sucks. At least the grade boundaries are low
i do! dreading comp 2 ... its my worst!

Not sure if there's already a discussion for eduqas bio this year so I made one. Does anyone else even do this exam board?!
anyone know what we actually need to know about planetary boundaries...the spec is quite vague and the textbook has soo many pages on it..also the spec and the textbook call the boundaries different names.. only 1 or 2 though
Yeah unfortunately im on this terrible exam board too. Ive been trying to use the question bank on their website, but im not sure how useful they are cause most of them are like before 2015 which were SO MUCH EASIER, now its full of application and practicals
Reply 17
I hope eduqas examiners find and read this thread so they actually understand about the lack of relevant resources, correct textbooks (the endorsed ones have a ridiculous amount of mistakes) and the abstractness of the actual exams. I mean, the past paper questions on why farmers use Bushels and the taste of a preserving agent are not related to the specification in any way.
(edited 4 years ago)
I KNOW RIGHT I hate the questions so much I don’t understand what they’re asking for and revising the **** load of contenT DOESNT EVEN HELP because the exams are so abstract!!!
I feel like they need to reduce the amount of content and not waffle the questions... like they try and include multiple topics in one paper... they even try to include topics from other paper in a paper that's not supposed to come up....bs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending