The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level history from Apartheid to rainbow nation!

Discussion thread for the paper.
Any predictions?

Mine is Soweto will be the source Q

Scroll to see replies

Original post by c_bendelow
Any predictions?

What’s your prediction on section B??
Reply 2
Original post by Amandaedegbe
What’s your prediction on section B??

Something from topic one or two. Maybe reasons for national party victory 1948. Probably something to do with sharpeville
Reply 3
I think something on negotiations for Section B, maybe internal/external threats to the National Party.
I don't have a prediction but I got an essay you could read?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5970732
If you could find out what came up in the AS paper this year it could help us predict this years A level paper. So if you know anyone who has done the paper recently ask them ASAP.
Any predictions?

If anyone knows someone in year 12 who is doing AS and has done this exam ask them what the questions were and it could literally be the difference between a grade or two.There has always been a correlation between AS and A level. Even if they are not your friend just ask them honestly.
Any predictions?

Reply 7
Anyone found out the AS questions from this year?!
Reply 8
the three essay choices in the AS this year were

how accurate is it to say that the impact of the second world war was responsible for the National parties victory in 1948

to what extent did the methods of the ANC change in the years 1948-64

how accurate is it to say that the 1976 Soweto uprising did not threaten the system of apartheid?

- my teacher emailed this years AS paper to me thats how i know
Original post by Alice-i
Anyone found out the AS questions from this year?!
Reply 9
when you say that there us always a correlation, do you mean that similar topics come up in the a level that do in the AS in the same year?
Original post by ijustflopped
If anyone knows someone in year 12 who is doing AS and has done this exam ask them what the questions were and it could literally be the difference between a grade or two.There has always been a correlation between AS and A level. Even if they are not your friend just ask them honestly.
What were the source questions?
Original post by pmoun
the three essay choices in the AS this year were

how accurate is it to say that the impact of the second world war was responsible for the National parties victory in 1948

to what extent did the methods of the ANC change in the years 1948-64

how accurate is it to say that the 1976 Soweto uprising did not threaten the system of apartheid?

- my teacher emailed this years AS paper to me thats how i know
Why is source 3 valuable to the historian for an enquiry into attitudes towards international sanctions against South Africa in the mid 1980s

How much weight do you give the evidence of source 4 for enquiry into Verwoerd’s aims and belief in the years 1960-61
Reply 12
Looking at 2018 and 2017, I think the similarities between questions for this paper are a lot less sound. It's useful of course to see the AS questions but I would just be wary; USA seems pretty consistently similar but South Africa a lot less so, especially considering theres way more questions in the AS Paper 2 than in the A Level.
Any predictions?
I think something to do with African nationalism might come up whether it be the defiance campaign as a source or something like that. Perhaps strengthening separate development, or challenges to NP power. Sharpeville as the source would be a dream though
Sharpeville maybe, what period for the NP challenges? and yh could be nationalism like defiance C, black sash, youth league, pass protest, freedom charter / PAC
Original post by Enchante123
I think something to do with African nationalism might come up whether it be the defiance campaign as a source or something like that. Perhaps strengthening separate development, or challenges to NP power. Sharpeville as the source would be a dream though
Challenges 68-83 like either external e.g. boycotts & economic sanctions or internal e.g. NP scandal, bantustan issues and political opposition
something like - how significant were anti apartheid leaders in challenging apartheid 68-83

Original post by Enchante123
Challenges 68-83 like either external e.g. boycotts & economic sanctions or internal e.g. NP scandal, bantustan issues and political opposition
whats the likelihood of chapter 4 coming up, if so, any predictions on what part of chapter 4?
Reply 19
i really hope it doesnt come up but idk
Original post by princess0909
whats the likelihood of chapter 4 coming up, if so, any predictions on what part of chapter 4?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending